• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HEC ¼ Final - Leicester v Bath

A

An Tarbh

Leicester go into this weekend's quarter final having picked up a massive psychological boost with a league victory over the same oponents at the Rec on Saturday.

Leicester qualifed as 3rd seeds having eliminated Stade Français on the way, Bath would have had a higher seeding but for their final day defeat at home to Leinster.

I'd expect a cracking match here, with Brian Ashton at the helm Bath look to have got some decent backplay together while the Tigers are always going to be a formidable outfit in any European tie.

Let's hope for better conditions than at The Rec, where it chucked it down for the whole game. It'll be a good surface, being the Walker's Stadium, so hopefully both sides can make use of it.

Bath should have Barkley back after around two months out, and Stevens could come back in.

The match better be worth the effort. I'm very inefficiently travelling from Liverpool to Bath for the Easter break via Leicester on Saturday. I thought 'Well, as I'm travelling South anyway...'

this is going to be one good match cant wait for it!i think it is going to be a close match with some excellent rugby in it.may the best team win!TIGERS! :bravo:

Both sides have shown both how good and how poor they can be this season. Could go either way, even if tigers are favourites. I always worry about playing a side in knockout competitions if we have already beaten home and away in the league. (e.g. harlequins, richmond)

Should be a great match, both sides still having a lor to prove if they to get any silverware this championship. Leicester have the mental edge going into the match, but I expect a even sides match.

But hopefully Tigers will win anway :bravo:

Coco

Leicester Tigers team: 15 S Vesty, 14 G Murphy, 13 L Lloyd, 12 O Smith, 11 D Hipkiss, 10 A Goode, 9 H Ellis, 1 G Rowntree, 2 G Chuter, 3 J White, 4 B Kay, 5 L Deacon, 6 S Jennings, 7 L Moody, 8 M Corry (capt).
Replacements: 16 J Buckland, 17 M Holford, 18 L Cullen, 19 L Abraham, 20 A Healey, 21 M Cornwell, 22 A Tuilagi.

Cup best: Winners 2001 and 2002.
Overall cup record: Played 66, won 47, drawn 1, lost 18.
This season: Clermont Auvergne (h) won 57-13, Stade Francais (a) lost 6-12, Ospreys (h) won 30-12, Ospreys (a) won 17-15, Stade Francais (h) won 29-22, Clermont Auvergne (a) won 40-27.
Top points: 87 - Andy Goode.
Top tries: 3 - Dan Hipkiss.

Bath team: 15 M Stephenson, 14 A Higgins, 13 A Crockett, 12 O Barkley, 11 D Bory, 10 C Malone, 9 N Walshe, 1 T Filise, 2 L Mears, 3 D Bell, 4 J Hudson, 5 D Grewcock, 6 A Beattie, 7 G Delve, 8 Z Feaunati
Replacements: P Dixon, D Flatman, P Short, M Lipman, A Williams, T Cheeseman, L Best

Cup best: Winners 1998.
Overall cup record: Played 45, won 33, drawn 0, lost 12.
This season: Leinster (a) won 22-19, Bourgoin (h) won 39-12, Glasgow (h) won 31-26, Glasgow (a) won 29-10, Bourgoin (a) won 22-9, Leinster (h) lost 23-35.
Top points: 69 - Olly Barkley.
Top tries: 3 - Michael Stephenson.

Bah forgot about the early kick off, only got the last bit of the first half. Teams level at half time 9-9, but Bath just missing a kick before the break to go in with the lead.

Savage performance from Bath to keep Leicester out, and down to 13 players as well. Fatty Goode fecked it up at the end, had the overlap but took it into contact, what a pillock.

What a totally **** game - Andy Goode you deserve to be lynched, we should have won that match.

It's not just Andy that has all the blame, the ref didn;t give us a penalty try after two yellow cards!!! What a ********!

Coco

Bath definitely got a slice of luck with the uncontested scrums, but Goode really should have given it to Tuilagi and he would have strolled over.

bad performance by the tigers!goode what an idiot even i would of passed it! :D

The second yellow card definately saved Bath the game. It probably should have been a penalty try instead, but spending the final ten minutes penned into their own 22m with just 13 players, Bath did defend superbly. Leicester executed very poorly when they did create openings. Haven't seen it on TV yet, but the pitch was very small; it looked narrow and was only about 90m long which didn't help to create an open game.

In terms of quality it was far from a classic, but for atmosphere and tension is was right up there with the best matches I've been to (including winning it in Bordeaux). Considering there were only about 2,200 official Bath fans there (and we were spread around the back ten rows of the ground), we mad a hell of a lot of noise, or at least it felt like it because we were closed in by the roof.

The bath fans made a lot of noise because us tigers fans had precious little to cheer about. We had such clear chances at the end, but completely messed it up. But we didn't look hungry untill the last 10 mins anyway. Fact is you boys at Bath deserved the win. At least you knew how to pass the ball and looked hungry for the win. Overall a poor match, dominated by defences and tigers taking the wrong options and playing poor passes. We can't even blame the ref, as any arguable decision from where i was sitting was 50-50 at best. tigers are looking more and more like England. No longer able to dominate up front and give the backs the room they need, and bereft of attacking/passing skills. We desperately need Gibson back in the centre.

Latest posts