• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Argentina

You're like a stuck record on this point, the fact is the way we were playing in that Autumn series we would have given the All Blacks a proper game, just like we did in both tests during the Summer and don't start harping on about the fact that it was a second string side when 9 or 10 of that team are in the first choice side. Not saying we would have beaten them but on our Autumn form and Six Nations form we were the better than the French.

Things change and obviously teams have worked us out but a year or so ago they hadn't.

You're like a stuck record on this point, the fact is the way we were playing in that Autumn series we would have given the All Blacks a proper game, just like we did in both tests during the Summer and don't start harping on about the fact that it was a second string side when 9 or 10 of that team are in the first choice side. Not saying we would have beaten them but on our Autumn form and Six Nations form we were the better than the French.

Things change and obviously teams have worked us out but a year or so ago they hadn't. [/b]

You better were better than the French in the 6 Nations? Last time I checked the French beat you... again... in Ireland... and the way you say "teams have worked you out" make you sound like you were on some kind of unstoppable rampage - there was nothing to figure out, you beat up on Scotland and Italy, big f***ing whoop. You still lost consitiently to the top teams whenever they rocked up with Full Strength teams (or in case of the All Blacks, when they played Casey Laulala and Craig Newby... and who can forget the "Change the Entire Starting XV and still beat you by 40" ploy in the Grand Slam Tour)

http://stats.allblacks.com/teamsheet.asp?MT_ID=2127
http://stats.allblacks.com/teamsheet.asp?MT_ID=2126

I don't think Laulala, Kaino, Dermody, Hill or Hamilton even ever made another All Black squad. Rawlinson and Flavell only got more gametime when the Top 4 All Black Locks were all unavailable at the same time, Mauger had been replaced by the end of the Tri Nations by the guy who was playing at Fly Half and who was made to look bad in that position by Italy. Sure, there were a bunch of first teamers, but when a team has 5 players who 18 months and 20 odd tests later have never even made another 30 man squad, it is safe IMO to call that team understrength,.

Because Ireland managed to keep the score within 10 points against a team that was no where near the All Blacks Full Strength at the start of their season (when they always play kak - even Canada almost led into Half Time this year) it is reasonable to assume that Ireland would be able to do better than the French side who they haven't been able to beat in... 6 straight games? who were molested at home?

http://stats.allblacks.com/teamsheet.asp?l...&MT_ID=2136

I count 10 changes in the Starting XV alone between the 1st Irish test team and the team that caned the French.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> I am the only one who thinks that simply the other teams are now reading ireland tactical approach very easily and that the team should have changed somehow its gameplan?????

Plus i think the team was overrated over the 6th nations. With england doing **** for 4 years, france being very moody and scotland and wales having some good/very bad years alternatevely, the irish consistency suggested they were stronger that what they actually are. [/b]

They're a very experienced team, at the height of their athletic power, so if changes are needed on the field they should be capable. I think it's down to ROG being limited in his options: slow ball from the pack + midfield defences rushing up to cut out the D'Arcy/BOD threat.

Ireland weren't overrated - they should have taken the Grand Slam, and they put three SH teams to the sword last November. Argentina point to their record against France, and everyone thinks the ABs were powering for world dominance in 2006 - so it's fair to say that Ireland's record over the last 10 months showed their RWC preparations coming to the boil.
[/b][/quote]

Ireland were very overated - overnight they suddenly became the form team in the North just because they got lucky with the schedule - if it was the Irish who got to play the All Blacks on the November Tours last year instead of the French, no one would be talking about the Irish as they would've been roasted as badly, if not worse than the French were at Lyon that one fateful night.

Ireland haven't beaten the French since before the 2003 Rugby World Cup - And yet they were rated the best team in the North? They bumbled there way past Scotland by a solitary point and struggled to beat Wales by Double Digits, before losing to France for what... the 6th straight time, and they are now the best team in the North?[/b][/quote]

No, no - Ireland were never rated the best NH team: up to 03 that was England, who only took over from France, and then gave it back to France pretty quickly.

It's Irish supporters who rate this the best Ireland team of all time, and we're right. Except it looks like we're about to be proven wrong. But then we were all brought up on cup rugby - so anything can happen.

Good luck with the French!

Could've fooled me, it seemed in most Northern Fans eyes it was some forgone conclusion that the Irish were going to roll the French and Argies, and if by some miracle they didn't, they apparently were going to beat the All Blacks in the Quarter Finals (who were going to struggle to beat Italy, because the Italians won 2 games in the 6 Nations)

I think that to Beat it can beat Argentina! but from there in the fact that they do not take any point, this is going to be hard!!! but check let us hope and as said Laporte, if they want to be World champion it will be necessary to beat everybody!

My dads Irish.. but I want the Pumas to win and come 1st so I dunno who to support! lol.

Ireland to win, but still leaving the Pumas in 2nd place and France to top the pool.

As far as i can see french fans are expecting that the irish will do what they couldnt in the opening game of the world cup... nevertheless that wont happen. We have the guts, passion a an enormous level of comitment to beat the irish. Anyway we will see our faces in the field and we´ll see who is the best.

I´ve found a very good newspaper article that want to share with all of you. I hope you enjoy it, because it describes quite well wich are our feelings and the way in wich our hearts beat.

http://blogs.independent.ie/peterbills/200...ns-ireland.html

GO PUMAS!!!!!!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Interesting fact that could place Argentina as the most consistent and best performing side so far this world cup.

Argentina have yet to conceed a try. Thats better XD

First 10 minutes still 0-0

Argentina have been fairly poor, while Ireland look determined.

O Gara is woeful.

Ireland seem determined but yet again lack the class. Argentina at the moment putting in a massive shove.

Bang.

7-0.

Ireland are now clinging on after 16 minutes.

Might well be a long day for the Irish if they don't figure some way to get back at Argentina.

Ireland making some good changes just at the moment. Looks proming for them.

O'Gara makes it 5-3

One thing I don't think anyone has noticed, if Argentina get 4 tries then they are through in 1st and Ireland are out WHATEVER HAPPENS.

I think we did notice, every single possible scenario has been covered at some stage in the media during the buildup to this game. Besides they won't need a bonus point to get through they'll get the match points first.