• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How many AP players from each academy?

Peat

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Ulster
Inspired by recent tangents in the Transfer thread and the London Scottish thread, I'm curious as to how the academies are actually producing.

So help me out here guys. How many guys in the Premiership are from your club's academy?

Tigers
In this seasons Senior squad (10)
Brugnara
Youngs
Thacker
Cole
Pasquali
Croft
Youngs
Harrison
Smith
Manu
Catchpole
Since Launch counts for Wasps (Don't know why) Balmain would count i guess for Tigers.

Not in senior squad but play last season in the AP at some time or another (6)
Evans
Worth
Bryant
Odogwu
White
Tresidder

(Likely to be brought up next season)
Evans
Worth
Bryant

Last edited:
Do you include players signed into the academy?
Are we including academy players who are essentially senior squad; just not promoted yet?

Bath:
Catt; Dunn; KPN; Ewels; Ellis; Sisi*; GMercer; Cook; Banahan*
9 players with senior contracts; asterisks for those signed into the academy initially

Obano*; Douglas*; ZMercer; WHomer; Clarke
5 academy players who will expect some game time for the first XV this coming year (and may well be promoted to senior contract as well)

Jennings; Hastings
2 academy player who have had game time in the past; but only in emergency.

It would be interesting to discuss the salary cap credits in regards to homegrown players and senior EPS players. That will play a big part in retention in the futute

Cips, Daly, Hask, Jones, Launch, Lozowski, Rowlands, Simpson, Wade, Lundberg

One I can think of elsewhere is Hepburn.

If they've played in the Premiership, they count, regardless of whether they're in the academy, in the senior squad, or in someone else's senior squad.

Players brought into the academy only count if they haven't made their pro debut for another club, although it would be interesting to note all the split development (i.e. Launchbury counts as a Wasps product, but was in the Quins academy for a long time).

If they've played in the Premiership, they count, regardless of whether they're in the academy, in the senior squad, or in someone else's senior squad.
Cheers; in that case we can discount Sisi (3 starts for LI before joining) and ZMercer who hasn't played senior rugby for Bath yet.

Bath:
Catt; Dunn; KPN; Ewels; Ellis; GMercer; Cook; Banahan; Obano; Douglas; WHomer; Clarke; Jennings; Hastings.

Last edited:

Tigers academy players in other AP teams ATM that played last season
Bath
Ford

Harlequins
Walker

Gloucester
Billy Twelvetrees
Henry Purdy

London Irish
Greg Tonks
Alex Lewington
Jimmy Stevens
Scot Steele
Johnny Harris

Newcastle
Callum Green

Saracens
Jim Hamilton

Worcester
Ryan Bower
Perry Humphreys

Loz played came through the Leeds system and played for their seniors, you can't count him as a Cockroach.

Sale:
Neild, Flynn, Harrison, Parker, Nott, Lund, Beaumont, Hughes, Mitchell, James, Jennings, Addison, Haley, Morton, Bedlow, Jeffers

16 with senior caps atm that I can think of, having just lost Brady, TT and O'Donnell.
Briggs came through our system but left for Roth before making his debut, and ELR signed for us from an amateur side in his early 20s but didn't sign into the academy.

Walker counts as a Quins academy product - joined their academy and made his debut there, although duly noted for tracking academy movers.

Players brought into the academy only count if they haven't made their pro debut for another club, although it would be interesting to note all the split development (i.e. Launchbury counts as a Wasps product, but was in the Quins academy for a long time).

I'd say if the player left then both can claim them, so Umaga will be a joint prospect if he makes his premiership debut. Players like Launchbury wouldn't count for Quins, but Jake Cooper-Woolley would (he chose to leave their academy, I don't believe they dropped him).

Loz never made an aviva premiership debut for Leeds...

Loz played came through the Leeds system and played for their seniors, you can't count him as a Cockroach.

Sale:
Neild, Flynn, Harrison, Parker, Nott, Lund, Beaumont, Hughes, Mitchell, James, Jennings, Addison, Haley, Morton, Bedlow, Jeffers

16 with senior caps atm that I can think of, having just lost Brady, TT and O'Donnell.
Briggs came through our system but left for Roth before making his debut, and ELR signed for us from an amateur side in his early 20s but didn't sign into the academy.

Imagine my surprise to see Olyy having a crack at Wasps! ;)

Loz was a Wasps academy product who chose to study at Leeds, with the hope/plan to return to Wasps as soon as he was a full time player and no longer a student, which is exactly what happened.

Walker counts as a Quins academy product - joined their academy and made his debut there, although duly noted for tracking academy movers.

Technically he was in the Academy for Tigers aswell. Not saying he was a product but similar to Luanchbury (Just a younger).

If wasps can claim Loz we can claim Walker to some degree as well.

I said pro debut and would include Championship.

Loz would be a weird one in that I'm guessing he was never a Leeds academy player either.

I said pro debut and would include Championship.

Loz would be a weird one in that I'm guessing he was never a Leeds academy player either.

You also said AP :).

Loz counts either way, he started off a wasps academy player, wasn't dropped by the club, and is now in the AP.

Next season we're likley to field at some stage

Callum Sheedy
Nick Carpenter
James Phillips
Auguy Slowik
Mitch Eadie
Ben Glynn
Joe Joyce
Jack Tovey
Andy Uren

Add to that guys like Marco Mama, Mako Vunipola and Ellis Genge who came through our academy before moving on. Not bad group that, all have promising careers ahead

Sisi
Gibson
Joseph
Both Watsons
Homer
Fisher
Garvey
Thompstone
Yards
Those are the ones who aren't hear anymore to many talented players we let go.

At the club to play probably most of the u18 premiership winning squad plus Fowlie,Brophy clews and Williams

Latest posts