• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the Six Nations Bigger than the Tri Nations?

are you serious?? do you base the sucsess of a system on whether you win a one-off game every four years?? i would think you have abit more sense then that.[/b]

No, I base success of a system on overall success, but every system has a crap period and an excellent period. You always forget that we had an excellent period of success before people started arguing, people started getting injured and the wrong people were put in charge. These things happen, whatever goes around comes around, we'll have our time again.

NZ Rugby is in a Extremely healthy state at the moment. we can probably field 2 sides capable of winning the RWC. we could field about 4 sides that should make the 1/4's. regardless of if we choke in the RWC or win it is irellevant.[/b]

It is relevant because you'll be churning out teams which will always be known as "the team that never won the world cup" and not only that you'll have to live down every joke because when you boast about AB teams of the future someone will always chime in "yeah, but did they win the World Cup?" and you'll say "...er..well...but they're amazing!" to which they will say "yes, but did they win the center piece tournament in world rugby?" And you'll have to say no!

Our system keeps churning out good footballers which will keep the all blacks in the top echelon of world rugby. admittedly we are extremely fortunite geographicly to reap the benefits of the pacifc islands but so are Australia. and we still develop the island talent alot better than Australia has over the years.[/b]

This is kiwi-code for "we're really good at stealing talent from the smaller Pacific nations."

i dont know why you bring up RWC's. AUS aside..NZ have the best record. Choke or not... they are the only side to make the semi-finals of every RWC.[/b]

No, they don't have the best record. The only record that counts is WINNING the damn thing, not coming 2nd, or 3rd or 4th or even getting the wooden spoon. If you don't come back with the Webb Ellis trophy then its a waste of time.

Are you seriously suggesting that New Zealand should hold wild celebrations because you came in the runners up? You really do need a reality check mate. For a guy who loves to rant on about how the All Blacks can win everything, you're not really bothered about the most important Rugby trophy out there (i.e. the RWC).

So, as you can see, that is why I keep going on about the RWC because it matters, because your record in it is crap because you've choked every time.

you say were so bad.. but if we go on as expected by most pundits and win this years RWC... will that all of a sudden make us the greatest rugby nation in the world?? i think not.... weve built that reputation over 110 years or so.[/b]

I'm not saying the All Blacks are bad, I'm just saying winning the RWC will put the cherry on the cake. For a team with so much potential, you really should have won more than one RWC.

I mean, the England cricket team could beat everyone in the cricket world with such domination that they could be described as the best team ever (far fetched I know), but unless they win the competition that matters (i.e. the Ashes) then, quite frankly, whats the f*cking point?

The All Blacks have to win it this year, they just have to. Not for the last fifteen years have they enjoyed such a period of utter domination over every side over such an extended period of time. If they flop this year then it will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Imagine it "the best All Black team of the last 30 years never to win the World Cup".

If this All Black team want to cement their domination, they HAVE to win this year. Get used to it.

Pressssshure!

The ABs crack in the semis - as usual. South Island sinks, North Island erupts in a massive volcano. George Bush blames "Islamists". Rugby world laughs.

Originally posted by Prestwick+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prestwick)</div>
No, I base success of a system on overall success, but every system has a crap period and an excellent period. You always forget that we had an excellent period of success before people started arguing, people started getting injured and the wrong people were put in charge. These things happen, whatever goes around comes around, we'll have our time again.[/b]

The New Zealand system has had a non stop excellent period of 90 years, and yet your system which has crap, than excellent periods is supposed to be better than ours? And what kind of system can be better when infighting occurs and a wrong person can bring the whole thing crashing down (The NZRFU had that wrong person in Mitch, but they seem to have recovered OK....)

<!--QuoteBegin-Prestwick

It is relevant because you'll be churning out teams which will always be known as "the team that never won the world cup" and not only that you'll have to live down every joke because when you boast about AB teams of the future someone will always chime in "yeah, but did they win the World Cup?" and you'll say "...er..well...but they're amazing!" to which they will say "yes, but did they win the center piece tournament in world rugby?" And you'll have to say no!

