• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I like Rugby from playing the PS2 games

J

judgeinjury

I got my ten posts out of the way just to come in here and say that I love the EA rugby games and I have very little understanding of the game. I live in Oklahoma in the United States and just picked up the series on a whim three years ago with 2005. I subsequently purchased 2006 and then a few days ago 2008 and my friends and I play them all the time.

What a great crazy sport you guys have going here :)

And although they are rated nearly the worst in the game, my team is the United States Eagles. The USA national team has a few guys that can absolutely fly in the last three Rugby games for PS2. Aside from Hercus and a guy who is 6'9" there's not much else than raw speed to beat people with.

We used to use Mose Timoteo, a Samoan guy who was like high 80's-mid 90's speed if I recall, but unfortuantely he seems to have had an ACL surgery and isn't on the USA team this year. I don't know if he is done or what, but he is only 31. Anyone know the story on him?

I realize the US sucks compared to practically anyone else, but if you put in your fastest islanders and toss the ball like crazy to the sideline guys (wingers? I think), you have a real chance at playing with nearly anyone. Our bitter rivals are Canada who we now spank, and then Japan, but they have that freaking fast guy you all have mentioned here who just leaves a freaking' SMOKE trail down the field. Seriously, is he that fast in real life?

Anyway, enjoy reading about your sport and although I haven't watched a single game on TV or ever played it in real life, my pals and I have a lot of fun slinging that ball and running and leaping with guys with 6 vowels and two hyphens in their last names :)

Rugby FTW!

hey man - welcome

download a game and watch it, or just youtube rugby, super14, trinations, 6nations, etc

i bet you will love it, compared with what you are used to!

hmmm. rugby on the ps2 isnt exactly like rugby in real life. its not as simple as getting the 'sideline guys' the ball. and last time i gave it a glance, canada beat you like you stole something.

but he is only 31

Most international players retire from international level in their late 20's to early 30's.

Seriously, is he that fast in real life?

Ohata. Obviously he's fast, but I haven't seen him so couldn't say how fast. EA is bad with stats so you can't really rely on them.

its not as simple as getting the 'sideline guys' the ball

Yep, it's tactically and strategically a very deep game. Not quite as much as american football since there's no break between each play, but as deep as possible in a flowing game.

As davidson said it's much more than about getting the ball to your speedsters, although I'm not sure whether you were talking about in the game or real life. In a way the game actually simulates real life in that if you keep it tight for multiple phases it'll open up room out wide, but if you just spread it out wide straight away you probably won't get anywhere.

Seriously? People retire in their early 30's? Man this must really be a rough sport on a body.

Yeah after reading here it seems EA really screwed all the fans here by not even updating rosters for 2 years and then selling this game for $50. I can't imagine the furor that would have ensued if they had done this with Madden 08. There would be mass returns, and people would be ******. They just know rugby fans don't have many options for gaming so they took advantage of it. If it's any consolation, They also did this non roster update with their Arena football game this year (indoor american football) since the fan base has no choice there either. They left in several teams that no longer exist and players who retired 2 years ago :)

At least you have a modding communtiy that can get you a roster patch possibly.

If you don't know anything about the rosters or jerseys or such being wrong (like my friends and I), Rugby 08 is by far the most playable and enjoyable of the three I have. I think by releasing it in tandem with the NCAA football game here they were looking to pick-up some new fans/sales from people who saw it on the shelf and thought it might be similar. That's why we even tried it, it looked like fun.

The best description I have seen of a Rugby game for the American audience is that is like a running team in football "on crack" which is a great way to get new fans interested. My favorite college football team here ran an offense that was very "rugby-ish" for the better part of my life (the wishbone) that consisted of lots of tosses and trickery. Here is sample of it, with cheesy 70's music as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQ_JDElmcw...ted&search=

They won a lot of championships with this approach, and the service academies (Army. Navy, and Air Force) still play like this even today.

