• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Howlett to Munster?

S

stevemagoo

Just read an article that Doug Howlett is on the verge of signing with Munster...

Deal needs to be ratified by the PAG (Players' Advisory Group)

Anyone else see this?

didnt see this one coming www. munsterrugby.ie

Munster Rugby has announced the signing of All Black Doug Howlett, who will commence a two and a half year contract on January 1st 2008, subject to medical and fitness clearance and the player obtaining a valid work permit.
Munster Rugby Director of Coaching Declan Kidney says “We are delighted to have someone of Doug’s calibre and quality joining the squad. A lot of credit must go to Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald and outgoing Manager Jerry Holland for acquiring Doug’s services in such a complex market.â€

“There’s a lot of rugby to be played in the next few months, however we are looking forward to welcoming Doug to the Munster fold on January 1st.â€

Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald says “Doug is a world class player at the peak of his playing career and is respected by all that know him. Doug agreeing to join Munster is a great boost for our supporters, players and management. We wish him well in the RWC and look forward to him and his family arriving in Ireland.â€

Speaking on the move Howlett said “This was a very big decision to make. I have had an amazing rugby career in New Zealand and I am grateful to every person who has worked with me and contributed to that.

“I consider next year at Munster as a fantastic opportunity to play for another great club and experience a different lifestyle with my family,†says Howlett.

Twenty eight year old Howlett is currently the top try scorer in Super rugby. He made his All Blacks debut in 2000 against Tonga and has since played 60 games for the All Blacks, including 59 Tests, scoring 43 tries. He is just four tries short of breaking Christian Cullen’s all-time All Blacks Test try-scoring record.

At Super 14 level, Howlett became the seventh New Zealand player to reach 100 Super 14 games and with six tries in the 2007 competition he also set a new record for the most Super 14 tries with 59. For Auckland he has played 58 games and has scored 50 tries for the province.

wow. i just saw the headlines on ABs.com

i was expecting him to stay on and put cullens record to rest :wall: :%#%#: looks like the blues are going to miss McAlister, Howlett and Williams. i'm telling you this must definitely be nucifora's fault!

Down With The Nuce!

yes! come to think of it, the blues are losing a lot of players! aww wad a marnis!

That is an absolutely brilliant signing for Munster. Any news on why he chose to go?

Money I'd imagine, plus he gets a handier number playing in the Magners League and Heineken Cup than he would playing in England or France.

what a signing munster have made, he is a world class winger, cant wait to see him in action in the magners

A brilliant signing for Munster but.........how **** is the ball that he's going to get, like Munster don't exactly play an expansive game or utilize their wingers very often :unsure:

but the good thing about dougie is that he doesn't wait on the wing for ball, he does a lot more in the respect that he'll wonder in field to get those pop passes and stuff, with tipoki there, they might change some of their patterns

lol, Tipoki's a ballhog, I still remember that Lions/Maori game when he managed to do what few teams did that year - Freeze out Rico Gear.

What position will Howlett play? I've a feeling he'll be used as fullback. Munster have had to use Shaun Payne, who retired at the end of last season, in the last line of defense due to lack of depth. Howlett coming in and hitting the line could be devastating. Brian Carney has one wing tied down while Anthony Horgan, Keith Earls and Ian Dowling can compete on the other side. At fullback, Munster have no real options - Mossie Lawlor and Denis Hurley aren't good enough for a team aspiring to conquer Europe. Howlett's their best bet.

Latest posts