• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jamaica should form a 7's team for the Olympics

J

jawmalawm24

Just thought because they've got the fastest men in the world why not throw a oval ball into their hands and see what they can do with it. They might not have the size like most other teams do but they've got 7 years to think about it so could probably come up with something pretty good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 7 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just thought because they've got the fastest men in the world why not throw a oval ball into their hands and see what they can do with it. They might not have the size like most other teams do but they've got 7 years to think about it so could probably come up with something pretty good.[/b]

Just hope they can play rugby better than they can bobsleigh

Well Jamaica's IRB world ranking is currently #86 in terms of XV Rugby. Perhaps the more ad-lib, more expansive style of the game would suit them?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 8 2009, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just thought because they've got the fastest men in the world why not throw a oval ball into their hands and see what they can do with it. They might not have the size like most other teams do but they've got 7 years to think about it so could probably come up with something pretty good.[/b]

Don't be so sure, they are quite big. Usain Bolt is 1.96m and Asafa Powell 1.90m tall for instance and if they adapt their training... These two might be too old by then but maybe that would be a good thing as they surely won't be competitive in athletics by then but I'm sure someone could find a couple of others. I would agree that 7s is something JAM can target for 2017. Would be interesting.

Might add Nigeria and some other Carribean nations to that list (or any country where people of West African decent are found for that matter).

Yeah, I thought about that earlier in the year. What Usain Bolt cound do on a rugby field would be very interesting. That being said not every Jamaican is Usain Bolt, they do seem to be very fast in general, and even their Olympic rejects for 100/200m sprint could make great 7's players. The one thing which would be interesting is ball skills.

Yeah, you only need to look at the impact that Dwain Chambers (league) and Nigel Walker made when they switched from athletics to Rugby!

Oh wait...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ Dec 8 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, you only need to look at the impact that Dwain Chambers (league) and Nigel Walker made when they switched from athletics to Rugby!

Oh wait...[/b]

LOL Fair enough. Still, those are only two players. If the Olympic inclusion could see interest in the sport rise in Jamaica, who knows.

I was just stirring - I actually think that there are plenty of examples where if nations shifted their sporting focus, they could potentially emerge as world powers - think of what USA could be like if a FRACTION of the budget, players and resource from American Football went into rugby...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fcukernaut @ Dec 8 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Dec 7 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just hope they can play rugby better than they can bobsleigh
[/b][/quote]Haha Cool Runnings I love that movie "Jamaica have a bobsleigh team". Would be awesome to see them compete in the 7's just to give it a go.

I think Jamaica would be champions of rugby 7s if they are payed and are taught well. 7s suits fast runners like i.e Fiji, South Africa and Kenya and Jamaica have a lot of athletes whom are quick. Rules, skills, techniques and strategies arent hard to teach and learn. Its hard to stop one fast guy in 7s because the size of the field allows him space and if your marking the fast guy he just has to run around you and then hes gone, now imagine 7 very fast athletes who know how to run elusively (side step, swerve, fend, run good lines hard) it'll be a nightmare.

I wouldnt be surprised if teams like Kenya and Jamaica began to constantly make cup finals in the future.

Latest posts