And? We'll still have won more World Cups than the entire Northern Hemisphere, and I highly doubt that 90 Years of Dominance over you lot is going to be washed away because we lose a game every 4 years (Which, might I add, has only ever once been at the hands of a team North of the Equator)

Originally posted by Prestwick
This is kiwi-code for "we're really good at stealing talent from the smaller Pacific nations."

This is english-code for "i'm ****** off that our best winger is Ben Cohen" - what talent are you referring to? and to help you along, I recommend that you don't use any of the following players..

Tana Umaga - Born in Lower Hutt... Wellington
Joe Rocokoko - Came to NZ to live when he was 5
Mils Muliania - Came to NZ to live when he was 3
Jerry Collins - Came to NZ to live when he was 8
Jonah Lomu - Born in New Zealand
Kevin Mealamu - Born in New Zealand
Sitiveni Sivivatu - Went to School in NZ - Wasn't wanted by Fiji until the All Blacks decleared Interest - stood down for 3 years despite already living in the country for much more than that

No, they don't have the best record. The only record that counts is WINNING the damn thing, not coming 2nd, or 3rd or 4th or even getting the wooden spoon. If you don't come back with the Webb Ellis trophy then its a waste of time.

Are you seriously suggesting that New Zealand should hold wild celebrations because you came in the runners up? You really do need a reality check mate. For a guy who loves to rant on about how the All Blacks can win everything, you're not really bothered about the most important Rugby trophy out there (i.e. the RWC).

So, as you can see, that is why I keep going on about the RWC because it matters, because your record in it is crap because you've choked every time.[/b]

Who would you say has a better World Cup Record - Japan or France?

<!--QuoteBegin-Prestwick

The All Blacks have to win it this year, they just have to. Not for the last fifteen years have they enjoyed such a period of utter domination over every side over such an extended period of time. If they flop this year then it will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Imagine it "the best All Black team of the last 30 years never to win the World Cup".

What about 96 and 97 - Only lost one test, which was an Dead Rubber Match after becoming the First All Black team to ever win a test series in South Africa, dominated the First Two Tri Nations, and beat Argentina by 85 points.

We are making progress though Shiznit, at least you're not hiding behind South Africa and Australia when it comes to RWC stats, at least you're taking your record of failure in the RWC like a man! And trust me, any place other than first in the RWC is a failure, if you are out there to win it, why would you celebrate coming in 2nd, 3rd or 4th?! [/b]

Did you even read Shiznits Post? These are YOUR exact words :

I'm not claiming that it is perfect, I am just saying that it is better in my opinion than the system of dictatorship from a board of old farts at the RFUs of SA, Australia and NZ.[/b]

That is why bringing up South Africa and Australia was relevant - because YOU were the one who bought them up in the first place... and its funny, for such a superior system, you still celebrate a draw against us by doing a victory lap.

<!--QuoteBegin-Shotve

Pressssshure!

The ABs crack in the semis - as usual. South Island sinks, North Island erupts in a massive volcano. George Bush blames "Islamists". Rugby world laughs.

Ireland don't make it past the Top 8... again.

The New Zealand system has had a non stop excellent period of 90 years, and yet your system which has crap, than excellent periods is supposed to be better than ours? And what kind of system can be better when infighting occurs and a wrong person can bring the whole thing crashing down (The NZRFU had that wrong person in Mitch, but they seem to have recovered OK....)[/b]

Last 90 years? Not quite true really. New Zealand are an incredible rugby nation but they have had their fallow periods just like everyone else.

And? We'll still have won more World Cups than the entire Northern Hemisphere-[/b]

Sorry what? Shall we count them together shall we, lets start.

There we go! Just the one! Are you still subconsciously hiding behind Australia and South Africa again? You cheeky monkey! :lol:

-and I highly doubt that 90 Years of Dominance over you lot is going to be washed away because we lose a game every 4 years (Which, might I add, has only ever once been at the hands of a team North of the Equator)[/b]

A mark of a REAL team is when they win the games that really matter, such as World Cup games. If you don't have enough in the tank to beat a team that you can whip usually outside of the World Cup, you have to ask yourself, why can't that team pull it out of the bag? What exactly is making the All Blacks choke at the world cup?

This is english-code for "i'm ****** off that our best winger is Ben Cohen"-[/b]

Oh dear, he hasn't heard of David Strettle has he? The poor bugger. :lol2tn:

Who would you say has a better World Cup Record - Japan or France?[/b]

Neither.

