• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HEC: Llanelli Scarlets - Castres (12-11-2011)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Heineken%20Cup.png

Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli (12-11-2011, 15:00)

Scarlets.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Castres.png

[TABLE="class: grid"]
[TR][TD] Llanelli Scarlets [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] Castres [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 15 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 14 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 13 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 12 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 11 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 10 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 9 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 8 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 7 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 6 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 5 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 4 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 3 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 2 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 1 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 16 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 17 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 18 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 19 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 20 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 21 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 22 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD] [/TD][TD] 23 [/TD][TD] [/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

Scarlets team to face Castres 12th November 2011, Parc y Scarlets kick off 3pm: 15 Liam Williams, 14 George North, 13 Scott Williams, 12 Jon Davies, 11 Sean Lamont, 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Tavis Knoyle, 1 Iestyn Thomas, 2 Matthew Rees (capt), 3 Rhys Thomas, 4 Dominic Day, 5 Damian Welch 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 Johnathan Edwards, 8 Ben Morgan.Replacements: 16 Ken Owens, 17 Phil John, 18 Rhodri Jones, 19 Sione Timani, 20 Richie Pugh, 21 Rhodri Williams, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Daniel Evans.Rob McCusker (sprained foot) and Keiran Murphy (calf strain) have been ruled out through injury.
I think Turnbull, Manu and Stoddart have longer term injuries.

Would have rather seen Iongi on the bench tbh to see how he'd get along, plus Evans isn't anything special. Good to see Priestland back though, hopefully he'll keep his form, and good to see Liam Williams take up his natural position of fullback.

Wasn't even on radio! Not fair:( Although the highlights made it look like a really good game, epic try by Ben Morgan. Might as well enjoy it, could be our only win:p

Scarlets looked very good from the highlights, could have scored 5 or 6 tries. Good win, but it only get's tougher from here on, but if they can somehow get some kinda parity up front against Northampton and Munster then those backs are lethal and could cause some serious damage! Next week away to Northampton will tell us alot about how far they'll go in this competition, I'm worried about a repeat of Leicester away last season where they were taken apart up front.

Scarlets looked very good from the highlights, could have scored 5 or 6 tries. Good win, but it only get's tougher from here on, but if they can somehow get some kinda parity up front against Northampton and Munster then those backs are lethal and could cause some serious damage! Next week away to Northampton will tell us alot about how far they'll go in this competition, I'm worried about a repeat of Leicester away last season where they were taken apart up front.

Yeah, the tight five is still a worry for the Scarlets. Didn't see the highlight, but I hear Shingler put in a good showing. Wonder where he will end up. The Scarlets backrow still lacks a proper seven, while Turnbull and McCusker are both capable on the blindside. He doesn't really have the bulk needed for second row, but which Scarlet lock does? I might be tempted to keep Shingler at 6 and put McCusker at 7 when he is fit. He has decent pace and I feel could pass as an openside better than McCusker.

I have heard of this young Scarlets openside who was offered a contract by Toulouse (!). Daniel Thomas is his name, haven't heard of him until this week.

The Scarlets lack a fetcher at 7 and looking at whats behind there is little to come through at this moment in time. As for Shingler at 6 and McCusker at 7. The Scarlets tried this the other night. They were ok but I think Shingler has a better chance of playing for Wales as a second row rather than as a flanker.

Shingler has a better chance of playing for Wales as a second row rather than as a flanker.
Probably true, but I don't really see him in line for Wales right now. Scarlets need some proper locks, hopefully he can bulk up a bit more.

Yeh, second row is an ongoing problem at the Scarlets. They really need a big, knarly 19 or 20 stone lock who can help out the tightead scrum time. Alas they haven't got that option, so they'll have to do their best really. They have a couple of options on the tightead, but none of them are top scrummagers (although I think Rhodri Jones has a huge future ahead of him). They may get away with it against Munster, even if their scrum has improved significantly this season, but Northampton probably have the best scrum in Europe, and they could mangle the Scarlets next week in that aspect. I also feel the Scarlets are particularily bad at defending the rolling maul (as shown again today). They just seem incapable of getting someone in there to disrupt the ball.

On the plus side, Liam Williams looked impressive at fullback from the highlights which is encouraging. We always need more fullbacks in Wales. North is still an almighty beast, 90% of the time he beats the first defender it seems, then goes on to carry another 2 or 3 with him for 10m. It's almost frightening to think about how good he could become. Unlike some players, it's difficult for defenses to 'find him out' as they they, because he's got the lot. He can run round a player, he can jink off his left and right feet, he can hand a player off, and he can run straight over a defender when he feels like it. I'm struggling to think of a more all rounded player physically, even the great Lomu couldn't sidestep like North can, although granted he was slightly bigger, and a little faster.

The need for a 'big, knarly lock' as Dull put it is why we signed Sione Timani. I haven't been that impressed with him so far but hopefully he will improve as he is given more chances. We probably could have made a better signing but at least he was cheap and was playing for Carmarthen Quins so shouldn't take too long to settle. As for Aaron Shingler, I hope to see him bulck up to play in the second row, I think he has big potential there. Liam Williams looked to have a good game.

I think consistency is our problem with our forwards, i remember 2-3 years ago Jonathan Edwards broke onto the scene and looked like a real promising 7 but hasn't really played well in a while. Same problem with a few others, they can have the odd massive game, and then in the other games they just look average. All we need to do is hold our own at scrum time and we can challenge anyone, we might need to invest in some cement based rugby boots. haha

I rate Turnbull as a 7, personally. Whilst he's injured, though, I'd go with a team of-

Iestyn, Smiler, Rhys Thomas, Timani, Welch, Shingler, McCusker, Morgan; Tav, Priestland, Lamont, Foxy, Scott, George, Liam Williams

The Scarlets have to play at a fast tempo to be Northampton. Not because the Saints can't cope, but because the Scarlets couldn't cope in a more forward-dominated battle. With the exception of Iestyn, the players selected are the better carriers of their position available, and all capable of keeping up with a running game. I'd go with Priestland over Steve for the same reason- He's quicker and takes the ball flatter. Keep attacking, keep hold of the ball. That's all the Scarlets have to do.

Latest posts