Highlanders?

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Hey, friends!
Quick question - does anyone know why the Highlanders have been getting each of the Friday games thus far? Won't this weekend make four in a row? What gives?
Thanks!
-Dave

Hey, friends!
Quick question - does anyone know why the Highlanders have been getting each of the Friday games thus far? Won't this weekend make four in a row? What gives?
Thanks!
-Dave
Coincidence? Probably maybe.

It does seem like they have a disproportionate about of Friday games this year, hopefully someone has some insight.
Pulling a theory out of my ass, it might be because the Highlanders come from a University town, and Friday night games might sell proportionally more tickets there?

South African teams seldom play on Fridays, again it's possible they have actuaries running some numbers on when people are more likely to attend which stadiums.

i raised this in this weeks thread, no idea, not complaining as its easy to get either home or to the pub but still weird

It's weird, right? I looked ahead and it's about half their fixtures, that seems very intentional...

just checked...7 of our first 9 games are on a friday and one of the other 2 was the Bye...Weird

upload_2019-4-1_17-0-1.png

I think it does have something to do with attendance.

In South Africa, Saturday is the day for sports, and Sunday mostly for Cricket.

Isn't it because the Highlanders are situated in a University town, and most of the students will still be in town on Friday before they perhaps go home for the weekend or are too wasted to attend the following day?

When I studied in Pretoria I loved the friday evening matches at Loftus, then afterwards had a good party session, and then on Saturday went home and returned to Uni on Tuesday.

just checked...7 of our first 9 games are on a friday and one of the other 2 was the Bye...Weird
Exactly, that's what confused me...
Isn't it because the Highlanders are situated in a University town, and most of the students will still be in town on Friday before they perhaps go home for the weekend or are too wasted to attend the following day?
Interesting theory, though one I have absolutely no way of knowing... I actually tried emailing the team through their website, but that was fruitless. :/

I think it does have something to do with attendance.

In South Africa, Saturday is the day for sports, and Sunday mostly for Cricket.

When I studied in Pretoria I loved the friday evening matches at Loftus, then afterwards had a good party session, and then on Saturday went home and returned to Uni on Tuesday.
i assume its something like that, just didnt think they gave it that much thought previously.....you'd be pretty annoyed if you worked friday night or had to drive in form the country

https://thehighlanders.co.nz/media-...brown-confirmed-to-join-coaching-team-in-2020

T Brown back on board, i know he is traditionally an attack coach but im hoping he can bring back a big of the mongrel we've lost this season, going from the best defensive record in 2016 to the second worst this year is a fall from grace, the most obvious issue is guys like smith and naholo have having to make breaks to get us out of our own 22 rather than to score a try, we use to have a game plan where we played in out own 22 but that barely worked with someone like lima let alone the rotating first fives we have now

A few seasons back (probably more than a few) the blues played all the Friday games . I know because they were playing Friday games free to air, and I didn't have paid tv, and it was always the blues, which was annoying because they sucked.

Latest posts