• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How to tackle better?

urbanskaterdude

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
England
Hi, I'm an English 15 year old and a big fan of rugby. I enjoy playing with my friends in the local park every weekend. I'm of average height but fairly light for my age. I've recently been doing lots of weights and muscle/mass gaining to build my weight, as I thought this would help to tackle bigger and better opponents. However, although I've improved, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on how to tackle EVEN better.

If an opponent is running at me, I look at his core, as suggested by the New Zealand rugby coach (on YouTube), and get in a low position. Unfortunately, I find that if I'm in too low a position I cannot tackle him as he can easily step me, and if I'm in too high a position, he just brushes me off. This applies too many of the opponents I've tried to tackle. I my friend tries to run through me, I can often stop him using my upper body alone, and if necessary my legs as well. Unfortunately, if he tries to step me or run off a straight line (ie. run across in front of me rather than into me) he can brush me off and I am unable to get a good solid tackle in. I think it must be my technique as my friend, who does not play rugby, is better at tackling than I am and is smaller and far skinnier than myself.

Can you help me to tackle better? :)

It all depends on what your trying to do an what situation you are in eg. Just trying to bring the guy down or trying to strip him of the ball.

For a frontal tackle bend at the knees lean forward on your toes stay light on your feet so you can change direction to accommodate for a sidestep. when they get within range drive with your legs and hit your shoulder into somewhere soft and squishy and lift a leg to drive them back.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I watched the video on YouTube of you tackling, that was pretty sweet :) I'm just trying to bring someone down to start off, so thanks for your reply

Latest posts