• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How does Super Rugby 2016 Actually work

Comenzum

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Ireland
Thank you for checking out this video! Please let me know if you find it useful. If you are confused on anything let me know and I can make another video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing it, it is useful.
It's just the new format, that is plain awful...

There is also a video circulating "how the new Super Rugby format should be" - would have made it way better.

People always complain when changes are made. When the Super 12 increased to the Super 14, with a 5th South African team (Cats splitting into Cheetahs and Lions) and a 5th Australian team (Force), people were complaining because there would be too many games and talent being diluted.

When the NFL/AFL merger happened in the US, people complained. When the NHL expanded in 1967 and a few times since then, people complained. It's the same thing over and over again. The new format is complicated, but not more complicated than the current NFL format (home and away against division rivals, and home or away against 1 division in the other conference, 1 division in your conference + the 2 teams in other divisions in your own conference who finished in the same divisional position the season before)

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that the new format could have been organised better.
We'll see by the end of the season how it worked out.
I just do not see any sense making it so complicated, when it easily could have been done easier...

The thing I like about it is teams that a higher up the ladder in regular season get the better draw in the finals and im assuming a home semi/final if they are ranked higher in the regular season.

Whoever came up with that utter crap last year should of been shot.

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that the new format could have been organised better.
We'll see by the end of the season how it worked out.
I just do not see any sense making it so complicated, when it easily could have been done easier...

Three conferences of six teams would have been a far better format

Africa Conference
- their Six Teams

Australia Conference - their five teams plus the Sunwolves
Makes most sense timezone wise, as Japan is closer to Perth's time zone than to any other franchse

New Zealand Conference - their five teams plus the Jaguares

Playoffs
Conference winners are automatically 1, 2 and 3 seeds on log points order and get automatic home quarter final
Conference Runners up are automatically 4, 5 and 6 seeds on log points - 4th seed gets home quarter final
7 & 8 seeds best remaining teams in any conference in log points order...

QF : Home teams first
Match A - 1 v 8
Match B - 2 v 7
Match C - 3 v 6
Match D - 4 v 5

SF: Home team is highest seed
Match E - Winner A v Winner D
Match F - Winner B v Winner C

Final: Host team is highest seed
Match G - Winner match E v Winner Match F

How simple is that?

Three conferences of six teams would have been a far better format

Africa Conference
- their Six Teams

Australia Conference - their five teams plus the Sunwolves
Makes most sense timezone wise, as Japan is closer to Perth's time zone than to any other franchse

New Zealand Conference - their five teams plus the Jaguares

Playoffs
Conference winners are automatically 1, 2 and 3 seeds on log points order and get automatic home quarter final
Conference Runners up are automatically 4, 5 and 6 seeds on log points - 4th seed gets home quarter final
7 & 8 seeds best remaining teams in any conference in log points order...

QF : Home teams first
Match A - 1 v 8
Match B - 2 v 7
Match C - 3 v 6
Match D - 4 v 5

SF: Home team is highest seed
Match E - Winner A v Winner D
Match F - Winner B v Winner C

Final: Host team is highest seed
Match G - Winner match E v Winner Match F

How simple is that?
I think that Au and Nz were against the travel aspects of having 1 of theres on the other side of the world.
SA wanted an extra team and the pay off was they got the Wolves and Jags in their groups.

Latest posts