• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland 6 Nations 2012

Tis the team I'd pick bar Cave although I admit I haven't seem him play much recently, but whenever I do he's never really stood out for me. He's a guy I'll be watching closely tonight though along with Touhy. Peat if you weren't an Ulster fan would you really have over Ireland's other options or are the tinted glasses on?

Don't know really, it's hard to say.

Cave is a quiet player, rarely that showy, but he makes great decisions and is the closest thing Ireland have to Conrad Smith imo. He's my sort of player. My reasoning on the other candidates would go...

Spence - Hahahaha no.
Griffin - I really rate what I've seen of him, but he's raw and has plenty of learning to do, without jumping several levels all at once.
O'Malley - The interesting one, haven't seen enough of him, no doubt he can attack, question marks over his defence and size... it's possible if I were a Leinster fan watching Leinster regularly I'd be saying him instead of Cave. I just get the feeling he'll be a bit too lightweight, and have believed for a long time that Ireland's backline of midgets was a bad thing.
McFadden - Am now convinced he's a 12, not a 13.
Barnes - *giggles*

Then you've got the idea of moving one of the wings... in general I dislike moving wings in, it's a blight; let great wings thrive in the space they use, rather than asking them to modify their game. Nevertheless, Ireland do have a lot of wingers, and a lot of them do have centre experience. If I was to pick one, it'd be Fitzgerald, but the man then needs to play regularly at the centre and he won't do that. Earls chews up too much space and picks wrong options for me.

Unless you have a genius, the first things I want from 13 are option taking, short distribution, secure defence and line-breaking. Cave fulfils those talents most for me at the moment.

Could use a massive game from him tonight to prove me right! Him, Tuohy and Henry are the guys really putting their hands up for Ireland at Ulster outside of the usual suspects atm.

BG8 - fair enough, it's a big call leaving Bowe out - but his form hasn't been great, while everytime I've watched them recently Trimble and Fitzgerald have been very dangerous.

Look at the English squad threads ridiculous and you Welsh aren't exactly slow remember Wales Baa-Baa's thread. There are loads of us but we're not as bad as the rap we get.

Yeh I know. Not saying there's anything bad about the Irish posters, there's some great Irish posters infact, yourself included. Was just a bit of a jokey comment, avoiding doing my uni work that's gotta be finished by tuesday.

Jockstrap is probably right in that there's probably not much to talk about, or that it's mostly already been talked about already. It's been known for a while that BOD will be out injured, and the debate about who will replace him has occurred.

I'm expecting Ireland to be there or thereabouts this 6 nations, as always. But I think Ireland need to look to develop a few youngsters in a few key positions, especially at lock and at centre (which they'll be forced to do now). In most other areas there has been development, (Healey, Cronin, SOB, Murray, Sexton, Earls, Kearney etc.) but few genuine challengers have come through to replace O'Connell, O'Callaghan, O'Driscoll and D'Arcy. This might mean that a few results may go astray, but the supporters need to look past that to the final goal of being able to watch those main four players retire without panic setting in, as there are players with 10+ caps ready to step in.

The impression I get is that the supporters are but Kidney isn't.

Yeh I know. Not saying there's anything bad about the Irish posters, there's some great Irish posters infact, yourself included. Was just a bit of a jokey comment, avoiding doing my uni work that's gotta be finished by tuesday.

Jockstrap is probably right in that there's probably not much to talk about, or that it's mostly already been talked about already. It's been known for a while that BOD will be out injured, and the debate about who will replace him has occurred.

I'm expecting Ireland to be there or thereabouts this 6 nations, as always. But I think Ireland need to look to develop a few youngsters in a few key positions, especially at lock and at centre (which they'll be forced to do now). In most other areas there has been development, (Healey, Cronin, SOB, Murray, Sexton, Earls, Kearney etc.) but few genuine challengers have come through to replace O'Connell, O'Callaghan, O'Driscoll and D'Arcy. This might mean that a few results may go astray, but the supporters need to look past that to the final goal of being able to watch those main four players retire without panic setting in, as there are players with 10+ caps ready to step in.

Thanks for the compliment was just letting of a bit of steam not meant to be directed as an insult towards yourself.

Typical after saying Bowe over Trimble because he's a great finisher Trimble gets two great tries that are brilliant finishes.

Arse! Wrong thread. Still, Cave, Henry and Tuohy all putting their hands up big style.

