• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How do you play rugby?

S

sammypetter

I'm a freshman thinking bout joining my high school's rugby team But I'm not quite sure how to play the sport

I'm a very athletic person so I think I'll do good.
Thanks for any help!

It's in universitas Rugbeia, which is the right place? Unless it was in gaming, now isn't

Best bet for rules/overview of the game is to read the wikipedia page,

But basically: Try and get the ball over the opposition try line and ground the ball, after which there is a conversion attempt, you can only pass backwards, you can kick forwards, if it goes out you get a lineout (like a throwin in soccer, but two lines of players in front of the thrower, and the players jump/get lifted to get the ball), if the ball is knocked/a forward pass there's a scrum, tackled is shoudlers and below only, and you have to (at least attempt to) wrap your arms round the player otherwise it's a penalty, when you're tackled you present the ball to your team on the floor. A ruck is formed when one of the opposition is competing for the ball with one of your guys, best to look up on wikipedia about a ruck, as it can be confusing

A try = 5pts, a conversion = 2pts, Penalties and dropgoals are 3pts

The basic point of rugby is the same as American Football - but in rugby you must physically touch the ball down in the 'endzone'.

Unlike American Football, rugby does not stop once you are tackled. The tackle creates a free-for-all called a 'ruck', or 'breakdown' where anyone on either team can compete for the ball (according to the laws of the game). This is probably the single defining aspect of rugby union that makes it unique amongst other contact sports.

There are 4 other contests for posession besides the ruck. One is obvious - if the ball is bouncing around or in the air then anyone can get it provided they are 'onside'. Another, a 'maul', is similar to a ruck but takes place when a player is tackled and does't make it to ground. This situation comes with its own specific laws. The other 2 contests are set pieces, and take place after the ball has gone dead. A 'scrum' involves the two teams' 8 'forwards' pushing against each other. A 'lineout' happens when the ball goes off the side, and is like a Football throw-in, except players compete for the ball like the restart in basketball. The team that takes the ball into a ruck/ maul, or throws in, or puts the ball into the scrum, is normally expected to get it back.

Another important thing is that the ball can only be passed backwards, which means that the attacking side will generally have everyone lined up behind the ball - unlike American Football or Football where players are all over the pitch. However, you are allowed to kick the ball forwards, provided your teammates who chase the kick are behind you when you kick it. Knocking the ball forwards is the same as a forward pass - illegal. When this happens, possession is handed over to the other team who put the ball into a scrum.

You may only tackle someone in rugby if they are carrying the ball. Blocking is not allowed. Furthermore, you must tackle with your arms wrapped fully around the player, and you must tackle below shoulder height.

Scoring in open play: touching the ball down into the endzone earns you 5 points and is called a 'try'. After this, you get an extra point stlye field goal attempt called a 'conversion', taken in line with where the ball was put down, and worth 2 points. Instead of going for a try, you can also kick a 'drop goal', worth 3 points.

The most common way of scoring, however, is via penalty field goals, called 'penalties'. There are various offences you can commit around the field that result in penalties, and with penalties you have numerous options of what to do. If the location of the penalty is within range of the goalposts, your kicker may decide to take a field goal (in the same way as a conversion). If he kicks it over, his team get 3 points.

Hope that's of use. Try watching some videos on youtube.

Wel being athletic is one aspect but you should also like contact sports and don't be afraid of mean big guys :).
I reckon you watch some rugby on television, maybe try to watch some games of Marseille as they have Jonah Lomu.

Anyway I wish you lots of fun.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Feb 6 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wel being athletic is one aspect but you should also like contact sports and don't be afraid of mean big guys :).[/b]
Yeah, you can't be afraid of being tackled/tackling, thought this can come through practise. I've never been fussed about being tackled, but had some reservations about tackling, but weeks of tackling drills has conditioned it out of me, at worst it'll ache a little at the time, and you'll feel it the next day, but it never hurts as bad as you expect it to

"Pain lasts an instant, but glory lasts forever" :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Feb 2 2010, 05:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You play League, but much better.[/b]

so_much_win.png

thank you so much for your answers

i'm newbie in this sport too and i know only some basic things

the most confusing part for me are the laws of the game and especially the penalties..

i found the complete laws from the official irb site and i'll give it a try to learn them all

please if it's easy for someone to explain me the position of each player..for example what winger,hooker does?

thanks in advanced...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stanley @ Feb 20 2010, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thank you so much for your answers

i'm newbie in this sport too and i know only some basic things

the most confusing part for me are the laws of the game and especially the penalties..

i found the complete laws from the official irb site and i'll give it a try to learn them all

please if it's easy for someone to explain me the position of each player..for example what winger,hooker does?

thanks in advanced...[/b]
If you read from here downwards on the wikipedia page it's got descriptions of the positions/whats expected from the players in the positions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_positions#Backs

Latest posts