• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is Beale the real deal?

He could go to fullback if his defence picks up. Good runner and loves the chip and chase which is what you want from your fullback. This is assuming one of our young 10s step up.

I hope the Brumbies play Leafino at 10 rather than Huxley so that all 4 clubs will have a flyhalf capable of playing for the Wallabies.

I agree with you on the possibilty of Beale heading to fullback.

It looks like Barnes has the wallabies 10 jersey as long as he wants, provided his form doesn't drop to far. Also Giteau will be the 12 for the next 6 years or so provided he doesn't head to Europe after his contract expires. This will certainly make it hard for Beale to press for the play making positions.

Beale playing at 15 during the Super14 is something I would certainly like to see, as I'm sure the selectors would to because theres no doubt they're savvy about what I stated in the previous paragraph.

<div class='quotemain'>
gerrard is the real deal... most natural fullback in a while, too skillfull for the wing
[/b]
Haven't seen him do much of note....how many years has he been in the Wallabies? You would think I would remember at least a few moments where he excelled extraordinarily...
[/b][/quote]

His first test was in 2005 against Italy...

Gerrard was without a doubt the most exciting Australian winger during the 2004 Super 12... the highlight being his 3 tries he scored against the Crusaders in the final...

Unfortunately he battled a series of hamstring injuries throughout the following year and has never really returned to his best form since...

However, he was Australia's top try scorer last year. He may not be the fastest winger in the bunch but he knows how to score tries and has a BIG boot.

I think it was a big blow to the Wallabies to lose him so early in the World Cup.

It will be very interesting to see how much game time Beale gets, and in what position, next year. It will be equally interesting to see if the SANZAR boys push through the ELV's, giving Beale a bit of an early edge on the competition.

I also have to agree that Gerrard should make a move from the wing. He's basically a faster version of Scott Hamilton for the Crusaders. He has all the right talents, and I think he's reaching a ceiling on his ability as a winger. He doesn't have that unpredictable spark or blinding pace that's necessary. But with Huxley a likely starter at 15, and with AAC in the team its gunna be hard for Fisher to shuffle all his Aces in the backline to find the best combinations.

However, he was Australia's top try scorer last year. He may not be the fastest winger in the bunch but he knows how to score tries and has a BIG boot.
[/b]
In a pretty dismal team, being the best of the mediocre isn't too much to go on about...

As for his past form, it was alright but since then, perhaps because of his injuries, not as good...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
In a pretty dismal team, being the best of the mediocre isn't too much to go on about...
[/b][/quote]

You could say that about most players in the Wallabies...

It will be very interesting to see how much game time Beale gets, and in what position, next year. It will be equally interesting to see if the SANZAR boys push through the ELV's, giving Beale a bit of an early edge on the competition.

I also have to agree that Gerrard should make a move from the wing. He's basically a faster version of Scott Hamilton for the Crusaders. He has all the right talents, and I think he's reaching a ceiling on his ability as a winger. He doesn't have that unpredictable spark or blinding pace that's necessary. But with Huxley a likely starter at 15, and with AAC in the team its gunna be hard for Fisher to shuffle all his Aces in the backline to find the best combinations.
[/b]

Unfortunately I see Fisher starting off the season playing it safe by putting Huxley at flyhalf and Fairbanks at inside centre.

I'm really not too fond of Fairbanks and there is quite a few players in the team I'd rather pair up with Mortlock. As for Huxley - he's an excellent fullback, but doesn't really shine at flyhalf.

Anyways, because he's going to play Huxley at flyhalf I would assume AAC would play fullback with Gerrard and Rathbone on the wings. I would prefer Gerrard at fullback over AAC because Gerrard has got such an awesome boot and is good under the high ball whereas Ashley-Cooper is such a devastating ball runner.

Let's hope that Lealifaano can get a run and show what he's got because they'll need a proper successor to Larkham.

Obviously AAC is now the first choice out of the back 3 and if Huxley goes back to fullback I think it'll be Gerrard and Rathbone fighting it out for the other wing with Gerrard more in favour at the moment. Hopefully Rathbone's long break from the game can see him return to form. It would be interesting to see a centre pairing of him and Mortlock actually.

I use to enjoy the days where Gerrard was at top flight and one damaging winger. But since his knee injury he hasn't been the same. Fullback is probably his best spot now. Huxley could be moved to 12 hes done alright there and would give the Brumbies another kicking option.

Latest posts