Would have loved to have seen how Fitz would have responded to that performance by Trimble, shame he's not playing Sunday. Henry seems to be keeping in good contention and I would certainly have him in the Wolfhounds and possibly the 6N squad. I also think Marshall deserves a place in the Wolfhounds. Still really stuck on the 13 issue, McFadden is competent there but then our centre partnership lacks balance, O'Malley has shown great development and form but his lack of game time and inability to nail down the Leinster 13 shirt does put him at a disadvantage, Cave seems to be hitting some cracking form aswell and just seems to be a solid player able to read the game well. I'd probably go for Cave but we'll have to wait untill this weekend is over.

On a side note is Strauss eligible to play for ireland or is his form good enough to be considered??

He will be soon (the summer, perhaps?).
He's a "project player", I believe, which means he was signed with the intention of turning him into an Ireland player.

yeah I read he was a project i also read that he qualified very late 2011? this might be wrong
what do you think though better than the hooking options available?

yeah I read he was a project i also read that he qualified very late 2011? this might be wrong
what do you think though better than the hooking options available?

He qualifies in april/May I think. I wouldn't take him right now anyway his form is nowhere near as good as last season and Cronin has really stepped up his game for Leinster (IMO he should be the first choice at Leinster). also we have Best who was fantastic at the world cup. Haven't seen a lot of ulster this season, but he did well last night.

So in short no.

Rory Best has carried on from the World Cup without missing a beat.

I put O'Mahony in as my back-row sub because I didn't want to be too biased and he's the better prospect, but Henry has been monumental for us all season long. He should be in the overall squad, possibly in the match squad.

Richardt Strauss will be qualified to play for Ireland in November of this year.

Darren Cave, Dan Tuohy and Chris Henry really put their hands up for selection last night. All should be in the squad which is named later this week with Cave and Tuohy pushing to start (although we all know Keith Earls will start at 13 in Kidneyland). Devin Toner needs to put in a big performance tomorrow to keep pace with Tuohy. Paul Marshall has moved ahead of Isaac Boss in the scrum half pecking order in my opinion. I'd have him as the third scrum half but think he'll miss out on Ireland selection to Tomas O'Ribery. He's a certainty to make the Wolfhounds though.

Richardt Strauss will be qualified to play for Ireland in November of this year.

With the way Best is playing Strauss will be hoping for a bench spot at Best! (Pun!)

My Irish 22:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. Cave
12. McFadden
11. Fitzgerald
10. Sexton
9. Reddan
8. Heaslip
7. O'Brien
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. Tuohy
3. Ross
2. Best
1. Healy

16. Cronin
17. Court :(
18. Toner
19. O'Mahony
20. Murray
21. O'Gara
22. Trimble

I guarantee you Declan Kidney's team will look something like this though:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. Earls :(
12. D'Arcy :(
11. Fitzgerald
10. Sexton
9. Murray
8. Heaslip
7. O'Brien
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. Ryan :(
3. Ross
2. Best
1. Healy

16. Cronin
18. O'Callaghan :mad:
19. O'Mahony (with the unavailability of Leamy the decision to choose an uncapped pack member for the 22 will cause Kidney to have a mini panic attack)
20. Reddan
21. O'Gara
22. McFadden

:( Sigh...

With the way Best is playing Strauss will be hoping for a bench spot at Best! (Pun!)

My Irish 22:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. Cave
12. McFadden
11. Fitzgerald
10. Sexton
9. Reddan
8. Heaslip
7. O'Brien
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. Tuohy
3. Ross
2. Best
1. Healy

16. Cronin
18. Toner
19. O'Mahony
20. Murray
21. O'Gara
22. Trimble

I guarantee you Declan Kidney's team will look something like this though:

15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. Earls :(
12. D'Arcy :(
11. Fitzgerald
10. Sexton
9. Murray
8. Heaslip
7. O'Brien
6. Ferris
5. O'Connell
4. Ryan :(
3. Ross
2. Best
1. Healy

16. Cronin
18. O'Callaghan :mad:
19. O'Mahony (with the unavailability of Leamy the decision to choose an uncapped pack member for the 22 will cause Kidney to have a mini panic attack)
20. Reddan
21. O'Gara
22. McFadden

:( Sigh...

How can you have Bowe over Trimble based on this season's form?