• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Home Brew

M

melon

I started almost 4 months ago and have since made 4 batches.
  • 2 batches of Sparkling Ale
  • 1 of Bavarian Lager
  • 1 of a Stout
I'm in the fairly primitive beginnings of home brewing, as I only brew 60 stubbies/30 long necks (23 litres) at a time. Theres a shop here dedicated to home brewing and there's some pretty impressive stuff! Can't wait til I can afford to get more into it more and hopefully produce better quality brews in a greater quantity!

So who else enjoys brewing at home? Any tips or tricks? Any funny (or disasterous) stories of bottles blowing up, or a complete batch being destroyed from infection?

I have being meaning to do this for a fair while but i do not have the money to do it. :( I would like also to make up a still also but refer to above for the reason not to. :)

Good luck with your brews. :)

Used to do a bit of it back at varsity, using the chemistry department`s equipment :p , would you believe. But nowadays, more likely to make up a small batch of home-made sangria, which goes down very well with crushed ice on a hot December evening. Not really brewing as such, but them fresh pineapples certainly does start to sizzle after a couple of days though!

Yeah, great fun, especially enjoying the fruit of your labours, but hellishly expensive to get all the required equipment. But good luck mate- here`s to enjoying some wonderful summertime bitters! :bonne-de:

I like to brew my own stuff too, well maybe mixing is a better word...esp when ure friends are **** drunk n on the verge of blackin out. Lil bits of bacon in the moslem fellas drinks adds some punch too...they think it's pulp, haha..in liquour!

I've brewed my own wine before when I had a grape vine. Potent, very potent. The grapes actually made better juice than it did wine but hey, practically free wine works for me.

Haha haha haha. Me and my mate used to brew our own when we were 16 and couldn't get served in shops or pubs.

Haha haha haha. Me and my mate used to brew our own when we were 16 and couldn't get served in shops or pubs. [/b]

When i was underaged i always thought about doing that.......but i looked 18 so i could wing it. :D

I do find it ironic that anyone no matter the age can buy home brewing kits but you cant buy basically the finished product.

I want to brew some stout a friend of mine gave me some of the stuff he made and it tasted awesome. :)

We have an ethanol still in our flat's shed. One of my flat mates is a chemical engineering undergrad so he gets his kicks out of running it. Potent stuff, not at all bad as you'd think to be honest. Comes cheap and lasts for ever which is essential when you're living dirt cheap.

We have an ethanol still in our flat's shed. One of my flat mates is a chemical engineering undergrad so he gets his kicks out of running it. Potent stuff, not at all bad as you'd think to be honest. Comes cheap and lasts for ever which is essential when you're living dirt cheap. [/b]

Sounds good. :D i want to do that too. :)

<div class='quotemain'> We have an ethanol still in our flat's shed. One of my flat mates is a chemical engineering undergrad so he gets his kicks out of running it. Potent stuff, not at all bad as you'd think to be honest. Comes cheap and lasts for ever which is essential when you're living dirt cheap. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
In other words, slightly watered down metho :p (without the chemicals that deliberately make you throw up of course)

Stop being scungy ******** and support your liquor industry! Do you want to help your economy or hinder it? Think of your children!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> We have an ethanol still in our flat's shed. One of my flat mates is a chemical engineering undergrad so he gets his kicks out of running it. Potent stuff, not at all bad as you'd think to be honest. Comes cheap and lasts for ever which is essential when you're living dirt cheap. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
In other words, slightly watered down metho :p (without the chemicals that deliberately make you throw up of course)
[/b][/quote]

**** off you do not drink metho it can make you sterile. :eek:

Stop being scungy ******** and support your liquor industry! Do you want to help your economy or hinder it? Think of your children! [/b]

:lol: Idiot.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> We have an ethanol still in our flat's shed. One of my flat mates is a chemical engineering undergrad so he gets his kicks out of running it. Potent stuff, not at all bad as you'd think to be honest. Comes cheap and lasts for ever which is essential when you're living dirt cheap. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Stop being scungy ******** and support your liquor industry! Do you want to help your economy or hinder it? Think of your children! [/b]

[/b][/quote]
Haha yeah if your drink that **** wairarapa_cullen, theres certainly something wrong with you!!!

