• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Argentina

Argentina were excellent and dominated all aspects of play. Not only should they beat Scotland but they'd be my pick to face New Zealand in the final based on their performances so far. They've beaten two good teams and are the most battle hardened side in the competition. South Africa in the semi's (if it comes to that) offer the Pumas a great chance to progress further.

Honestly argentina is gonna walk easily into the semifinal, the have class pretty much everywhere, they are superior in ball handling, offensive options, ruck and tackling. They might lose a few lines out that's pretty much it. I don't see scotland making more than 9-10 points, the argies should put some 30 like tonite.

Paterson under pressure against the Abs was pretty bad. The italians gave him pretty easy kicks too. It won't happen against the pumas.

I am happy for the argies, truly deserved. For ireland the end of the golden generation i guess, but they can still take the 6th nations in a few months.

Argentina must play a very clean game against Scotland. They are kicking very good. And I hope the Argentine maul will guide the team to the semi finals.

Disappointed by a lackluster Ireland but Argentina & Fiji going through is better for world rugby. Argentina will beat Scotland but lose to South Africa in the Semis.

Great victory for Argentina!!! Hernandez is a crack!!

Go Pumas! We can do it to the semis!!!

:bana: :bana:

There was certainly a marked improvement in the Irish performance today and it's easy to make O'Gara the scapegoat and while he must take a fair whack of the blame, the forwards really haven't been up to scratch and even a top class fly half playing behind that pack would not have been able to create as much.

But in fairness Ireland's performance was irrelevant because even at full tilt I still think we would have struggled to beat Argentina today, they're a serious outfit and have improved enormously on the French game when I felt they were only good against them, nothing near the level of their performance today. The big question for the Pumas though is how much of that extra performance was gained from the fact that they were playing Ireland and obviously carrying a lot of baggage from the game in Adelaide. Without that baggage against the Scots and the Springboks will they be able to reach that same level. I certainly hope they can. I couldn't believe Greenwood's comments today that he thought Scotland would beat Argentina, excellent commentator he may be, but in this one instance he's talking through his hole. If the Argentina side of today show up it won't be a contest in St. Denis. I'd also be worried if I was a Springbok fan, cause it'll take a serious effort to overturn this Pumas side and potentially could be a corker of a game.

After saying what you said of pumas being overrated and other BS statements you made, you should SHUT THE F**K UP and go home.
[/b]

Thanks, Paquirri - classy.

Agree with Tarbh. ROG's kicking was off, but he combined well with BOD, which is the stuff that usually has us winning. But you can't do all those patterns when the forwards are getting bumped around the place.

I guess Leicester's destruction of the Munster pack at Thomond was the beginning of the end.

I wonder what would happen if (for arguments sake) Argentina got to the Final and after a long fought final, won the Rugby World Cup.

Would we see people in the SH say that the World Cup was devalued from the start or would we see people start to respect Argentina for what they are rather than what they may appear to be?

Would we see people in the SH say that the World Cup was devalued from the start [/b]
Nahhhh they would congratulate themselves, take the credit for the win (somehow) and start another 15 "NH Rugby is ****" threads".

Oh and sorry. Congratulations to all the Argentina fans on the board. A totally deserved win both in todays match, and in the group.

As most of the Irish guys have already said. Even if we were firing on all cylinders, you would have pulled through. We made it a little easier for you with a few errors, but I actually thought you had another gear or two you didnt need.

Very damned impressive. Wish you guys the best for the rest of the tournament.

Good try at fishing there Prestwick, that bit about devaluing the game. But I`ll treat the rest of that post as a serious question, because it`s pertinent.

The Argies have arrived as a serious force, absolutely no question. Whoever suggests that Scotland can beat the Argies in the quarters, well I`d like to know 2 things: what are they smoking, and where can I get some?

But as for the Argies- this is a seriously classy outfit. I hate to sound like Jake White, but "as I`ve said before" as a Bok supporter, I`m more than just a little concerned about the likely SA-Argie semi. Their pack is phenomenal, they`ve got some serious class in the backs too. Maybe, just maybe, one more world-class back necessary for this team to be the real deal. Look, Corletto, Contepomi, Hernandez and Pichot are amongst the best in the business, but a real classy 13 would make them even more dangerous.

