Latest Rugby 08

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

Garth Truter

I did not get Rugby 06 and would like to know if it is worth spending the money on rugby 2008? Here in SA I can get the rugby 2008 for R299.00 or I can get the Rugby 06 for R99.00. That is a big difference, even though the Rugby 06 is now old.

Rugby 06 = rugby 05 with some minor improvements.
Rugby 08 = rugby 06 with bigger improvements (I did not say major).

If you have Rugby 05, save the money and get rugby 08. Buying rugby 06 would be a waste.
If you do not have rugby 05, I would say that Rugby 06 is preferable, if money is limited (and I understand that it is). Rugby 08 looks much nicer, but there are no fundamental differences (gameplay, team management, the rosters are just as crappy, etc.)

I hope that helps.

It does look very good even if some players don't look right I can't fault the graphics. Play is a lot faster than it was.

With the exception of having apaulingly out of date rosters and a few bugs (which I have thankfully not encountered yet) I think it's a game worth buying.

depends how fuzzy you are about stats and rosters lol

but i'd get it just coz the cpu can score against me now!

This is just one big rip off of a game....pretty much an updated version of the PS2 version....nowhere near as good as the xbox '06 version.

Only the custmomisable camera angles were of interest.

I take it the PC version is tops though as at least on PC the graphics are great. PS2 graphics and framerate are just too depressing:(

The PS2 version is a bit slow executing commands as well...not as snappy as the xbox.

So I will simply carry on playing Rugby06 on xbox.......

From the mouth of the allmighty, ye speaketh ye truth my lord and thy shall follow in thy footsteps and keepeth playing ye Xbox version of '06 until EA maketh a better attempt at improvething shat game.:p:D

If you have Rugby 05, save the money and get rugby 08. Buying rugby 06 would be a waste.
If you do not have rugby 05, I would say that Rugby 06 is preferable, if money is limited (and I understand that it is). Rugby 08 looks much nicer, but there are no fundamental differences (gameplay, team management, the rosters are just as crappy, etc.)

I hope that helps.
[/b]

Not a case of limited money but do not want to waste it on a game that is not worth it.

Thanks to all for the replies and taking the time to vote, really do appreciate it.

<div class='quotemain'>

I hope that helps.
[/b]

Not a case of limited money but do not want to waste it on a game that is not worth it.

Thanks to all for the replies and taking the time to vote, really do appreciate it. [/b][/quote]

It wont be a waste - buying 06 would be ---

The first time in ages the ai actually beats me - wow lol

But there will be a roster editor out soon so you will even be able to correct stats

I say buy 08 - im in SA aswell and i spent me R299.00 and i can proudly say that 08 is way better than 06.

I would say its definitely worht getting just for ther resaon that its another rugby game - as a minority sport we're quite lucky there is a mainstream rugby game on the market at all, so I would take advantage of it.

With rgds to the game - it is good, and there are definitely some improvements over 06, but at the same time for some reason EA have taken out some features, particularly reducing the number of tournaments and giving us the same pool games in the world cup.

So far the more I play the game the more I am enjoying it - now I've got the hang of the new set pieces (Mauls, advanced lineouts etc) and also how to time off-loads etc I'm really enjoying it, especially playing club games which seem to be harder and more realistic. I'm playing as the Harlequins in the European trophy and its really tough.

I've also had to introduce a couple of my own rules to make it a bit harder. One thing I hate is how badly the blind side is defended so I've made a rule whereby you can only pass the ball to the first receiver on the blind side rather than two quick passes out to the wing which usually results in a break. If the FR breaks the first tackle or has the offload option you can pass out to the wing.

Also I wait a second or two after every ruck to allow the AI defence to re-align and this results in far fewer gaps in the defence. It forces you to use creativity and tactics to break down the defence. Anyway I'm now having some great games and everything feels a lot more realistic. Give it a try!