What about 96 and 97 - Only lost one test, which was an Dead Rubber Match after becoming the First All Black team to ever win a test series in South Africa, dominated the First Two Tri Nations, and beat Argentina by 85 points.[/b]

Why can't they replicate that form in a World Cup and win every match and dominate the competition all the way through? What is stopping them from doing this? Its all good and well trotting off lines of results, but you need to ask yourselves, why teams like Australia and South Africa can take that form to the World Cup and win while New Zealand can't?

Did you even read Shiznits Post? These are YOUR exact words[/b]

I don't care what my exact words were, it isn't relevant to bring up OTHER nations statistics when trying to explain away the fact that YOU have dropped a bollock on four separate occasions!

And for that point, did I mention at that point that the NH had won more RWCs than the SH? No, I have focused exclusively on New Zealand and their failure to add more World Cups to their trophy cabinet.

Can you tell me, please, straight, no bullshit, no dodging or diving, or using South Africa or Australia as a shield, or using cheap shots at NH players as a diversion, why New Zealand hasn't won a World Cup since the 1980s. I want a serious answer.

Originally posted by Shotve
Pressssshure!

Ireland don't make it past the Top 8... again.
[/b]
It's true. So true. But we'll beat the hide off anyone.

C'mon Ireland!

Last 90 years? Not quite true really. New Zealand are an incredible rugby nation but they have had their fallow periods just like everyone else.[/b]

Nothing compared to this England fallow period - we lost 5 games in a row in 98 but that was it, we've never lost to Scotland, Ireland or Argentina, and haven't lost to Wales since 1953 - you've done all that, and much more in the last 2 years

Sorry what? Shall we count them together shall we, lets start.

There we go! Just the one! Are you still subconsciously hiding behind Australia and South Africa again? You cheeky monkey! :lol:[/b]

And?

A mark of a REAL team is when they win the games that really matter, such as World Cup games. If you don't have enough in the tank to beat a team that you can whip usually outside of the World Cup, you have to ask yourself, why can't that team pull it out of the bag? What exactly is making the All Blacks choke at the world cup?

Hype (From Non-NZ Nations - i.e no one in NZ in 91 really gave the AB's much chance, what with the team retiring/getting old, anybody with blood in the legs still getting poached by League (Our Top 2 Fullbacks were poached within a week in the lead up) and we had Co-Coaches... was a shame that Grizz Wylie and John Hart hate each other - ditto with 99 with around 8 players retiring 18 months before the World Cup), Sickness (cough*95*cough - still took 100 minutes with a nation united for the first time behind them for the Springboks to get past us in probably the toughest Rugby Game i've ever seen - the 03 Final was a game of tiddlywinks compared to that game) and stupidity (John Mitchell... nuff said).

but I still maintain we only choked in 03 and a lesser extent 99 - there we two equal teams in 95 and there is no way in hell we were (or at least deserved) the favourites tag in 91.

Oh dear, he hasn't heard of David Strettle has he? The poor bugger. :lol2tn:

He's played, what... 2 tests? I'm sure Graham Henry has nightmares about him

Neither.

lolza, so making 2 Finals and 2 Semi Finals =/= Your most memorable World Cup moment was losing 145-17.

<!--QuoteBegin-Prestwick
@
Why can't they replicate that form in a World Cup and win every match and dominate the competition all the way through? What is stopping them from doing this? Its all good and well trotting off lines of results, but you need to ask yourselves, why teams like Australia and South Africa can take that form to the World Cup and win while New Zealand can't?

Well, the only time we really dominated the Lead Up to the World Cup was 2003 - 91 there was all that drama, Laurie Mains almost lost his Job in 94 and even with his 1995 Success still only had something like a 64% record and John Hart lost that 5 in a row in 1998 after having half the team retire.

<!--QuoteBegin-Prestwick

I don't care what my exact words were, it isn't relevant to bring up OTHER nations statistics when trying to explain away the fact that YOU have dropped a bollock on four separate occasions!

And for that point, did I mention at that point that the NH had won more RWCs than the SH? No, I have focused exclusively on New Zealand and their failure to add more World Cups to their trophy cabinet.

