• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IMPORTANT: New forum software is ready for testing!

Josh1

The Sidekick
Country Flag
UK
Hi guys,

We've now built a development version of the new forum, running Xenforo. We'd like you guys to check it out, try some of the features and let us know any feedback. To recap the feature list from before:

• Popular @ Mention feature is built in (no add-ons) and intuitive (auto completes username)
  • Almost no learning curve
  • Professional and Simple
  • Highly customizable and consistent skins
  • Safer (more secure)
  • Typing in a thread ***le queries database and shows similar threads (cuts down on duplicates)
  • Uses less resources (less strain on servers)
  • Beautiful Gallery
  • Superior Inbox/Alert (mouseover to get info)
  • Spy tab (see all the latest activity in real time)
  • Excellent support
  • Trophy reward system for members
  • Easier uploading and embedding of pics
  • No need for a mobile app (site beautifully rendered on smartphone. Fast too!)
In addition, you might remember that we had some issues with Xenforo lacking a built-in rep system. We've incorporated a system which runs on +1/-1 ratings on posts, translating into an overall rating for each user. The rating thumbs will appear when you hover over a post.

What should I do now?

1. Head over to http://new.therugbyforum.com

2. Enter 'rugby' for both the username and password in the pop-up

3. Create a test account and feel free to play around!

Great work!

So I am presuming that number of posts and total reputation can't / won't be carried over - everything has to start from scratch?

We're looking at different options for migrating rep scores across, but we can confirm that all posts and post counts will be transferred into the new system.

Xenforo is much better software for running forums on. vBulletin have lost their way and most forums are migrating elsewhere. Its a big job doing the migration, as I know from personal experience so thanks to the mod & admin team involved in the upgrade project!

Thanks for the feedback guys! We're planning to move to the new forum on the 24th April, subject to testing going well. Watch this space!

The move to the new software will remove the need for the app, as it's on a completely mobile friendly platform - you'll be able to use the forum via your phone's browser rather than taking up space with an app.

We shouldn't need anything more from you guys - thanks for your feedback! We'll now be carrying out tests and getting ready for next week :)

Is the forum going to be out of action during its migration?

Is the forum going to be out of action during its migration?

There's likely to be some downtime during the switch-over, but this should be fairly minor - the site will likely be down for at most 1-2 hours.

Just as a quick update for you all, the move is still planned for this week but it's likely to be pushed back a couple of days while we run a few checks. We'll keep you posted!

There's likely to be some downtime during the switch-over, but this should be fairly minor - the site will likely be down for at most 1-2 hours.

Just as a quick update for you all, the move is still planned for this week but it's likely to be pushed back a couple of days while we run a few checks. We'll keep you posted!

Have accounts bene migrated yet? Also, does vanilla TRF just go dark ?

They haven't yet migrated - the new forum should open with all data in place. The vanilla version of the forum won't exist anymore, as the new one will be in its place.

Another quick update for you guys, we're currently dealing with a couple of issues with the migration on top of some illness in the team which is slowing progress a bit - we'll update you ASAP!

Hi mate and thanks for the good job doing the migration and all.

I don't know if that's just me, but scrolling on the forum seems a bit difficult compared to the other websites I go to. Any idea where that could come from?

Latest posts