• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

High School Musical

G

Gay-Guy

When the first HSM came out I instantly wrote it off as rubbish without giving it a fair go.  I see Grease as the king of all High School movies and have little time for anything else anymore. 

Anyway...through the influence of my students...I have started to like HSM more and more.

Now I can confess that I am a fan.  I am coming out of the closet.  I stop at lights and do not turn the song down.  I think Gabriella is gorgeous blah blah blah...I love the song "We're all in this together" and my class is doing a video to it.....and I keep playing on repeat the song "When there was you and me".

I nodded my head in recognition when TV4 (NZ) had rated Zac Efron as the seond hottest guy of 2008.

Anyway...now I have started downloading Youtube videos of some HSM songs.

I am glad I am a late starter as I have 3 movies worth of music to discover.

I love the gay almost cheasey music as it reminds me of a time of innocense before we started to get so caught up in hip hop ganster/ metal/ emo stuff as adults.  I suppose in a sense this is also why I like ABBA.

So....am I alone here regarding High School Musical?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Dec 7 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Proof that you are living up to your name's sake :p

HSM is scum![/b]

I have to agree with Melon I'm afraid Gay-Guy. HSM is an absolute disgrace to all things about todays generation. It almost makes me sick that **** like this makes millions of dollars.

I've never watched a whole movie only about 2 or 3 songs because it just seems to happy to me and I've been in ftw mode for the last 2 years. I think I need a hug but HSM aint for me but I still crack up when I see Grease makes me laugh how they thought having grease in your hair and walking and talking like that was cool.

My nieces go crazy over HSM thou they love it and they asked me about 3 months ago if I could get HSM 3 for them but I had to tell them I wasn't even sure if it was out in America yet. Anyway the only thing I like watching is that main chick that had nudy photos of herself plastered all over the internet but that brother with the afro pees me off because he done lost his roots hard man.

HSM is a sorry excuse for a musical. Grease was ok, but I despise HSM. Its not my cup of tea but I'm into more classical musicals i.e. my personal fave Les Miserables.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyway the only thing I like watching is that main chick that had nudy photos of herself plastered all over the internet[/b]
"Gabriela" -  Vanessa Hudgens.  

I totally understand what you mean by being in FTW mode.  For me HSM is part of me rediscovering my happy side after many years in my 20's succumbing to the peer pressure of South Auckland lets be hard bullcrap.  As a musician I so know that HSM is crap and 100% cheesy rubbish....but that is also what I like about it.  The corny themes in it remind me of an innocense lost....and how dark adults get when they get older with each year and lose their happy teenage attitudes of fun.

Regarding "FTW"

To be quite honest a guy like me listening to HSM driving down the road in my holden in South Auckland is the ultimate FTW statement I can make. I am proud to show I have fun side and refuse to conform anymore to the stereotypical South Auckland themes of thuggery and such like.

In fairness I used to think like this in my 20's and often played S Club songs in the car without caring about what others thought. Truth be told the crowd I was with were secure in their staunchness and happily enjoyed S Club music on our way to our Touch or Rugby games.

In my teens in the 80's when South Auckland was into blues/rock/reggae I would happily agree with the what the women liked (Robert Cray, Ruby Turner) despite those artists being labelled as gay.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Dec 7 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway the only thing I like watching is that main chick that had nudy photos of herself plastered all over the internet[/b]
"Gabriela" - Vanessa Hudgens.

I totally understand what you mean by being in FTW mode. For me HSM is part of me rediscovering my happy side after many years in my 20's succumbing to the peer pressure of South Auckland lets be hard bullcrap. As a musician I so know that HSM is crap and 100% cheesy rubbish....but that is also what I like about it. The corny themes in it remind me of an innocense lost....and how dark adults get when they get older with each year and lose their happy teenage attitudes of fun.
[/b][/quote]Far that's exactly how I feel like I've lost my innocense and I just keep getting more negative as time goes on. I even try to stay away from things like the news these days because all they show are the bad things happening in the world.

I wish I could enjoy HSM because I can see how much joy it brings to all my nephews n nieces they totally love it. 1 of my nephews he just turned 10 recently found out about Santa and I think it really got to him because christmas is not far away and he doesn't really seem to care much which is very unfortunate.

I watched it for the first time with some of my kids when i was out in America and to watch it with those who truly enjoy it and sing along with all the songs, just makes you enjoy it as well.
I have nothing against it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 7 2008, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I watched it for the first time with some of my kids when i was out in America and to watch it with those who truly enjoy it and sing along with all the songs, just makes you enjoy it as well.
I have nothing against it.[/b]

"some of my kids"? Have you been fathering random women's babies again?

