• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v New Zealand

Readers of Sun Tzu will recognise this as the sixth principle of his "Art of War"

A lot of Sun Tzu's philosophy applies superbly to sport!

Yep I use his principles myself. A lot of my success in sport comes from applying his principles to my thinking and trainning.

Invincibility lies in the defence. The possibility of victory in the attack. - Sun Tzu

Or is it because he plays for Waikato?

I tend to agree about the tactics though, the All Blacks have seemed to been trialling gameplans for RWC for different situations and against different teams. That's what I think the short 22 drop outs are about, they are obviously trying to get really good at it to include it into a possession orientated game plan which has mostly what we've seen this year.

Idiot...

smartcooky;356286 Readers of [I said:
Sun Tzu[/I] will recognise this as the sixth principle of his "Art of War"

A lot of Sun Tzu's philosophy applies superbly to sport!
As part of Hapkido, we were given Sun Tzu's Art of War to read, as my teacher was someone what of a fan. It's very interesting, and applies to almost every situation where it's you verse an opponent.

Sun Tzu also said -

"Water shapes its course according to the nature
of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works
out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing.

Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape,
so in warfare there are no constant conditions."
Meaning that you have to constantly adapt to exploit your opponents weakness. In rugby, that mean's if the opposition is exploiting the fact that the AB's are just spreading it out wide, so therefore commit as little numbers to the breakdown as possible and have a wall defence, then you should adapt your tactics. Every try was scored by a forward, so it showed there was an obvious chance for forwards to exploit the space.

Last edited:
I support a lot of players and most of them aren't from waikato. I do follow waikato and southland and I live in auckland and go see a few auckland games each year. And there are also a few players from Waikato I really dont like.

The flack I get as a Donald supporter now is not new to me. I got the same flack before the 2008 international season started when I suggested Kieran read could make a world class #8 and also when I suggested Kaino could replace Collins in the AB's and all the sheep shaggers suggested I was a one eyed Jafa.

As part of Hapkido, we were given Sun Tzu's Art of War to read, as my teacher was someone what of a fan. It's very interesting, and applies to almost every situation where it's you verse an opponent.

Sun Tzu also said -

Meaning that you have to constantly adapt to exploit your opponents weakness. In rugby, that mean's if the opposition is exploiting the fact that the AB's are just spreading it out wide, so therefore commit as little numbers to the breakdown as possible and have a wall defence, then you should adapt your tactics. Every try was scored by a forward, so it showed there was an obvious chance for forwards to exploit the space.

The funniest thing about Sun Tzu's Art is that the guy it was made for - some general or something - failed miserably when he used it...

I support a lot of players and most of them aren't from waikato. I do follow waikato and southland and I live in auckland and go see a few auckland games each year. And there are also a few players from Waikato I really dont like.

The flack I get as a Donald supporter now is not new to me. I got the same flack before the 2008 international season started when I suggested Kieran read could make a world class #8 and also when I suggested Kaino could replace Collins in the AB's and all the sheep shaggers suggested I was a one eyed Jafa.
Wait, so does that mean you think Donald will be a world class 10? :eek:

The funniest thing about Sun Tzu's Art is that the guy it was made for - some general or something - failed miserably when he used it...

Well Bill Gates & Warren Buffet didnt.

They are principles written before Christ and are used in sport by many coaches and their teams, fighters, businesses and ofcourse war. A lot of it is common sense, that general you speak of Vic I think avoided other key principles and that is why he failed.

Well Bill Gates & Warren Buffet didnt.

They are principles written before Christ and are used in sport by many coaches and their teams, fighters, businesses and ofcourse war. A lot of it is common sense, that general you speak of Vic I think avoided other key principles and that is why he failed.

Oh yeah I'm not doubting the Art, I just find it a funny trivial point.

Every try was scored by a forward, so it showed there was an obvious chance for forwards to exploit the space.

A point that was not lost on me, but even more important was that three of the four were not traditional "forwards" tries, i.e. running off consecutive P&Gs and hitting the ball up down "bloody-nose alley"; they were scored out wide among the backs where the defences were tiring from all the tackling. Two straight after half-time and I thought the flood gates were going to open. They, they changhed tactics, and started playing a little more conservatively until near the end, when Whitelock scored the final try (one that, IMO, he would NEVER have got in the first half). His try really was down to tired players falling off tackles.

Myth. Sun Tzu WAS a general, and he was never defeated in battle.

Latest posts