But certainly, this current squad HAS got the goods to make the final. I doubt whether they`ll be able to beat the Boks in their semi, just a bit too much experience of winning the really big one in the current Bok squad, but the Argies definately has the potential to do it. And if they did make the final, well they certainly won`t be able to beat the AB`s. The AB pack can match fire with fire, and have just too much speed on the points. But if the Aussies can knock over the AB`s in the semi, and the Argies can beat the Boks in their semi, then I`ll definately be putting my mortgage on the Argie pack walking all over what passes for an Aussie light 5!

Well,i want to discuss with you one question.Why are 6 Nations and 3 Nations locked?Who agrees that it must be a kick-out system?I think Argentina is playing such rugby that must play in 3 Nations.Don`t u think so?The teams of 3 Nation said:you are plain` a different rugby and u are far from us to play in 3 Nations.Well at firs they are wining the games,so it doesn`t metter how are they playin`,second:South Africa isn`t far from oceanic countries? :)Well Romania and Georgia aren`t such teams as Argentina,but how can they play a good rugby if they will play with grand once 4 years?I think it`s neccesary for rising world rubgy to approve such temas in 6 Natons,what would you say?If 6 Nations will be with kick-out system?Also Fiji is a good team,they have to play with good teams to grow up.Everyone is talking that IRB is "killing" rugby in such countries as last ones.I think approveing "2 sort" teams in high class is neccesary for growing up world rugby.Please discuss it,it`s very interesting for me.

The link of this topic: http://www.therugbyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28578

Will be glad to talk about it and view your position.

Good try at fishing there Prestwick, that bit about devaluing the game. But I`ll treat the rest of that post as a serious question, because it`s pertinent.
[/b]

Not fishing, more a cynical outlook on the views of some of the fans out there really. I'm tired and depressed with reality.

But if the Aussies can knock over the AB`s in the semi, and the Argies can beat the Boks in their semi, then I`ll definately be putting my mortgage on the Argie pack walking all over what passes for an Aussie light 5!
[/b]

Yeah they'll fully capitalise on the weak Aussie scrum just like the Boks said-they-would-but-never-actually-did at Newlands :p

While I rate Argentina, I think the Boks will be too good.

Hi guys, Im new here, andfirst of all I want to salute u all.

Imo, Argentina had give the best that she can. We are a really rookie team with enthusiastic players full of pride and hopes.

But lets be honest, we dont have the experience to face the final rounds. We are not Scotland, and offcourse we are not SA or ABs.

There is a great distance between our team and the others. We made improvements, we all can agree with that, but in this finals, the experts wins.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see the Pumas wining Scotland, SA, or Abs, but they are too far from us.

Argentina defeated France and Ireland becos she has nothing to lose, and France and Ireland had too much presure there, we just took our chance, but I think that we just arrived to our end.

Thats why I hink that for us its relly important to be part of a major tournament, like 6 nations or 3 nations, cos there is where we can learn and improve ourselves.

Thanks for reading me, and please forgive my bad english.

PS: I want to congrat the irish suporters for being such a good sports.

Pumafan, I really don`t think you guys have come to the end of your tournament. You should beat Scotland by 15-20 points, easily. And believe me, us South Africans ARE more than a bit worried about you. You guys have got some absolutely unbelievable players, and plenty of experience. Argentina are currently ranked 4th on the IRB rankings, and it`s well deserved. Anybody who doesn`t take you guys seriously, will end up getting a nasty surprise. France and Ireland are 2 excellent teams, both were very much pre-tournament favourites. And you guys were clearly much better than 2 really good teams on the day.

PumaFan i think you really are understimating our team.. we are fourth in the ranking, and as BokMagic said, we should beat Scotland easily, and the boks should be worried.

PumaFan i think you really are understimating our team.. we are fourth in the ranking, and as BokMagic said, we should beat Scotland easily, and the boks should be worried.
[/b]

I think most Tri-Nations fans would love to have Argentina in the competition and have probably wanted them in for the last few years. If they can sort out the club vs country issue I think it will happen. And with the Pumas form in this world cup the IRB simply have no choice anymore.

Argentina would be a great addition to the Tri Nations just as long as they don't end up bringing 2nd string teams like certaini other countries do.