• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy's Chances In The World Cup

We won't win the world cup. I just say, we want to play good rugby, we want to show our progresses.
Our pack works well, our backline is solid on defence (not yet in attack, sadly). I think Berbizier is a great coach, he has done a great job in motivating the players and giving them the right preparation, fisically, technically and tactically. I hope this will be the best world cup so far for Italy. I really hope.

And for the Argentinians, we do not have nothing to be ashamed about. Look at the Samoans, Fijians and Tongans in the Wallabies and the All Blacks.
We also have a strong bound with Argentina, as well as many people emigrated there in the early 1900. They came back here and played rugby. What strange? Just look at Parisse, his father (or grandfather, can't remember now) played in L'Aquila Rugby, one of the traditional teams here in Italy, before leaving to Argentina, so he has all the rights to be there. And so is for others. I know many Argentinians that came back here, and they don't play rugby. Is a natural thing. It happens. And if they are here, and want to play rugby, and are good at it, why not selecting for the national team?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> well they certainly won't get close to the All Blacks, that's for sure, way too much in New Zealand's armoury for the Azzuri, plus I get the impression that NZ will be keen to hit the ground running and put down a marker so a huge part of the equation is how Italy react to what New Zealand do to them.

It's a 50/50 game between the Scots and the Italians especially given the fact that it's being played in France but one thing is for sure they won't be gifted 3 intercepts in the opening quarter. They're proving themselves gradually in the 6N, now it's time to step up and prove it on the world stage.
[/b]

Fair assessment - except, I'm thinking Italy could be interesting against the ABs. If they play their full team for the first 60 mins, then it may be tight enough and who knows after that? They'll certainly compete at set piece and in mauls. Their backrow could do well at the breakdown. And Berbizier might just have put enough steel in to the midfield defence. Then it comes down to how the outhalfs control the game.

ABs to win comfortably. But if they overwhelm a full Italy side, then we're all fcuked.

Against Scotland, if Italy get it right in midfield they should win. [/b][/quote] italy aren't very good nz will overwhelm them and your all already fcuked.cheers :D [/b][/quote]

Shhhhhhhhut up.

Italy's form over the last year

7/10/2006 - Italy 83-0 Portugal (WC Qualifier)

14/10/2006 - Russia 7-67 Italy (WC Qualifier)

11/11/2006 - Italy 18-25 Australia (Test)

18/11/2006 - Italy 16-23 Argentina (Test)

25/11/2006 - Italy 41-6 Canada (Test)

3/2/2007 - Italy 3-39 France (6N)

10/2/2007 - England 20-7 Italy (6N)

24/2/2007 - Scotland 17-37 Italy (6N)

10/3/2007 - Italy 23-20 Wales (6N)

17/3/2007 - Italy 24-51 Ireland (6N)

2/6/2007 - Uruguay 5-29 Italy (Test)

9/6/2007 - Argentina 24-6 Italy (Test)

18/8/2007 - Italy 36-12 Japan (Test)

24/8/2007 - Ireland 23-20 Italy (Test)

I do hope Italy do well. They've made a lot of progress and having something like a successful World Cup to show for it would be great.

As for players moving somewhere and then playing for that country, it goes on everywhere and I don't see what the issue is. Dylan Hartley came from Rotorua and he qualifies to play for England....

i think italy has chance to qualify for quater final. they can beat scotland but versus argantina or france or ireland, it will be more difficult. and you can see that versus new zealand, italy was not very good

i wont coment properly until i see scotland this afternoon - but i think most scots are now a lot more confident about victory. Italy didnt beat us in the 6 Nations - we beat ourselfs. (taking nothing away from Italy, they played well, took there chances and deserved to win - but we wont give you a head start in St. Etienne!)

Scotland played fantastically well in the test against Ireland - with our forwards dominating the game.

then we only had 1 7 minute spell against the boks in which they scored 3 tries (of which the 3rd was unstopable) and apart from that we drew 3-3 - and towards the end of the game we were put under intese pressure on our own line yet defended fantastically.

if our backs can find some form, and some confidence, over our next 2 games i am relativly confident Scotland will make the quarters.

Despite a poor start, I still believe Italy can do a decent campaign in this WC. QF is Italy's top goal, difficult but not impossible

And for the Argentinians, we do not have nothing to be ashamed about. Look at the Samoans, Fijians and Tongans in the Wallabies and the All Blacks.
We also have a strong bound with Argentina, as well as many people emigrated there in the early 1900. They came back here and played rugby. What strange? Just look at Parisse, his father (or grandfather, can't remember now) played in L'Aquila Rugby, one of the traditional teams here in Italy, before leaving to Argentina, so he has all the rights to be there. And so is for others. I know many Argentinians that came back here, and they don't play rugby. Is a natural thing. It happens. And if they are here, and want to play rugby, and are good at it, why not selecting for the national team?
[/b]

Absolutely no problem. Nobody says that Italy is cheating the world by playing with Argentinians in the field (well, probably Eternal Idol is not very happy :ph34r: ). If they decided to be italians and use their shirt, it is OK for them.
Forza Italia!! :bana:

It's a terrible year for Italy... Out quickly in the Eurobasket... In the Euro volley, i don't think they will go to the semi... In football, they will be probably out of the Euro too... For sure it's not a good year...

Italy 24 - Romania 18

For Italy:
No bonus point.
One try without owner (penal try)

Argentinian Pez: 11 points (3 penals, 1 goal)
Argentinian Dellape: 5 points (try)
then, 16 argentinian points!!!!

Oh yes, French Bortolussi: 3 points (1 penal)... and 5 points lost

Congrats to Italy, they were superior to my national team in almost all aspects.

However, I don't see them beating Scotland if they keep on playing like this.

Congrats to Italy, they were superior to my national team in almost all aspects.
However, I don't see them beating Scotland if they keep on playing like this. [/b]
Barbu, you should change that country flag, maybe green-white-red suits you better.
And it's obvious you didn't even bother to watch Romania's game.
Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself. Actually, I kinda feel ashamed for you already.

Well for 30 minutes Italy were comfortbake against Romania... we scoreda try and then we also had another try rightfully disallowed, but it was a good move for the try. Anyway we were in control.

However we started to get complacent and make many mistakes. Romania were allowed back in, but we came back well and finished the match off. Romania shouldnt have even been allowed back in the game. The mistakes will need to cut down against the Scots.

It's not completely out of the question for Italy to get to the Semis. They have the ability to beat the scots. If they regain some of that forward power they haven't shown in the WC so far they could beat a team from pool D on a perfect performance with lots of opposition mistakes. Not likely, but possible.

It's not completely out of the question for Italy to get to the Semis. They have the ability to beat the scots. If they regain some of that forward power they haven't shown in the WC so far they could beat a team from pool D on a perfect performance with lots of opposition mistakes. Not likely, but possible. [/b]

This will not happen. Even if we did beat the Scots... the match after is a certain loss v Argentina/Ireland or France.

Latest posts