• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is this a stupid idea?

ChicagoKid

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
South Africa
Disclosure - Honeymooned in South Africa during RWC and really started watching Rugby only the last year or so. So if I say something completely backwards, please call me out.

However, reading the tea leaves, it seems like Super Rugby is likely finished and there will be substantial shakeup of competitions like Six Nations and Rugby Championships. Now I understand that countries like Italy, Scotland and Wales would likely never go for this, but here is an idea:

South Africa appears like they are making shifts to join the Six Nations and cash-in. That's bad news for RC members because SA is 50 percent of TV audience.

So here is my proposal: South Africa Joins Six Nations to Create a 7 Nations Tournament. SA gets more money and Six Nations get a prestigious team to join with a massive TV audience. You create two separate Six (Seven) Nation tournaments with promotion/relegation.

For year 1: Italy, South Africa, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France. ---- On the other side, you create a mostly Tier 2 development league with the winner being promoted: Georgia, Russia, Romania, Portugal, Spain, Germany and Fiji (Based somewhere in Europe).

Now the Rugby Championship is clearly needing another economic engine to power TV contracts, so they add Japan. That aligns timezones and creates an avenue for Japan to grow into a major power and use its massive GDP to attract advertisers.

So am I bonkers?

Disclosure - Honeymooned in South Africa during RWC and really started watching Rugby only the last year or so. So if I say something completely backwards, please call me out.

However, reading the tea leaves, it seems like Super Rugby is likely finished and there will be substantial shakeup of competitions like Six Nations and Rugby Championships. Now I understand that countries like Italy, Scotland and Wales would likely never go for this, but here is an idea:

South Africa appears like they are making shifts to join the Six Nations and cash-in. That's bad news for RC members because SA is 50 percent of TV audience.

So here is my proposal: South Africa Joins Six Nations to Create a 7 Nations Tournament. SA gets more money and Six Nations get a prestigious team to join with a massive TV audience. You create two separate Six (Seven) Nation tournaments with promotion/relegation.

For year 1: Italy, South Africa, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France. ---- On the other side, you create a mostly Tier 2 development league with the winner being promoted: Georgia, Russia, Romania, Portugal, Spain, Germany and Fiji (Based somewhere in Europe).

Now the Rugby Championship is clearly needing another economic engine to power TV contracts, so they add Japan. That aligns timezones and creates an avenue for Japan to grow into a major power and use its massive GDP to attract advertisers.

So am I bonkers?

7N is a possibility (I would prefer the Boks to stay in Rugby Championship)

But, England, Wales, Scotland Ireland, Italy and France will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever

agree to promotion and relegation.

There is more chance of me shacking up with Taylor Siwft and St Vincent in a menage a trois and then flying to the mars.

So am I bonkers?

theres a few points to unpick i this....but you know where fiji is dont you? USA would work better surely, fiji just wont be able to afford to travel to europe for a comp

I think Italy are probably ******** themselves with SA looking north. It's a swap that puts money in the other five unions pockets and makes the most people happy really.

theres a few points to unpick i this....but you know where fiji is dont you? USA would work better surely, fiji just wont be able to afford to travel to europe for a comp

If the Fijian team was permanently based in a city like Madrid, it could work surely. You could add Fiji to the TRC, but it doesn't add any eyeballs or value for television contracts.

i dont think that ever works, why would the fiji team want to go and pay away for home for a few months, no support no home ground advantage etc, it wold end up costing them more than they make and they already have no money

So am I bonkers?
Went to SA on the last Lions tour. Violent threatening vile racists. Keep them well away from our lovely 6 nations. Hate them.

Latest posts