I take it the PC version is tops though as at least on PC the graphics are great

Yep. Actually it doesn't look much worse than madden '07 on the 360. Higher res but without the fancy effects of the next gen consoles.

If you play regularly or it's your first rugby game it's definitely worth getting. It's significantly more challenging than '06 if you use some house rules and don't exploit the game (such as the diagonal run with a fast back).

The addition of custom camera angles is also much more valuable than it sounds.

I'm playing as the Harlequins in the European trophy and its really tough.
[/b]

wasn't andrew mehrtens in that team last season? i know hes now moved onto toulon(sp?) but then shouldn't he be in the game? i want him in my world league team!

Just played Rugby 08 at my mates on PC and I must say I for one will not be buying this game... Some very minor improvements here and there and they make certain parts prettier, but this is seriously not worthy of even being called an 'expansion pack'... it's more like an update patch. How on earth they're getting away with charging $100 is beyong me. And they're flat out lying on the pack with some of the listed improvements... I played against the AI on elite without even having a warm up game and still thrashed the All Blacks with the wallabies 42-13 on 10 min halves and I never noticed the 'improved defences' that makes you seek 'creative scoring'...
Ugh... if it weren't for EA coming out with the kick arse C&C 3 this year (I grew up with this series) I would seriously be bombing their headquarters by now for this abysmal ***le.

when you get all the additions such as editors, it becomes good, and the genius woosah has said the next update could include player faces, and ability to take stats into world league

Just played Rugby 08 at my mates on PC and I must say I for one will not be buying this game... Some very minor improvements here and there and they make certain parts prettier, but this is seriously not worthy of even being called an 'expansion pack'... it's more like an update patch. How on earth they're getting away with charging $100 is beyong me. And they're flat out lying on the pack with some of the listed improvements... I played against the AI on elite without even having a warm up game and still thrashed the All Blacks with the wallabies 42-13 on 10 min halves and I never noticed the 'improved defences' that makes you seek 'creative scoring'...
Ugh... if it weren't for EA coming out with the kick arse C&C 3 this year (I grew up with this series) I would seriously be bombing their headquarters by now for this abysmal ***le. [/b]

I get where ur coming from and yes this is more of an update than an expansion, but there are quite a few 'tweaks' which when you play the game a few times you begin to notice and appreciate. At first like you I was shocked at how similar the game is, but now I wouldn't go back to 06 because 08 IS a better game.

And the defence does tighten up near the goal line. The tackles are heavier, and the AI drives you back. However like 06, if you play with a good team its still pretty easy on ELITE. I add a few second rate players to my team to balance things out and I've had some really close games.

In the backline, the trick is to chose players that can break tackles but are pretty slow. you'll get a much more realistic game. As someone on these forums said before, the game rewards speed far too much, and its still way too easy to run round the defence with a nippy winger. Chose slower players and things tighten up very quickly.

i agree with that there has only been a few updates but ive noticed the other day when playing against england, wilkinson kept putting people through gaps with miss passes and inside balls which really surprised me, and i like some of the new hand off movements,

if EA spent the next year or 2 devloping it properly, using the madden tackling engine etc, challenge mode with the teams appropriate for that era, but i still like this game, or do now with the help of woosah :D

Im sticking to 06 even though i havent played 08. The fact that theres no roster editor and the rosters are outdated really put me off.

That goaline defence tightening up actually works well, atleast when you are attacking, the oppostion stops you alot, but it is now sooooo easy to defend your own line, teams just cant score on you. They can only get drop goals. I beat france with Japan in the world cup final 28- 6 on elite, for F**ks sake, its pathetic, and I was playing with the self enforced defensive player lock rule. Im already back to 06, at least I can do random pools in the world cup and tri nations. Whats the point in having the licensed world cup? We get the logo on the jersey which you can only see in cut scenes, and are doomed to play only the 07 world cup over and over again. Half the teams arent even licensed anyway!! Keep your copies of 06. Youll need them. Im starting to rant, so thats it for now.

Latest posts