• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland to bid for 2023 World Cup?

To be honest if rugby wants to benefit they should look to take the world cup to the USA or Russia etc.

Why would anyone ever want to go to Russia, horrible place with naturally evil, violent people who live in an place where depression is imbued in the very fabric of the infrastructure. Plus it's cold.

Why would anyone ever want to go to Russia, horrible place with naturally evil, violent people who live in an place where depression is imbued in the very fabric of the infrastructure. Plus it's cold.

Lekso?

If the Russians do get it tell them to speak to the French about the importance of undersoil heating.

2023 should be either Italy, Argentina or South Africa for me

You can only choose one. Which?

I agree that it will go to one of these three and not Ireland, Russia or anybody else. Argentina being the place. See why here.

No, it's just that I've been to Russia.

In September and October its not so bad and this is when World Cup´s take place.

Here you go. The average September temperature is 11.8ºC, and the average October temperature is 4.9ºC

I went to a game at RWC 2011 that was under 10ºC. I got really wet leaving the stadium too. Not a big deal. Russia at this time is fine.

I see Argentina getting it in 2027 truth be told. I think the IRB are going to adopt a one on/one off approach regarding world cups and Europe (I'll include SOuth Africa in this for the purposes of time zones and the like). Financially it makes sense, with the majority of the audience being based in The British Isles and France. Not so good for development though. Here's how I see it panning out for the foreseeable future:

2015: England
2019: Japan
2023: South Africa
2027: Argentina
2031: One of the Home nations in collaboration with the others.
2035: Australia
2039: Italy & France

That's how I see it panning out and there's a decent spread in there. While I agree that the game needs to be expanded, I'm not sure that moving the world cup around to places like the States and Russia is a good idea until they've established a firm footing in pro rugby. This is the game's premier competition and should be treated as such.

I see Argentina getting it in 2027 truth be told. I think the IRB are going to adopt a one on/one off approach regarding world cups and Europe (I'll include SOuth Africa in this for the purposes of time zones and the like). Financially it makes sense, with the majority of the audience being based in The British Isles and France. Not so good for development though. Here's how I see it panning out for the foreseeable future:

2015: England
2019: Japan
2023: South Africa
2027: Argentina
2031: One of the Home nations in collaboration with the others.
2035: Australia
2039: Italy & France

That's how I see it panning out and there's a decent spread in there. While I agree that the game needs to be expanded, I'm not sure that moving the world cup around to places like the States and Russia is a good idea until they've established a firm footing in pro rugby. This is the game's premier competition and should be treated as such.

That certainly seems to be the consensus but I hope its not correct.

South Africa 2023 would hold back the expansion much more than giving 2011 to New Zealand. The reason is because so many potential hosts are now emergning and showing interest. Giving it to South Africa would discourage this significantly. 2023 has to go to Argentina or Italy with the other hosting 2027. No ifs or buts, this is the right thing to do. Both have sufficient rugby systems in place. Both have never hosted. Both teams are well supported and both are great tourist destinations. Time zones is an after thought but, nonetheless, it is a positive for both Argentina and Italy. Argentina actually offers the best timezone possible.

The real reason I do´t want South Africa to host, aside from the fact that it already has, is the poor attendances that feature regularly aside from when South Africa is playing. The 2009 Lions tour featured poor attendances far too often.

That certainly seems to be the consensus but I hope its not correct.

South Africa 2023 would hold back the expansion much more than giving 2011 to New Zealand. The reason is because so many potential hosts are now emergning and showing interest. Giving it to South Africa would discourage this significantly. 2023 has to go to Argentina or Italy with the other hosting 2027. No ifs or buts, this is the right thing to do. Both have sufficient rugby systems in place. Both have never hosted. Both teams are well supported and both are great tourist destinations. Time zones is an after thought but, nonetheless, it is a positive for both Argentina and Italy. Argentina actually offers the best timezone possible.

The real reason I do´t want South Africa to host, aside from the fact that it already has, is the poor attendances that feature regularly aside from when South Africa is playing. The 2009 Lions tour featured poor attendances far too often.

Don't get me wrong, I think the best possible situation would be 2023 Argentina 2027 Italy, although the other way round would probably be more preferable for the IRB. The above was just what I expect to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_British_and_Irish_Lions_tour_to_South_Africa some decent South African crowds. There are plenty of reasons not to give it to South Africa if you want to expand the game but poor attendance isn't one of them.

The crowds were not what they should have been. Some better than others - some dreadful. Sharks vs Lions being about the best but it was still far from full which is a worry. It questions the ability to pack a game such as Wales vs Samoa. What is shows is that if people want to say no to Argentina or Italy for 2023 and 2027 that they have a lot of work to do.

Here are all of them:

Royal XV vs Lions

Golden Lions vs B & I Lions

Cheetahs vs Lions

Sharks vs Lions

Western Province vs Lions

Southern Kings vs Lions

Emerging Springboks vs Lions

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use the Lions tour as accurate reflection of the attendance of SA rugby games, if I remember correctly the ticket prices for the games against provincial teams was double what the usual prices are, and the the top provincial teams were missing their international players.