No you haven't, before that you were going on about how SANZAR is holding the game back. Re-read your posts - and look which ones Shiznit responded to - you only started focusing on NZ AFTER Shiznit bought up the fact SANZAR teams results wise are destroying the ones in this "superior" Northern System.

Can you tell me, please, straight, no bullshit, no dodging or diving, or using South Africa or Australia as a shield, or using cheap shots at NH players as a diversion, why New Zealand hasn't won a World Cup since the 1980s. I want a serious answer.

Retard Coaching Choices and Coaching Decisions (91, 03), Sickness (95) and the fact we weren't as good as hyped (91, 99)

lol.... so this clown thinks that by winning world cups it makes you a better rugby nation??

weve still won the same amount of world cups as the ENTIRE northern hemisphere.

but keep harping on about us choking. all that means is that if we win it... you will probably go MIA and we wont hear from you again.

Prestwick is pretty much saying that Australia is the greatest rugby nation of all because they have won the most world cups. This however is very wrong.

dont get me wrong... im a kiwi... theres nothing i want more then to see richie lifting the web ellis trophy.. but c'mon... its not the be all and end all of rugby.

the four years inbetween you still have the bledisloe, tri-nations, super14, NPC, Lions tour etc...

I have some quick questions.

When was the first football world cup?

In which year did Brazil win their first world cup?

Which country is regarded as the greatest footballing nation on earth?

From a statistical point of view short term results are often mis-leading and it isn't until a reasonable sample is presented that true trends emerge.

With regard to Australia winning two world cups - I think that they were lucky enough (or good enough) to peak at the right time because during the rest of the '90s they bordered between being reasonable to total crap. The 1996 Bledisloe Cup match at Athletic Park was the height of their crapness.

And then for the IRB to award them the team of the nineties shows how tough it is to rate nations solely on their world cup record or their non-world cup record.

It is, quick frankly, a waste of time. After all if the All Blacks win the next world in France and then defend their ***le four years later in NZ does that suddenly take them from world cup chokers to the greatest world cup and rugby playing nation in the world? Hardly!

It is as much of a waste of time as comparing the Six Nations to the Tri-Nations. The tournaments are so radically different as to make them impossible to compare.

The 6N has decades of history and rivarly between all of the nations - most of them had been at war with one another at some point in time in their history. They play in huge stadia and each country has far larger population and therefore can boast huge stadium turnouts. And the fact that geographically the countries are so much closer than their 3N counterparts pretty much guarantees that more visiting fans will be able to attend the games.

The 3N is much younger and and does not have the same amount of history as the 6N. Also their isn't the same amount of history between the 2 countries. Technically none of the participants have been at war with each other. And because the games are spread out other such a large geographical and the populations of the country are as large as that of their 6N rivals mean that the crowds aren't going to be as large.

So to conclude - the 6N is watched by more people and has more of a history and culture but in terms of the level of competition and the influence on world rugby is obvious. For a long, long time the South has lead the world in developing the style and tactics of rugby.

It is why so many players leave the South to play their trade in the North. It is also why so many South coaches will travel to the North to coach their.

I watched some of the 6N this year and in particular the England v Italy game. I watched the game in the early hours of the morning at an Irish Pub in Melbourne (Chapel St to be more specific - I even saw a guy getting knifed earlier on that night) and couldn't believe that lack of skill and creative nous. Some English guys that I saw watching the game had glum faces even though they won 20-7.

There is no way that the pap that was delivered that night is able to in any way compete with what is seen in the 3N.

So sure the 6N is a bigger tournament in terms of tv viewers and stadia attendence but there is no way that it delivers better rugby - no way!

Nothing compared to this England fallow period - we lost 5 games in a row in 98 but that was it, we've never lost to Scotland, Ireland or Argentina, and haven't lost to Wales since 1953 - you've done all that, and much more in the last 2 years[/b]

But boy, we could whip anyone when we really want to, onwards the English! :bana:

You said that New Zealand has won more world cups than the entire NH, which is a blatant lie. Go re-read your posts Ripper, I'm shocked and appalled that an amazing proofreader such as yourself could fail to pick up on that piece of information. Seriously, just admit you just won one world cup and get on with it.

