• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Incongruous pluralisation

R

RoyalBlueStuey

FAO : The BBC (our lovable public service boradcaster) Re: "How can one of the best-supported clubs in the land, with a spanking new stadium and a sprinkling of international stars, be slumming it next season with the Moseleys, Newburys and Sedgley Parks?"

Just putting a completely needless letter s on the end of a name doesn't mean you aren't insulting those clubs specifically. Aside from the snobby disrespectful attitude it entails it's just an annoying way of saying it.

I've hated that little media colloquilism since it crept in

"Oh well your John Terrys and you Rio Ferdinands.....", "When you come up against your Arsenals and your Chelseas" eh?????

Should we all try and use it?

"What are you having for tea Stuey?"
"Well you've got to consider your chickens, your curry sauces, your naan breads and your rices"

"You're late home"
"Oh well the traffic on the M56s and the Runcorn Bridges is terrible"

Rant over.

These stupid pluralisations gets on my ***s as well. I don't get why commentators (especially your Sean Fitzpatricks and your Bobby Skinstads) likes saying things like "getting your meaulamus and jacks behind the ball" it sounds like filth, my jack is firmly in front of my balls and if I decide to push a couple of mealamuamus down the dunnie that's my own personal business ffs.

another one I heard was people treating names like collective nouns i.e a Mckaw of flankers, a dalton of hookers....wtf?

another one I heard was people treating names like collective nouns i.e a Mckaw of flankers, a dalton of hookers....wtf?
[/b]

Good Lord! That one hasn't made it over here yet, that's terrible.

Yeah its kind of like how people mispell "meter" incorrectly. [/b]
:rahh: :ranting: :%#%#: :wall: :devil: :ranting: :bond: :hunt: :ar15firing5de: :gun_smiley: :diablo: :rtfm: BAH!

Maybe the TRF's of this world should do something about the BBC's and the SKY's, before we end up with a Rupert Murdock of corporate "isms".

(did I use that last one properly?)

Latest posts