The liquor industry are ******** sometimes. I refuse to drink the more upmarket brands at full price (of which a few I love to drink)...will only buy on special, because they downsize their stubbies from 375mL to 330 or 350mL!!!!

The liquor industry are ******** sometimes. I refuse to drink the more upmarket brands at full price (of which a few I love to drink)...will only buy on special, because they downsize their stubbies from 375mL to 330 or 350mL!!!!
[/b]
I'll give you some hot tips, as before I picked up this finance job I have atm, I worked at a liquor store. (still do on Saturdays) The main hot tip, ALWAYS buy specials, if you are too picky to not like anything on special you deserve to pay the full price for being a dick. They purposely bump up prices in liquor stores of the non special stuff to make sure that the stuff on special is genuinely good price. Upmarket stuff sometimes goes on special as well so just keep an eye out and load up, for example Moet was on special a few weeks ago and people would buy box loads of them to take advantage of it, yet there will always be those who complain about the price the week after when they didn't stock up when the special was on.

The prices of non special stuff will keep going up as idiots will continue to spend $40 on midstrenghth beer so prices will continue to hover there, plus the specials look better when they do go on special.

Finally, they downsize coz the bloody yobbo's if given more beer are sure to do something stupid, that's why they serve mid strength beer at AFL games, coz they are bloody idiots....I remember at Carisbrook buying a six pack of Speights from the ground bar, heaven!

PS. Buy longnecks if you want more beer!

Yep i've been given those tips by a mate who works at liquorland and woolworths liquor. I tend to by a case of Peroni or Kronenburg 1664 (rarely) if its on special.

Other than that I'll just pay full price for full strength Tooheys New, or if I'm feeling a tad gay, maybe a case of Super Dry.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> We have an ethanol still in our flat's shed. One of my flat mates is a chemical engineering undergrad so he gets his kicks out of running it. Potent stuff, not at all bad as you'd think to be honest. Comes cheap and lasts for ever which is essential when you're living dirt cheap. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Haha yeah if your drink that **** wairarapa_cullen, theres certainly something wrong with you!!!
[/b][/quote]

It's distilled ethanol, the actual stuff which makes alcohol "alcohol". It's only dangerous if you're consuming large quantities straight because it's so high in content. We don't f***ing drink it straight, it'd near kill 'ya, although there's a certain odd dick head in our flat who does. Really, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> We have an ethanol still in our flat's shed. One of my flat mates is a chemical engineering undergrad so he gets his kicks out of running it. Potent stuff, not at all bad as you'd think to be honest. Comes cheap and lasts for ever which is essential when you're living dirt cheap. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

It's distilled ethanol, the actual stuff which makes alcohol "alcohol". It's only dangerous if you're consuming large quantities straight because it's so high in content. We don't f***ing drink it straight, it'd near kill 'ya, although there's a certain odd dick head in our flat who does. Really, it isn't as bad as it sounds.
[/b][/quote]
I know what you mean :p only joking around.

Nothing like a bit of moonshining. Whilst it isn't traditionally what is known as Moonshine (none of it is now really I think? I could be mistaken though), there a plenty of people around that will make Moonshine as strong as anywhere between 40 and 80%!!! I think you could call that distilled ethanol!!!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Nothing like a bit of moonshining. Whilst it isn't traditionally what is known as Moonshine (none of it is now really I think? I could be mistaken though), there a plenty of people around that will make Moonshine as strong as anywhere between 40 and 80%!!! I think you could call that distilled ethanol!!!
[/b][/quote]

Um dude you cant distill ethanol. You need potatoes or something similar i believe ferment that for a couple of weeks (use your average fermenting barrel from a homebrew kit) and then you distill the alcohol from that.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Um dude you cant distill ethanol. You need potatoes or something similar i believe ferment that for a couple of weeks (use your average fermenting barrel from a homebrew kit) and then you distill the alcohol from that.

[/b][/quote]
Whatever Trevor :p

I make beer not spirits :bleh!:

Latest posts