• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How were Woosaah's editors and Baggi Studio made?

davsav93

Academy Player
Hello,

I was wondering. Does anyone know how Woosaah all the way back in the 2000s made the Rugby 06 and 08 edit programmes? Was there a video or were there details on how he did it?

I have the same question r.e. Baggi Studio, which was used for editing a Swordfish Studios cricket game in 2005; I wish whoever made it could recalibrate it for the 2004 and 2006 rugby games Swordfish made (WCR and RC2006).

I am curious as to how these programmes were made.' I'm also wondering if there are any AI tools that could help write edit programmes for the old rugby games we play and would like to modify further.

Many thanks

I've written the rugby editors for rugby challenge and rugby 2022. This is done by decoding the database in HEX, then building structures and user interface on top of it. I don't think AI will help much with that. I have a good boilerplate for writing similiar editors and I can share the code. Alot of the work goes into decoding the database hex.

This is the simplest explanation I can give.

Its been a while...

From memory, all those years ago, I found the offset for the first player, pretty sure I was using notepad++ (Could have been a hex editor) and from there I created the structure. I wrote this all in vb.net all those years ago... I still have the data type file somewhere but I think I lost the code. I could easily do it again and add more functionality (if it was lacking anything) but don't know if there is a need to do that.

Its been a while...
It certainly has, welcome back.

Rugby 08 modding is still going and has entered new areas of modelling and modding in the last couple of years, but Woosah's 08 Editor is still a core part of roster editing. There's some bugs in it here and there but they can be worked around. Any contributions to the modding by anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Frans, I don't think thats necissary unless someone actually wants/needs anything. Plus decompiling doesn't bring back the form information so I would have to redo that from scratch. I actually just had a look and I do have the decompiled code someone anyway that I was playing with. I cringed when I read that. When I wrote this I was just playing around, now I am an actual software developer I would probably be able to do something faster but I still don't do UI :)

I've written the rugby editors for rugby challenge and rugby 2022. This is done by decoding the database in HEX, then building structures and user interface on top of it. I don't think AI will help much with that. I have a good boilerplate for writing similiar editors and I can share the code. Alot of the work goes into decoding the database hex.

This is the simplest explanation I can give.

I remember playing around with HEX when I played Rugby Challenge 2 to copy over players like Jerome Kaino and Sonny Bill Williams from RC1, as well as edit certain parts to be able to edit locked players.

Any bits and pieces you could give would be great! Though I'm far from optimistic I'd be able to do anything with them. Thanks for the reply!

Its been a while...

From memory, all those years ago, I found the offset for the first player, pretty sure I was using notepad++ (Could have been a hex editor) and from there I created the structure. I wrote this all in vb.net all those years ago... I still have the data type file somewhere but I think I lost the code. I could easily do it again and add more functionality (if it was lacking anything) but don't know if there is a need to do that.
Hi Woosaah, last time I saw you posting would have been around 2008-2009 on the old TRF servers! I miss that time of editing as well as those particular years of watching Super Rugby and international test matches... Thanks for the information, I think I need to improve my understanding on certain fundamental aspects of coding before I'd come asking people for specific things. Much obliged.

It certainly has, welcome back.

Rugby 08 modding is still going and has entered new areas of modelling and modding in the last couple of years, but Woosah's 08 Editor is still a core part of roster editing. There's some bugs in it here and there but they can be worked around. Any contributions to the modding by anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Any noteworthy examples?

Thanks Frans, I don't think thats necissary unless someone actually wants/needs anything. Plus decompiling doesn't bring back the form information so I would have to redo that from scratch. I actually just had a look and I do have the decompiled code someone anyway that I was playing with. I cringed when I read that. When I wrote this I was just playing around, now I am an actual software developer I would probably be able to do something faster but I still don't do UI :)
Woosaah, on this point about Rugby 08, there were aspects of the game - kicking styles, kicking power, breakaway speed and tackle-breaking - which seemed to have been hardcoded (for lack of a better term) in the game to certain players and couldn't really be adjusted in the editor. The way around this to update the game's feel was to swap player names and info. in the editor, but then there was the issue of added bits of commentary that were added into the later games ('06 and '08) which stayed with the player IDs. I wonder if these bits of code were ever swappable. I remember finding a data file that had the information listed on BigGui, but I had no idea what to do with it.

Hi Woosaah, last time I saw you posting would have been around 2008-2009 on the old TRF servers! I miss that time of editing as well as those particular years of watching Super Rugby and international test matches... Thanks for the information, I think I need to improve my understanding on certain fundamental aspects of coding before I'd come asking people for specific things. Much obliged.
Yeah, I would have stopped posting as life got busy. My career kinda took off, got married had a kid so life was busy, still is very busy but I never stopped checking in here every now and again.
Woosaah, on this point about Rugby 08, there were aspects of the game - kicking styles, kicking power, breakaway speed and tackle-breaking - which seemed to have been hardcoded (for lack of a better term) in the game to certain players and couldn't really be adjusted in the editor. The way around this to update the game's feel was to swap player names and info. in the editor, but then there was the issue of added bits of commentary that were added into the later games ('06 and '08) which stayed with the player IDs. I wonder if these bits of code were ever swappable. I remember finding a data file that had the information listed on BigGui, but I had no idea what to do with it.
I honestly don't remember any of this stuff bout the biggui data. It had been too long to even think about this.

I did find my old copy of rugby 06 and 08 up in the attic and my kid is now old enough to play these games. I was hoping to get the new rugby game for this world cup but now we have to wait. He plays cricket 22 constantly but we use the PS5 these days as its just more convenient. also my PC has not been updated in about 8 years so it wouldn't be able to play the new stuff.

Yeah, I would have stopped posting as life got busy. My career kinda took off, got married had a kid so life was busy, still is very busy but I never stopped checking in here every now and again.

Completely understood, and how brilliant mate!
I'm sorry for my VERY late reply!
I honestly don't remember any of this stuff bout the biggui data. It had been too long to even think about this.
No worries, again, completely understood! 😂
I did find my old copy of rugby 06 and 08 up in the attic and my kid is now old enough to play these games. I was hoping to get the new rugby game for this world cup but now we have to wait. He plays cricket 22 constantly but we use the PS5 these days as its just more convenient. also my PC has not been updated in about 8 years so it wouldn't be able to play the new stuff.

That's awesome, I'm hoping for a big company to make a game that is good at its core like Pro Evolution Soccer in the 2000s, so everyone can play and build on it how they wish.

I imagine it like a Fanhub with the youth of today adding in their superstars like Kolbe, Mo'unga, Jordan, Pollard etc. and us oldies adding in guys like Wilkinson, Caucau, Carter, Rokocoko, Robinson, Habana, Rico Gear etc.

Latest posts