• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ICC Bans Sledging

M

melon

Discuss...

On one hand, I suppose they can't say "You can sledge, but not too offensively", but thats impossible to enforce so they've had to outlaw it all together.

On the other hand, there will be blow ups all the time and complaints about alleged sledging because there it would often be difficult to determine whether the talk is between the players of the same team or directed at the other team.

I think all this has done is inflammed all the current issues with sledging...everything will get worse. More disciplinary action, more controversey etc. This decision won't be for the intended good of the game, it will be detrimental.

March 25, 2008 12:00am

THE ICC has banned sledging following India's tumultuous tour of Australia in a move that has stunned past and present Australian cricketers.

The ICC has sent a letter to international match officials, captains and chief executives calling for support in their decision to outlaw personal attacks which are "obscene, offensive or insulting".

There may still be room for occasional banter but the use of swear words and potentially hurtful personal barbs are now all but prohibited.

The move will put umpires under extreme pressure as they must now interpret the context of a sledge and whether it is offensive to a rival nation.

Former Test firebrand Rodney Hogg led an angry response from past and present players last night.

"It will be very hard to police," Hogg said. "I go to the football to see bumps and bruises and I go to the cricket to see a fast bowler sticking it up a batsman. Sledging has always been part of the fast bowler's repertoire.

"The game's in a bit of trouble. They have become too officious. I am glad I retired when I did."

The letter has asked all concerned to learn from India's acrimonious tour of Australia where India's Harbhajan Singh was accused of racially abusing Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds and Australia's Matthew Hayden was reprimanded by his national federation for calling the Indian spinner an "obnoxious weed".

"This is specifically directed at preventing offensive language directed at another person be it a fellow player, official or spectator," said the letter, signed by ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed and the cricket operations manager David Richardson.

"You will appreciate this is not an easy issue. International cricket is played and followed by people from a wide range of cultures.

"What is offensive to some may not be considered so by others.

"It is impossible to define which words or combination of words will be regarded as offensive and there will always be a need to take into account the context in which the words are used and for the umpire to apply a degree of individual interpretation and judgement. We are, however, asking you as players to raise the bar and to set and respect new standards.

"Players are asked to show a greater level of respect to their opponents, umpires and referees and to recognise that swearing is regarded by the majority of people as obscene, offensive or insulting.

"We acknowledge that every incident is highlighted in the media, often with very little objectivity, but . . . there have been several controversial incidents on the field which originated from the use by players of language or gestures which are considered obscene, offensive or insulting.

"The ICC acknowledges verbal exchanges cannot be eliminated entirely, so umpires have to decide what they feel are acceptable levels.

"The umpire seeking to lay a charge shall be required to take into account the context of the particular situation and whether the words or gesture are likely to be regarded as obscene, or give offence, or insult another person."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001023,00.html

[/b]

:"i say old bean lets make cricket more boring and our players robots!" (well more than already)

Everyone needs to HTFU especially the indians they can take their dummy and there money and stick it up there arse we dont need the trouble and the fact that cricket is compromised because they use there financial power to override justice within cricket. :angry:

No trash talk? Are you kidding me? What a complete joke. They're getting rid of trash talk? Talking trash is as fundamental and ingrained to sport than virtually all other traditions. Simple solution: if there is actual evidence that racist comments were made(i.e not one guys word against another) than take disciplinary action. I can't believe that they'd even consider this move.

No trash talk? Are you kidding me? What a complete joke. They're getting rid of trash talk? Talking trash is as fundamental and ingrained to sport than virtually all other traditions. Simple solution: if there is actual evidence that racist comments were made(i.e not one guys word against another) than take disciplinary action. I can't believe that they'd even consider this move. [/b]

Well put :bravo: its just the indians had whinge and they do not want a shitstorm like they did in Australia.

Its totally selling out cricket to the almighty dollar.

This is an absolute joke. Harbhajan Singh deserves a bullet and the whole affair in australia was bungled **** from top to bottom.

Latest posts