• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How bout a set of rugby awards too?

F

feicarsinn

I was thinking, as I do from time to time, that here at the rugby forum our views are often at odds with the powers that be in the game. Just as a thought why don't we have our own rugby awards, something like the IRB ones but with the forum voting on the winners? Before you bring it up I know we already have the TRFies but these deal with just the forum itself. Why can't, the chosen few, get to judge the rest of the rugbying world, eh?

We could have categories like Best Match, best international side, best regional/club/provincial side, best player, worst international player, best try etc.

Well I'd thought I'd just throw it out there, take it or leave it.

There is of course the risk of it turning into a North/South cock waving contest, with whichever hemisphere has more representation on TRF cleaning up. But I like the idea! :)

Well a suppose a bit of honesty would be required from members. For example everyone knows the Bulls are amazing and would be a dead cert for an award.

Good idea. For 2009 I'd expect Springboks, Bulls, and du Preez/ Brussow to clean up.

Best match and best try would be much more exciting debates. Of matches I've watched, I'll nominate Ireland vs Wales 6N; Leicester vs Cardiff HC & Lions vs South Africa 2nd Test. Currie Cup Final looked like a cracker as well.

Sounds like a good idea, though it could come down to which hemisphere has the most members,
For example, i haven't watched any SH rugby in the past few months, so would only really take into account NH rugby + what i've seen of SH from lions and AIs

I like the sound of this. How about you draft up a full proposal and put it on here?

You should call the Player of the year award "The Brian O'Driscoll Award" then hand it out to the some springbok player as a kind of second prize.

That way we'd all be happy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 10 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You should call the Player of the year award "The Brian O'Driscoll Award" then hand it out to the some springbok player as a kind of second prize.

That way we'd all be happy.[/b]

Could also make some parody awards too, like

Stupid Comment Award
Worst Kit Award

etc.

Nahh they are covered in the TRFies and I full expect to be nominated (at least ) for numerous awards.

I also like the idea.
Maybe, to keep it fair. Everybody has to nominate in a NH and SH list, so make two lists.
This way NH and SH get an equal amount of votes.

Sweet. Roysh well I gotta study a bit over the next while so I'll try to throw it up by thursday.

Brian O'Driscoll for World Player of the Year in the NH (HEC and 6 nations) and the SH (Lions)

I got bored so I thought I'd make a start on an actual proposal for this thing:

Ahem,

Basically what I'm putting forward is another set of awards run completely separately from the TRFies. The TRFies celebrate forum members and their general contribution to life here on TheRugbyForum whereas these new awards (let's call them TRF Rugby awards for now, for lack of a better name) would be more rugby orientated. They would focus not on the members of the forums, but on the rugby world at large, celebrating the best (and possibly worst) players and teams in the game.

Voting could be carried out in a similar way to the system used by the TRFies. Members would post their nominations for awards in a specially dedicated subforum so as to cut down on clutter. Each member could be rewarded by a rep point for posting their nominations. This nomination process would last roughly 2 weeks. After this the top 5 nominees in each category would be taken forward to the voting period which again would be 1-2 weeks long (dependant on number of votes received etc.). We the tot up the results and work on issuing the awards(by that I mean putting an article on the main page and if at all possible try to get in contact with one of the winners, however unlikely). If the effort is made to launch this by the end of November, the results could be in roughly around Christmas time which would be a nice touch.

I'd recommend we start of with around 7 or 8 categories at the start. Any more and it would be a tad excessive, no? Anyway I' do with:

* Player of the Year

* International team of the year

* Club/Provincial team of the year

* Match of the year

* Manager of the year

* The Wayne Barnes award for Hate Figure of the year

* Worst Jersey of the Year

* Try of the year

I dunno how the situation with the two codes would be resolved to be honest, we could either have two separate set of awards or incorporate them both into one, which would probably be alot easier.

I think that's about it, at least I don't think I've forgotten anything too big. So back to you, guys.

Couldn't call it the Wayne Barnes award for copyright reasons, but that is a very solid proposal.

Think we could have a Young Player of the Year award as well.

As well as that if we're to do it on the same lines as this year's TRFies the only change I'd suggest would be if somebody or something gets more than 50% of the nominations then we don't have a run off.

And ........... you'd need to define a "young player" but bang on.

And while it sounds stupid, why not have a set of awards for each Hemisphere. While it may sound daft, it removes THE debate from any awards, and means that only people who really know their regions rugby will be passionate enough to vote on it e.g. I wouldnt have a clue who the good young players of the year were in the SH so i will blindly vote for Cian Healy or Keith Earls. Guilford and O'Connor have been pretty imporessive but they are the showpiece names and I only see them once or twice in a blue moon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 23 2009, 02:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got bored so I thought I'd make a start on an actual proposal for this thing:

Ahem,

Basically what I'm putting forward is another set of awards run completely separately from the TRFies. The TRFies celebrate forum members and their general contribution to life here on TheRugbyForum whereas these new awards (let's call them TRF Rugby awards for now, for lack of a better name) would be more rugby orientated. They would focus not on the members of the forums, but on the rugby world at large, celebrating the best (and possibly worst) players and teams in the game.

Voting could be carried out in a similar way to the system used by the TRFies. Members would post their nominations for awards in a specially dedicated subforum so as to cut down on clutter. Each member could be rewarded by a rep point for posting their nominations. This nomination process would last roughly 2 weeks. After this the top 5 nominees in each category would be taken forward to the voting period which again would be 1-2 weeks long (dependant on number of votes received etc.). We the tot up the results and work on issuing the awards(by that I mean putting an article on the main page and if at all possible try to get in contact with one of the winners, however unlikely). If the effort is made to launch this by the end of November, the results could be in roughly around Christmas time which would be a nice touch.

I'd recommend we start of with around 7 or 8 categories at the start. Any more and it would be a tad excessive, no? Anyway I' do with:

* Player of the Year - lets wait til after the Ireland vs SA game

* International team of the year - has to be Springboks with Ireland a close second (an ANZAC team should really look at a tour up North to fill their pockets rather than these damned redundant Bledisloe cup match ups and to have something approaching a Lions tour)

* Club/Provincial team of the year - sad as i am to say it, Bulls

* Match of the year - Lions tour was nothing like the Currie cup final. Didn't watch all the the 6N fixtures, though so hard to compare.

* Manager of the year - is that like coach?

* The Wayne Barnes award for Hate Figure of the year - LOL, another tie... between Schalk Burger and Brian O'Driscoll

* Worst Jersey of the Year - Bath

* Try of the year - Jacque Fourie against the Lions, 2nd test; Fck you, fck you and.. thank you.

I dunno how the situation with the two codes would be resolved to be honest, we could either have two separate set of awards or incorporate them both into one, which would probably be alot easier.

I think that's about it, at least I don't think I've forgotten anything too big. So back to you, guys.[/b]

Also got bored so i thought I'd take the liberty of a first nomination for these categories as above..

and think it would be obvious to add;

Blunder of the year - Berrick Barnes essentially gifting the All Blacks the first test of the year between these two nations and setting Aus up for a very long year.

"Emerging" test player of the year - Heinrich Brussouw edges it IMO

Well we have experience of awards here but very local ones f.e: Best TRF newcomer and etc.

So your idea can be easily organised and followed

Latest posts