Hype (From Non-NZ Nations - i.e no one in NZ in 91 really gave the AB's much chance, what with the team retiring/getting old, anybody with blood in the legs still getting poached by League (Our Top 2 Fullbacks were poached within a week in the lead up) and we had Co-Coaches... was a shame that Grizz Wylie and John Hart hate each other - ditto with 99 with around 8 players retiring 18 months before the World Cup), Sickness (cough*95*cough - still took 100 minutes with a nation united for the first time behind them for the Springboks to get past us in probably the toughest Rugby Game i've ever seen - the 03 Final was a game of tiddlywinks compared to that game) and stupidity (John Mitchell... nuff said).

but I still maintain we only choked in 03 and a lesser extent 99 - there we two equal teams in 95 and there is no way in hell we were (or at least deserved) the favourites tag in 91.

Well, the only time we really dominated the Lead Up to the World Cup was 2003 - 91 there was all that drama, Laurie Mains almost lost his Job in 94 and even with his 1995 Success still only had something like a 64% record and John Hart lost that 5 in a row in 1998 after having half the team retire.[/b]

And so it appears! Praise to the lord, for the fools have finally given me a straight answer after all these years! I shall drink to the nation of New Zealand tonight let me assure you!

And I thought New Zealand were dominator who have fallow periods. You see, you're telling me that they are amazing (which, yes, they are) but then you're making silly excuses for their flops at the world cup. You should demand more, seriously, they can take a bit of ribbing by the press and the fans so if they come out this year in the Semis, welcome them home with a lynch party.

He's played, what... 2 tests? I'm sure Graham Henry has nightmares about him[/b]

And he's played bloody well in both of them, the only player who drove Wales nuts, he has Jason Robinson qualities about him and lets face it, Jason Robinson in his prime would give Graham Henry nightmares.

lolza, so making 2 Finals and 2 Semi Finals =/= Your most memorable World Cup moment was losing 145-17.[/b]

No, my most memorable World Cup moment was winning the World Cup! :bana: Crikey Ripper, can I have a tip because you just got served! :bana:

And for that point, did I mention at that point that the NH had won more RWCs than the SH? No, I have focused exclusively on New Zealand and their failure to add more World Cups to their trophy cabinet.[/b]

No you haven't, before that you were going on about how SANZAR is holding the game back. Re-read your posts - and look which ones Shiznit responded to - you only started focusing on NZ AFTER Shiznit bought up the fact SANZAR teams results wise are destroying the ones in this "superior" Northern System.[/b]

No, why don't you re-read the newspaper or something instead. I know what I was talking about and to whom I was talking to and I don't need someone telling me that thank you very much! There was the debate over SANZAR but then (if you bothered to re-read properly) Shiznit mentioned New Zealand's "record" which has started this whole debate.

Retard Coaching Choices and Coaching Decisions (91, 03), Sickness (95) and the fact we weren't as good as hyped (91, 99)
[/b]

But these were the same coaches who had swept all before them outside of the World Cup! So what happened?

Something always happens in the World Cup, its something different and as Test Matches are getting more and more devalued (which, granted we are responsible for that one) then things like the World Cup are starting to matter more and more. This is indicative of another major change in World Rugby as there is a large minority in the English and French fans who would rather that the Summer and even the Autumn internationals be culled in favour of a less congested league schedule!

Now I don't agree with this but this is starting to catch on. I really hope it won't catch on as I really do love internationals but, thats change and a bunch of old duffers from SANZAR won't be able to hold the tide back I am afraid.

Prestwick is pretty much saying that Australia is the greatest rugby nation of all because they have won the most world cups. This however is very wrong.[/b]

Haha no, I don't, I simply think that the World Cup is a serious and major set piece tournament and that it is baffling that the most consistent and best performing team (i.e. the All Blacks) haven't been able to win it since the late 1980s. Maybe it is just a freak of nature, that it is meant to be, that elephants are meant to have long trunks, whales have to surface to breathe and that the All Blacks are not meant to win any more than one World Cup?

We shall see! B)

Just going back in relation to schools Rugby, after looking into it (online research, and talking to people who played schools rugby in these countries), It seems to me that South Africa have probably the best schools cup followed closely by Ireland. Infact, Schools rugby in these two countries are at such a high level, guidence councelors must come to aid of players having break downs after being knocked out of a cup.

