• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Internal rugby captains

E

esoj

just something I noticed today and was interested in it. seems to be quite a few international teams with 7's as their captains. latu for tonga waugh for australia and mcCaw for the abs. is this just concidence or has the game around the breakdown area changed so much that 7's are the best to lead teams on the field.

I suppose the #7 more often than not is the ball stealer, is the first to the break down, makes the first tackle from a scrum, has a close relationship with not only the forwards (which they are of course) but also the backline and is overall part of the action most of the time and they know exactly what is going on.

But it could be just a coincidence that these players have been deemed to be the best men to captain their teams.

<div class='quotemain'> well... I'm a 6.. and i was captain.. :p [/b]
You were captain of the iternational team? Or were just captain of club?

Besides...you're from Indonesia :p
[/b][/quote]
Oy! bugger off, I was captain for my school... :p

What do Indonesians call Indonesia?
[/b]
Uhh.. we call Indonesia, Indonesia... does that answer ur question??

check this though, I'm Indonesian, living in the middle east.. but I'm a Christian... A unique kind of Indonesian I am... :bleh!:

well iv'e been 4,5,6,7,8, 13,12 ,14 ,11 since i started playing rugby iv'e pretty much been captain in all but the 11 shirt and that was couse the wales under 18 coach was a dick...

9 or 15 are pretty much best places for captain in the backs. 15 cause he can easily see everything however, forhim to captain there needs to be a vice captiain to lead the forwards. and it also depends on the player. it really doenst matter to much on the position as long as the captain ledas by example

9 or 15 are pretty much best places for captain in the backs. 15 cause he can easily see everything however, forhim to captain there needs to be a vice captiain to lead the forwards. and it also depends on the player. it really doenst matter to much on the position as long as the captain ledas by example
[/b]

scrum half captain would be ok i guess, but i would have thought that fullback would be one of the worst positions to have your captain. in saying that you wouldn't change the position of a person best suited for captain based on that. sure they would see the formations in general play but they wouldn't be able to pick up on the indiscretions that take place around the ruck, which is where a lot of the penalties seem to come from. not having played the position i wouldn't really know though but just throwing it out there.

agree with you that the nature of the player is important but being in a better position, i.e. amongst the thick of things would certainly help a great deal. also, the idea of leading from the front as a fullback behind your men doesn't exactly rest well with me. i know latham captains the reds though (when he's not injured), can't think of many others.

i think making the right decisions at the right time is more important than the position, and perhaps just as important as being able to inspire the team. this is why i would never place sharpe as my captain. maybe it's because he's a lineout jumper, but every time it seems more sensible to kick at goal, he seems to go for touch as if to say "i'm going to be heroic and win us the lineout and then drive and score".

Latest posts