My girlfriend's 9 year old cousin is heavily into this, and while I try to feign some sort of passing interest in front of her, I fear for the moment over Xmas when she might want to watch it with someone and there's only me in the room.

Whilst I can tolerate those yet to reach puberty enjoying it, I find it strange than anyone else should be attracted to such obvious cheese.

However, in its defense it did at least get there first, something which the downright awful Britannia High cannot possibly claim.

Maybe Matt went to Utah.

I saw the first two films, and though I skip through a few scenes every now and then, and I don't think Zac Efron is a very good actor (I think the same of Daniel Radcliffe in his first few HP films for that matter), I still got the soundtrack. I'm a sucker for Disney films, usually animation (anyone who can watch Bambi without going queasy has a heart of stone) since the 'real people' films are a bit too sugary overall, but HSM really does bring that happy feeling you get when watching something not intended for someone your age, but rather for people who are younger and haven't discovered that you can't break out in perfectly synchronised dance at random times and all will be happy in the end.

I'm a fan too :p
The merchandising is a bit creepy though. Butt hat's the case with every successful Disney film, they make an amazing amount of totally unneeded things that sell like hot cakes.
Still have to see the third though, I'll have to wait out until it's released on DVD.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 7 2008, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Dec 7 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 7 2008, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Gabriela" - Vanessa Hudgens.

I totally understand what you mean by being in FTW mode. For me HSM is part of me rediscovering my happy side after many years in my 20's succumbing to the peer pressure of South Auckland lets be hard bullcrap. As a musician I so know that HSM is crap and 100% cheesy rubbish....but that is also what I like about it. The corny themes in it remind me of an innocense lost....and how dark adults get when they get older with each year and lose their happy teenage attitudes of fun.
[/b][/quote]Far that's exactly how I feel like I've lost my innocense and I just keep getting more negative as time goes on. I even try to stay away from things like the news these days because all they show are the bad things happening in the world.

I wish I could enjoy HSM because I can see how much joy it brings to all my nephews n nieces they totally love it. 1 of my nephews he just turned 10 recently found out about Santa and I think it really got to him because christmas is not far away and he doesn't really seem to care much which is very unfortunate.
[/b][/quote]
Hey bro I kow how you feel....been there and stuff.  I think in my 20's I was lucky because I didn't drink or do drugs like the rest of my crowd and the boys often looked to me when it came to "fun" stuff that had nothing pretentious about it.  Some of the best moments in my 20's was when the boys dropped the macho image and had a laugh about silly eggy stuff.  Once we were driving around and then randomly we wound down the windows and started singing maori songs we had learnt in school as 6 year olds as loud as we could.  Gee that really was a laugh.  Another time was when we would be driving along and then out of the blue we would stop the car and get out.  Make a mini ring with our touch cones and play wrestling survivor series and try and push each other out...right there on the side of the road.  Very serious yet very funny lol!  I suppose i was lucky that I was not into the heavy drinking drugs scene that the rest of the boys were into and on nights when I knew they were not drinking I would drive around and pick them up and while they were straight they would relive the days of innocent youthful fun.

Don't get me wrong though...when the weekend approached they would go back to the tough macho image.  However they always enjoyed the moments of being stupid and being young again.

Since I had my own car and was always the sober driver I got to say what music was playing...and strangely enough....the boys never complained once about whatever was on nor did they suggest I play their stuff.  This is because I think deep down they secretly enjoyed the Nolan Sisters and ABBA.

Anyway....yesterday was with a couple of teenagers in my car and I was playing HSM.  At first they didn't know what to think of me playing it because they are 15 and are trying to break into an older than their age group market.  However after a while one of the girls realises that if it is ok for me to like it then it is ok for her to admit she likes it and starts singing away.

Ok, i am a bit slow on this thread.. first time in ages i have had a chance to read around the forum.

anyone i dont have anything against HSM, infact i own the first one on dvd, i didnt like the second as much and havnt had a chance to watch the third but yeah ill watch it. I like all that cheesy type stuff.

Back in the day when i was growing up all my friends were into hip hop and all the harder stuff on the radio or whatever, i just didnt like it. i stayed with what i liked. S Club was awesome lol, also some of the other cheesy stuff around the time was great too, not that i can think of any (i used to listen to bardot though, even got my friend to get their autographs on their cd for me lol)

Still you cant help what you like, and you shouldnt be ashamed for liking it.

my fav "musician" is avril lavigne, and i dont care :) though all my friends are getting sick of being in my car as thats the only cd i carry (i also do it to annoy them lol)

Latest posts