One of the top Schools in Ireland (Blackrock College) has won the competition a record 65 times out of a possible 120 times. They also have played once in the English Schools Cup with their B team and came second. Intensity and rivelry are huge during this cup, it gets national attention and probably the toughest schools cup to win in the World.

Visit: Leinster Schools Senior Cup

I find nothing wrong with 6nations its alright to watch when theres nothing else left to watch, but i do enjoy tri nations better. Everyone to there own i spose, Its only human And Prestwick you need to take a "chil pill" bro... Looks as though NEW ZEALAND and the team "All Black" are you favorite enemy.... RELAX A BIT BUDDY!

You, True Legnd (is that meant to be some kind of txt typin' there?), need to relax.

For I need no "chill pills", a, because they sound illegal (like Class A illegal) and, b, I write these more with the appraisal of a stoned Berkeley University lecturer rather than a red faced, raving lunatic like , say, Rush Limbaugh or THE TRUTH.

Oh Legend, ol' buddy, ol' pal, my friend from way way back, you will find that the team who I find are my favourite enemy are Harlequins because they always poke fun at us Sarries and our Stadia and our players and the standard of our drum brigade...grrrr. Also my 2nd favourite enemy team is Bokmagic because of his merciless taunting over Mike Catt. Then again one man alone does not a team make (unless of course you are Prince Obolensky who could do anything) but I would consider him my ENEMY team! Bokmagic, consider yourself on notice! But New Zealand really aren't on my list really, mainly because we don't play them enough until quite recently like the last couple of years (and even that was a fluke because of the RFU). Now, if I were an Australian or a Wokka Bokka, then I could see such an outlandish accusation being the crime that would send me to the gallows, but, sadly, for now I remain free, free to commit yet more crimes! Can you catch me? I think not! Consider me the cheeky Essex version of Jack the Ripper whereas instead of severed body parts arriving in your mail, you'll just get a note from me saying that "you smell, harr harr" and other such witty quips. Oh! the hilarity of it all.

Oh well, "Brotha" (that is what they say in the "Ghetto" down in Dunedin or Christchurch isn't it?) , it seems that we have come to our journeys end. During our tremendous voyage of discovery we have discovered that you are a waterboy, I am stoner, Bokmagic is the equivalent of Dick Dastardly, that you smell and I don't, that I have apparently committed numerous crimes and have yet to be caught, The Trush is Rush Limbaugh, Mite makes less sense than Rush Limbaugh, my avatar is better than yours, I actually have a sig while you don't, I corrected your name for spelling, this whole post is probably riddled with grammatical and spelling errors, I have finished my university coursework and as you can tell am still in the groove for writing! Ooooooh yeah!

You can probably that I listen to only the finest in bachelor and lounge music, go to somafm and listen to secret agent, "you knows it clart" as our urinary fragrance d Welshman of the board Lora would say and indeed, who would say any different?

But New Zealand really aren't on my list really, mainly because we don't play them enough until quite recently like the last couple of years [/b]

New Zealand have met England in the last 5 straight years playing 6 games in total.

Yes but that has been a fluke of scheduling and money grabbing, in any case, we'll have played almost as many games against South Africa in the last alone by the time the World cup rolls around (five games within 10 months).

New Zealand still aren't on my list. Awwww wads da madda? You guys down there want some attention? :lol:

But New Zealand really aren't on my list really, mainly because we don't play them enough until quite recently like the last couple of years [/b]

Corrections:

New Zealand have met England in the last 5 straight years playing 6 games in total.[/b]

Oh well, "Brotha" (that is what they say in the "Ghetto" down in Dunedin or Christchurch isn't it?) [/b]

Seems you dont know anything about NEWZEALAND?? didnt know Dunners had a ghetto, also you dont have to live in the south island to call someone "brotha" and the term "brotha" comes from America not NEW ZEALAND bro! :bleh!: And if you re-read your posts everthing that say is anti NEW ZEALAND or your sick of the All blacks WE choke at the world cups its never ending from you alone. Me i have nothing but love for the game :D :D

TL

Fancy stumbling across this forum while using youtube and seeing you here. :p interesting post btw.

Latest posts