Is this legal?

Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
Silly question. Just came across this video. t=2:39.

Are you allowed to do that? My instinct says absolutely not but I wouldn't know which law he is breaking to be honest (dangerous play, 9.11 or 9.16?).
YC?

you mean charging the kick with your foot? i think its one of those things, if you get the ball in the air as it were then nothing wrong, miss time it and get the ankle then you'll be in trouble

It's that play, yes. The problem i see is that even if you get the timing right it is incredibly dangerous.

It is even illegal in football (soccer)

Just very clever IMO, having the presence of mind to do it in such a fast-moving situation is extremely switched on.

It's that play, yes. The problem i see is that even if you get the timing right it is incredibly dangerous.

It is even illegal in football (soccer)
in football it would be the same, its just a tackle, if you get the ball you're all good...you get the foot you're in trouble

in football it would be the same, its just a tackle, if you get the ball you're all good...you get the foot you're in trouble
Absolutely not. Fifa's rule 12, dangerous play. Any ref with an iota of knowledge of the laws will blow the whistle if you challenge the ball studs in first. Every single one.

And no, i am not talking about if you miss the ball. I am talking even if u just touch the ball and nothing else. The problem even in that best-case scenario is that you are putting the entire weight of your body against a lateral/upward kick. It is virtually impossible for someone to lift you like that with a kick so that means the entire force comes back at you instantly, which means injury for the kicker. Your only cushion is a bit of ball absorption but that eventually slingshots back at you. Again, incredibly dangerous for your feet and ankles.

We have a specific word for that sort of challenge in spanish, "plancha" which closely translates to (clothes) iron.
If you are playing an unrefereed game there is a considerable chance it ends up in people taking a swing at you. I am in no way exaggerating or romanticizing this. You do that when you want to hurt someone or when you don't know what you are doing.

You can only use your studs on the ball first if you are in control of the ball. Defensive/challenge use, indirect free kick. Ref might let it slide in divided challenges when both go that way, but other than that, never.

It is in fact so frowned upon that if you miss both ball and player it wouldn't be rare for the attacker and his team to stop playing and go after whoever attempted it.

Absolutely not. Fifa's rule 12, dangerous play. Any ref with an iota of knowledge of the laws will blow the whistle if you challenge the ball studs in first. Every single one.

And no, i am not talking about if you miss the ball. I am talking even if u just touch the ball and nothing else. The problem even in that best-case scenario is that you are putting the entire weight of your body against a lateral/upward kick. It is virtually impossible for someone to lift you like that with a kick so that means the entire force comes back at you instantly, which means injury for the kicker. Your only cushion is a bit of ball absorption but that eventually slingshots back at you. Again, incredibly dangerous for your feet and ankles.

We have a specific word for that sort of challenge in spanish, "plancha" which closely translates to (clothes) iron.
If you are playing an unrefereed game there is a considerable chance it ends up in people taking a swing at you. I am in no way exaggerating or romanticizing this. You do that when you want to hurt someone or when you don't know what you are doing.

You can only use your studs on the ball first if you are in control of the ball. Defensive/challenge use, indirect free kick. Ref might let it slide in divided challenges when both go that way, but other than that, never.

It is in fact so frowned upon that if you miss both ball and player it wouldn't be rare for the attacker and his team to stop playing and go after whoever attempted it.
have to agree to disagree, i watch a lot of english football, I have a financial interest in AFC Wimbledon and you'll see several tackles like that in every game, only called if they dont get the ball