My favorite pro NFL team also used a Rugby kind of throw in the last seconds of a playoff game to go to the Super Bowl. Woo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd9rKIKS6Jk...ted&search=

Oh and Davidson I meant that we beat Canada in the PS2 game. We just always played Canada since it was one of the few teams we had a chance with while we were learning to play plus they are the closest to us. The other rated 40-ish teams were small islands and Eastern Bloc nations I think. Japan doesn't count because that fast guy make them much better than they are rated :)

In real life it seems that US rugby kind of mirrors US soccer, ie bad but improving. Incidentally we have never once been able to beat New Zealand in the game. Those guys can outrun and run over almost the whole team. And England and Ireland and the like just smash through as well. My little islanders just can't stand up to these gigantic Celtic people!

Oh and we were wondering, who is the largest Player in the world rugby scene?

I'll check out a mtach on Youtube and see what it's like.

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome, hope to learn a lot from you guys about this fun sport.

Phil

A lot of players retire before 30 ;) It's the mileage.

if they had done this with Madden 08. There would be mass returns, and people would be ******

Exactly. They're going to sell the game anyway since we're pretty hardcore and need our rugby fix.

like a running team in football "on crack"

Hmm I prefer teams with strong running games and good defence ;) It's good when people can appreciate sports that don't have a high profile in their own countries. It's funny how video games can teach people to appreciate other sports.

Yeah after reading here it seems EA really screwed all the fans here by not even updating rosters for 2 years and then selling this game for $50. I can't imagine the furor that would have ensued if they had done this with Madden 08. There would be mass returns, and people would be ******. They just know rugby fans don't have many options for gaming so they took advantage of it. If it's any consolation, They also did this non roster update with their Arena football game this year (indoor american football) since the fan base has no choice there either. They left in several teams that no longer exist and players who retired 2 years ago :)

[/b]

This game retails for 29.99 in US, not $50

well at least some good does come out of these games ea are making. welcome to the forum and I hope you learn lots about the great game of rugby and enjoy your time here.

hey man - welcome

download a game and watch it, or just youtube rugby, super14, trinations, 6nations, etc

[/b]
I am in the same situation. I learned about rugby from recently purchasing the EA game. You mentioned downloading some matches. The "only" complete match I was able to find was the classic (maybe 2000) New Zealand vs. Australia. After seeing the contrast of the Haka and Waltzing Matilda, I watched a fascinating match.

Are there other matches online that I can download?

I love this sport!

<div class='quotemain'>
hey man - welcome

[/b]
I am in the same situation. I learned about rugby from recently purchasing the EA game. You mentioned downloading some matches. The "only" complete match I was able to find was the classic (maybe 2000) New Zealand vs. Australia. After seeing the contrast of the Haka and Waltzing Matilda, I watched a fascinating match.

Are there other matches online that I can download?

I love this sport!
[/b][/quote]

If I'm correct, the game you say you watched between NZ and AUS is dubbed "the game made in heaven". Best game ever, scoreline was like 39-35 (I think) to us in the end after a huge Aussie comeback from 24-0 down after 20 minutes. Other than that, not sure where you can download full games. Just watch highlights on youtube as there's some real good stuff on there.

Go to www.stage6.com and search for rugby world cup and then look for the username The Rugby Union Channel he's uploaded 35 full games from the Rugby World Cup and you can download them too. There or you can try www.sealion.co.nz but you can only watch these vids.

Rugby is not all that different to American Football, apart from the scrum, lineouts and some of the rules are different.

Rugby is a very good game and although it is different to the Football you are used to, you will find it exciting and rewarding if you give it a go.

EA are shameless when it comes to rugby games, especially the rosters. You dont know jack about rugby as you say, but the first thing you noticed was that the rosters where wrong.

Forget that for the time being, the ps version's rosters/graphics are not that editable like the pc and this is majorly a pc community here i'd imagine.

Keep with this sport buddy, you will get great satisfaction from it.

Latest posts