• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Interesting training question.

W

Woldog

Well I was at my first training session for like 5 months today, and I was running along after a good warm up and some drills, when I got tackled (the fact I was running at a person with a ball under my arm and a mean look on my face may have contributed to me being tackled.... and the fact it was part of the drill...) and I noticed this peculiar feeling aka, I couldn't breathe, I though my god whats going on. Then I realized I had been winded, the 5 month break must have soften me up and made my muscles get use to not getting battered around, is there anyway I can train them to get used to getting knocked around quickly? (preferably with out getting knocked around but you can't have everything can you :p)

Anyone in any shape can get the wind knocked out of them. What you've got to relearn is how to go into the tackle. That will take having the wind knocked out of you a few times to get what you are doing wrong.
As far as preventative measures to lessen the blow, lots of core training can help. It won't prevent it from happening, but it can help support you a bit better.
Crunches, back extensions, oblique exercises.
Here is an excellent link for you:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/Arti...p?Articleid=486
Yes, the guy looks like a giant ****. But these are really good exercises you can do at your home.

Yeah I've just gotta work on my core :p and everything else seeing as training with Colts almost killed me I've gotten unfit playing Rugby 08 :(

Protip: hold your breath when going into a tackle, if you try to breathe then you WILL get winded.

I agree with Nidhogg, that's what i do.. if it's going to be an exceptionally hard impact, i do a controlled, short "pfft" of air the instant before impact.. seems to soften it up a bit. or at least in my head it does..

I think what the above posts are hinting on is the use of controlled breathing to strengthen your core, and OSU Blue has hit the nail on the head when he says to use a short sharp "pshht" before you make impact.
Another tip is to push your sternum as far outwards as you can to engage the abs and provide more safety for your back. (Same technique as using correct squat technique).

Latest posts