• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heavy snowfalls in Italy

madflyhalf

Bench Player
Country Flag
Italy
Club or Nation
Reds
Guys, I've never seen something like this in my life, and I'd like to share, because it's quite amazing, and probably a historical event since 1985, and maybe 1956 as well.

I live near Bologna, in the centre-north of Italy, a strange city extremly hot and wet in summer and very cold in winter... In facts it uses to snow 2 or 3 times per winter, with significant measures (from 10 to 20, and sometimes 30cm), but it uses to last for a day, and snow can cover fields for a week or two, than it melts rapidly.

But this time it's something I've never seen before.

It's snowed for 48hrs from tuesday, a day of pause yesterday, and this morning it started again!!

We are at 61m above sea level, 44.4715N, it's -6°, and forecast says buran winds will bring temperature down to -15 in the next couple of days!

This is what I saw and what I'm seeing from my windows...

wednesday night
foto0088c.jpg

thursday morning

31800d1328108013-nevicate-31-gennaio-2012-quella-bomba-di-freddo-che-p2010190.jpg

p2020199.jpg

p2020202.jpg

p2020209.jpg

The river Reno, partially frozen (it was only -2°C)
p2020208.jpg

p2020207.jpg

Today:
p2040002e.jpg

p2040003m.jpg

The big neighbourhood table on my courtyard is slowly disappearing. :D
Tonight I'm gonna measure again...

Everything in the city began to be paralised, there are hundreth of km of streets to keep clean but it's almost impossible with all this snow continues to fall, ice is slowly forming, and salt can't keep streets clear below -6°C

I fear my local league will be locked untill middle of march........ :eek: :eek: snow it's not the only problem, but frozen pitch are extremely dangerous!

Plan B: I like skiing and I will realize how to enjoy anyway! :D

Last edited:
Apparently it's below minus 30 in the Czech Republic. This cold snap is crazy!

Yep.

And this autumn and the first part of winter have been extremely dry, and insanely warm, with big troubles in Emilia Romagna region, where in some county (provinces) water has been rationed since early december!

Mountains near here were snowless (we have a couple of big ski resort at 70-90km), agricolture was struggling, and pollution made air unbreathable!

@Jockstap
Ahaha yes, for sure!!

Any pictures from Rome? Would be fantastic to see the Eternal city covered in snow.

Oh what the ancient Romans would have thought of the sight of snow in Rome.

ROTFL!!!!

It was made in a small village at 600m a.s.l. (1800ft), 35km away from Rimini that recorded 306cm of snow between jan 31st and feb 12th!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts