• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heinken Cup Draw

My only worry for Irish provinces is how much IRFU interfere due to World Cup like I know all players will be allowed play h'cup but for preperation and playing full team together is vital and we in world cup year

When it comes to the Italian sides,I'll believe it when I see it. Fact is, alot of these boys haven't played before and alot of them are just plain bad. a team looking to win the HC should still look to be racking up quite a score against them, just like you would against Glasgow, Scarlets, or Dragons.

Pool 1 - Cardiff, Northampton Saints, Edinburgh, Castres - Saints win, Cardiff second

Pool 2 - Leinster, Clermont, Saracens, Racing Metro - Clermont win

Pool 3 - Munster, Ospreys, L Irish, Toulon - Toulon win

Pool 4 - Biarritz, Bath, Ulster, Aironi - Biarritz win, Bath comes through as well

Pool 5 - Leicester Tigers, Scarlets, Perpignan, Treviso - Leicester Tigers

Pool 6 - Toulouse, Wasps, Glasgow, Dragons - Toulouse win

Toulon over the 09 champions and ML champions? That's a big shout.

some very exciting groups this year. Munster will strugle but if they can find their form an play consistantly they will get through. I think Ulster have a good chance of making through, they have real talent and were unluckey last year. If Leinster can beef their scrum up a bit and some of their players canuse their ability a little better I really think they can pull it off.
Toulon have a great side but I don't think their ready yet. For me the team the gets off to the best start and takes their oppourtunities will get through.

Toulon is a very big shout. They lost to the Blues at Home in the Amlin final, and I think the Ospreys are possibly a slightly better team than the Blues (not much in it though). I'll be backing the Ospreys to top the pool as I think their end of season performances have been a genuine turning point for them.

Blues also have a big chance to top their pool. They showed they're mettle at the end of the season, winning away at Toulon in the Amlin Final. They won't have a bad first half of the season like they did last season, and I can see them beating Northampton at home, if not away too. Edinburgh have yet to perform in the HC, and they dropped off badly towards the end of this season, so I'd hope the Blues can do the double over them. Castres away will be an important match.

Welsh bias obviously, but I think I finally have the right after both teams claimed trophies this season, the hard way!

Scarlets and Dragons (especially Dragons) won't be push overs. Hopefully both can show some better form in this seasons HC. The Dragons have recruited quite well, so I have some hopes for them, but it's a tough group. Scarlets can beat everyone in their group on their day, but Leicester will be too strong at home, as should Perpignan. Not sure what to expect with the Scarlets tbh, last season showed that they can pull off some good wins, but can be shocking too. Confidence will be all important for them.

Last edited:
These groups are very hard to predict because I really don't know which sides will be on top form by next season. I actually think every side has a good chance of qualification. However looking at Ulsters team at the moment they could be real under dogs. The Dragons may also spoil a teams early celebrations.

Toulon over the 09 champions and ML champions? That's a big shout.

Unless Munster magic up a world class front row they're going to be destroyed in the scrum and I'd say their back lines are just about equal so I reckon they'll edge out Munster. The Ospreys are great on paper and in the ML but in Europe they don't tend to well e.g. getting knocked out in the HC quarter finals. I'd be surprised if Toulon didn't win the group, but hey, everything is subject to form/player injury. If Haymen and Smith are injury free then they'll cause so many problems for teams like Munster.

Veux Munster have 2 H'Cups despite having a scrum that gets destroyed. And well Du Preez will help improve that area. I actually think that maybe just maybe 2 teams may come come out of this pool although I not sure.
I think Munster will finish in the top 2 at worst because unlike the rest Munster have the experience of picking up vital bonus points on the road. But I think until the fixtures come out then we can't call any of the groups. Eg. If Munster got Toulon in rounds 3 and 4 and had Toulon away in round 4 then if they lost in Thomond and away to say Ospreys or L. Irish then they might just forget the competition and concentrate on the Top 14.

I think Leinster have the worst of the 2 groups though as Clermont is a fortress and well teams who go there have to die on field to maybe get something. Will be interesting too Schmidt returning so soon but I confident because Munster and Leinster are better teams when the stakes are high and competition is tough.

Unless Munster magic up a world class front row they're going to be destroyed in the scrum and I'd say their back lines are just about equal so I reckon they'll edge out Munster. The Ospreys are great on paper and in the ML but in Europe they don't tend to well e.g. getting knocked out in the HC quarter finals. I'd be surprised if Toulon didn't win the group, but hey, everything is subject to form/player injury. If Haymen and Smith are injury free then they'll cause so many problems for teams like Munster.

The Ospreys have still made it out of some very tough pools in the past three seasons, whilst I'm sure you're aware of Munsters record of progressing to the quarters.... All four teams in Pool 2 have the quality to top the pool though. Can't wait, I really can't.

Veux Munster have 2 H'Cups despite having a scrum that gets destroyed. And well Du Preez will help improve that area. I actually think that maybe just maybe 2 teams may come come out of this pool although I not sure.
I think Munster will finish in the top 2 at worst because unlike the rest Munster have the experience of picking up vital bonus points on the road. But I think until the fixtures come out then we can't call any of the groups. Eg. If Munster got Toulon in rounds 3 and 4 and had Toulon away in round 4 then if they lost in Thomond and away to say Ospreys or L. Irish then they might just forget the competition and concentrate on the Top 14.

I think Leinster have the worst of the 2 groups though as Clermont is a fortress and well teams who go there have to die on field to maybe get something. Will be interesting too Schmidt returning so soon but I confident because Munster and Leinster are better teams when the stakes are high and competition is tough.

Did their scrum get destroyed this year? Yeah
Did they get a Heinekin Cup? No
Was their scrum worse than last year? Yes
Did they get a Heinekin Cup last year? No

Did their scrum get destroyed this year? Yeah
Did they get a Heinekin Cup? No
Was their scrum worse than last year? Yes
Did they get a Heinekin Cup last year? No

to be fair they have actually just signed wian du preez regarded as one of if not the top srcummager in SA

Yes, but they do have a slightly better record than Toulon, which must be taken into account. This is Heineken cup rugby and being able to navigate your way out of the group stages for like a billion years* in a row is pretty good going. They've reached the semi finals in the last two years and won it in 08'. I don't think Toulon can be considered favourties for the group really, they've done bugger all really.

Yes, but they do have a slightly better record than Toulon, which must be taken into account. This is Heineken cup rugby and being able to navigate your way out of the group stages for like a billion years* in a row is pretty good going. They've reached the semi finals in the last two years and won it in 08'. I don't think Toulon can be considered favourties for the group really, they've done bugger all really.

On paper the Toloun side should gave beaten the Blues. Although next season they won't be any mugs and I think they will be there or there abouts come end of the group stages.

Toulon may have a great side but I dn't think their win or even come second in the group. This is their first year an I think they were really stunned in thefinal of the amlin challenge. Really Toulon are just not ready.

I've lost track here... Is it Leinster or Munster whos name has already been engraved on the cup for next year?

Latest posts