However, I do agree that many 'fans' don't make the effort to go and watch the games live, even when they are more than wealthy enough to afford it.

I wouldn't use the Lions tour as accurate reflection of the attendance of SA rugby games, if I remember correctly the ticket prices for the games against provincial teams was double what the usual prices are, and the the top provincial teams were missing their international players.

However, I do agree that many 'fans' don't make the effort to go and watch the games live, even when they are more than wealthy enough to afford it.

Would you be for or against RWC 2023 being in South Africa?

It is a decade away, personally I think politics would stuff up a world cup in SA at that date, there would be a mass drive by His Highness Prince Malema/ another to see the Boks be fully demographically compliant by that time which would come close to overshadowing the tournament.

It is too far away for me, I think if a country can't organise a world cup with six years notice, they shouldn't have been in contention in the first place. A decade is a long time, the reason(s) for the host being selected may or may not have disappeared/ be valid when it comes around.

"The art of life is to deal with problems as they arise, rather than destroy one's spirit by worrying about them too far in advance" - Cicero

True - its a long time away. However, the bidding process is to start in 2013. I think six years is sufficient time. But having it confirmed earlier sends out a message to unions and, indeed, countries that if they want to host they can. The more restricted it is the more chance it will be the same old places hosting.

Incidently, Ireland better start to fully utilize stadiums outside of Dublin if it is to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Limerick, Belfast and Galway cities are just 2 hours from Dublin. Cork city is just 3 hours away. Only Limerick has a venue suitable for Ireland internationals and even then, it wasn't well supported against Canada or the Barbarians. It also has half the capacity of the Aviva Stadium and thus only brings in half the revenue. It would be foolish playing games against tier 1 countries there.

I'd say that an Irish hosted World Cup would be well spread.

The Aviva Stadium Dublin (50,000 capacity)
Croke Park Dublin (85,000 capacity)
RDS (plans to upgrade to a 24,000-26,000 capacity venue)
Ravenhill Belfast (plans to upgrade to an 18,000 capacity venue)
Musgrave Park Cork (plans to upgrade to a 15,000-18,000 capacity venue)
Thomond Park Limerick (26,000 capacity)

There would almost certainly be stadia in Galway, Athlone, possibly Derry and another in Belfast.

While the venues would be well spread, I doubt there would be anough of a sufficient capacity to host a World Cup so Ireland would need Scottish and Welsh help. There would need to be four stadia with a 40,000 capacity which Ireland can't provide on it's own. While I'd love to see 2023 hosted here, it won't do much for the growth of the sport internationally.

Last edited:
Limerick, Belfast and Galway cities are just 2 hours from Dublin. Cork city is just 3 hours away. Only Limerick has a venue suitable for Ireland internationals and even then, it wasn't well supported against Canada or the Barbarians. It also has half the capacity of the Aviva Stadium and thus only brings in half the revenue. It would be foolish playing games against tier 1 countries there.

I'd say that an Irish hosted World Cup would be well spread.

The Aviva Stadium Dublin (50,000 capacity)
Croke Park Dublin (85,000 capacity)
RDS (plans to upgrade to a 24,000-26,000 capacity venue)
Ravenhill Belfast (plans to upgrade to an 18,000 capacity venue)
Musgrave Park Cork (plans to upgrade to a 15,000-18,000 capacity venue)
Thomond Park Limerick (26,000 capacity)

There would almost certainly be stadia in Galway, Athlone, possibly Derry and another in Belfast.

While the venues would be well spread, I doubt there would be anough of a sufficient capacity to host a World Cup so Ireland would need Scottish and Welsh help. There would need to be four stadia with a 40,000 capacity which Ireland can't provide on it's own. While I'd love to see 2023 hosted here, it won't do much for the growth of the sport internationally.

I fully agree with you. Limerick has not delivered for tests but something has to be done. Ireland vs Samoa can´t pack Aviva Stadium. So bite the bullet and give it to Thomond Park.

Convincing others that Ireland, or anyone, is a real World Cup hosting option involves a record os spreading matches to show that it would work in the event that a World Cup comes to town. I point out that Ireland is lacking having tests outside of Dublin while Argentina is actively moving away from Buenos Aires to stage matches nation wide. In utilizing many different venues and attracting crowds it is a model for success.

i.e in 2012

Argentina vs Italy, San Juan
Argentina vs France, Córdoba
Argentina vs France, Buenos Aires (tba soon)

Argentina vs South Africa, Mendoza
Argentina vs New Zealand, La Plata
Argentina vs Australia, Rosario

BTW all are over 40,00 except for San Juan which is 25,000.

Last edited:
Hay,above in the pitcher we can see a player who is slip and he caught up a 2nd team player leg because he want's to cheat with them and that is very bad to cheat other we want play with honesty.homeacne treatment

:s

Women in the second picture must have lots of cleavag... er, I mean acne

Latest posts