• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Impressing as a 10

Olly9292

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Afternoon! Ourseason was finished early because of the coronavirus and as such, I've decided to start focusing on next season. It will be my first in senior rugby and I'm changing location which means that I'm changing teams and my goal is to try and make the first team. A few of the players were chosen to play representative rugby last year and that's also something I'd love to do. I'm typically a 10 but I've also played a lot of rugby at 12 at school and with the club as well, I've swapped between both roles really. Training starts in July (if the coronavirus allows it to) and I was just wondering what tips and advice you guys might have so that I can impress the coaches.

Skill wise I'd say my passing and kicking are my strengths but I'm not overly fast. One of my main strengths has always been my talk and organisation skills, I like to be loud and try and give the team clarity and direction. However, I don't want to turn up to a new club and just start bossing everyone about on the field when there are experienced players who've been there a while. How would you guys recommend I approach that aspect of my game, especially as a 10? For those who play, what do you want from your 10 that would have you say he's a good player to play with?

Thanks all.

As a wannabe 10 who has had more success at almost every other position in the backline, I feel like this is my time to shine.

1. Look Sexy
- https://www.esquire.com/style/grooming/a27547425/best-mens-skincare-routine/ I'll admit the "advanced" in here is a bit much and I haven't done a facemask yet but do what you can afford.
- DO NOT LET YOUR MA CUT YOUR HAIR or anyone untrained for that matter. And spend at least 20 quid on a haircut man, especially in good weather when it's more pronounced. In lockdown, let it grow, you'll have options on the other side.
- Shred down, get the abs looking good, a bit of definition in your arms. Do what you can with legs but don't give up aesthetics for functionality, you're a ten with a fragile ego like the rest of us, confidence is key. High protein, calorie deficit, don't you dare put milk in your coffee (primarily to look suave but a latte is a waste of calories too)

2. Disassociate from forwards as much as possible.
- You can be friends with a 7 or two that's ok.
- Do not talk to props, they're a different species and even the ones on your own team are best avoided for your own mental well-being.

3. Look flash
- This ties into number 1 but it's more to do with fashion.
- If preseason starts in July you are wearing a beater to training. It's best if it's something a bit exotic. Eg. I just bought a NSW state of origin beater, looks flash af, is from a different sport, v cool.
- Socks on game day are either around your ankles or obnoxiously high.
- in the off chance your jersey has a collar - pop it
- Colourful boots that clash with your kit.
- Get a pair of Ray bans to wear to and from training

4. Miscellaneous Extras
- Bring Carlos Spencer up in every conversation you have and get a tattoo of his face
- Mention how much more you'd like rugby if it was a summer sport
- Chance your arm and try to get out of fitness for place kicking practice
- Ride the coaches daughter*

5. Useless advice**
However, I don't want to turn up to a new club and just start bossing everyone about on the field when there are experienced players who've been there a while.
Don't worry about this, if talking is a strength of yours do it, you're the 10, you're the boss on the pitch. Maybe don't take impose yourself over the captain in team talk but beyond that be as loud as you want.

* Or son, we pla a progressive sport... Just make sure she/he/they are over 18

** Maybe not useless but definitely the least important part of this post.

Edit: It's also so clear this thread is just @TRF_Olyy trying to get my beauty routine with a fake account. Smh, as if I'd tell randos on the internet the real good stuff.

Alpha covered most of the critical stuff. One other thing to add to section 4:

- Don't let other senior players tell you that you can't have more than two beers at the team hotel. Your superiority in pretty much every aspect means that you call the shots and that no other player tells you what you can or can't do.

As a wannabe 10 who has had more success at almost every other position in the backline, I feel like this is my time to shine.

1. Look Sexy
- https://www.esquire.com/style/grooming/a27547425/best-mens-skincare-routine/ I'll admit the "advanced" in here is a bit much and I haven't done a facemask yet but do what you can afford.
- DO NOT LET YOUR MA CUT YOUR HAIR or anyone untrained for that matter. And spend at least 20 quid on a haircut man, especially in good weather when it's more pronounced. In lockdown, let it grow, you'll have options on the other side.
- Shred down, get the abs looking good, a bit of definition in your arms. Do what you can with legs but don't give up aesthetics for functionality, you're a ten with a fragile ego like the rest of us, confidence is key. High protein, calorie deficit, don't you dare put milk in your coffee (primarily to look suave but a latte is a waste of calories too)

2. Disassociate from forwards as much as possible.
- You can be friends with a 7 or two that's ok.
- Do not talk to props, they're a different species and even the ones on your own team are best avoided for your own mental well-being.

3. Look flash
- This ties into number 1 but it's more to do with fashion.
- If preseason starts in July you are wearing a beater to training. It's best if it's something a bit exotic. Eg. I just bought a NSW state of origin beater, looks flash af, is from a different sport, v cool.
- Socks on game day are either around your ankles or obnoxiously high.
- in the off chance your jersey has a collar - pop it
- Colourful boots that clash with your kit.
- Get a pair of Ray bans to wear to and from training

4. Miscellaneous Extras
- Bring Carlos Spencer up in every conversation you have and get a tattoo of his face
- Mention how much more you'd like rugby if it was a summer sport
- Chance your arm and try to get out of fitness for place kicking practice
- Ride the coaches daughter*

5. Useless advice**

Don't worry about this, if talking is a strength of yours do it, you're the 10, you're the boss on the pitch. Maybe don't take impose yourself over the captain in team talk but beyond that be as loud as you want.

* Or son, we pla a progressive sport... Just make sure she/he/they are over 18

** Maybe not useless but definitely the least important part of this post.

Edit: It's also so clear this thread is just @TRF_Olyy trying to get my beauty routine with a fake account. Smh, as if I'd tell randos on the internet the real good stuff.
You forgot the other tenets of your 10 play that I noticed in your early career.
6. Fire the ball really hard at your centres faces.
7. Alienate your Scrum Half, biting the hand that feeds.
8. Get a rep as the team diva.
9. Tell people you're trying a through the legs pass in the upcoming game, do it, only for it to bobble pathetically into touch.

You forgot the other tenets of your 10 play that I noticed in your early career.
6. Fire the ball really hard at your centres faces.
7. Alienate your Scrum Half, biting the hand that feeds.
8. Get a rep as the team diva.
9. Tell people you're trying a through the legs pass in the upcoming game, do it, only for it to bobble pathetically into touch.
Fake news

Apart from 6 - Your pass looking good with a quick spin is more important than the result of said pass.

I thought of another one:

10. After the game starts, feel free to disregard or overrule the coaches' tactics if they're shite or not working.

Thread AND post of the year material right here. Outstanding stuff.

Serious answer. At that level, what you want from your ten is more about avoiding mistakes than anything else. Don't miss tackles, make sure you dont drop the ball, get your plays and passes right and for the love of god, if you have to kick to touch, make sure it leaves the field. Some of the world's best fly-halves rarely do flashy stuff, but they do all the basics right, every single time. Knowing that your fly-half wont **** up gives peace of mine to the rest. It takes a lot of stress, especially from 7, 9, 12 and 15. Do not overthink things. Stick to the basics and practice, practice, practice.

Latest posts