• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Just got the game

Interesting review Jacko, but I don't really agree with you at this point. I just got the game today and have been playing it for the last couple hours and I have to say I'm really struggling to get any enjoyment out of the game so far... in fact I'd go as far to say that the OPSM Aus reviewer wasn't too harsh afterall... but it's still early days, the game may still grow on me, but at this stage it's gonna be used as a trade in to get EA Rugby 06 cheaper...

Originally posted by ak47@Feb 8 2006, 09:33 AM
Good Review Lattimore :p

you forgot too mention you make a good openside flanker :bleh!:
What you've got me??? Am I any good...

Originally posted by Jacko+Feb 8 2006, 09:04 PM-->
Originally posted by ak47@Feb 8 2006, 09:33 AM
Good Review Lattimore :p

What you've got me??? Am I any good... [/b]
:huh:

<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@ Feb 8 2006, 09:33 AM

Hope that answers your question ;)

this really is a good game, at first i wasnt too sure about it (was playing in side view) and i was trying to play WCR style (passout to the wings etc) and it just didnt go well.

the graphics are awesome really and the animations are brilliant - a very smooth and pretty looking game. some of the models look like freaks (graeme rowntree is horrible :p ) and Jason robinson looks like an evil gnome :D

i find this game much better than R2005. In comparison to RL2, it's not as frustrating to play as the control is better and the player is much easier to move around and aim with.

Originally posted by Inertia@Feb 9 2006, 01:08 AM
this really is a good game, at first i wasnt too sure about it (was playing in side view) and i was trying to play WCR style (passout to the wings etc) and it just didnt go well.

the graphics are awesome really and the animations are brilliant - a very smooth and pretty looking game. some of the models look like freaks (graeme rowntree is horrible :p ) and Jason robinson looks like an evil gnome :D

i find this game much better than R2005. In comparison to RL2, it's not as frustrating to play as the control is better and the player is much easier to move around and aim with.
I'm bored of it already - funny how peoples opinions of this game are so different!

Depends what you look for in a game, how you play it, how long you play it etc.

Originally posted by jimmy44+Feb 9 2006, 12:27 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Inertia
@Feb 9 2006, 01:08 AM

the graphics are awesome really and the animations are brilliant - a very smooth and pretty looking game. some of the models look like freaks (graeme rowntree is horrible  :p ) and Jason robinson looks like an evil gnome :D

I'm bored of it already - funny how peoples opinions of this game are so different! [/b]
True. So far I don't like the game at all... But I'll give it a bit of a chance before I make my mind up completely.

I'm still going on it.

To be honest at first I didn't really like it much at all, but giving it time and sorting the offloads out, coming up with neat little attacking kicks that are like on the fly set moves (you can actually do a chip over the top of someone and catch the ball in this game) and figuring out when it's best to use the sprint button has really added longevity to this game.

Also, the bunchig that has been in every rugby game ever made seems to be minimal in this one, allowing for great counterattacking.

Yeah, exactly - sprint button is great. Gives a bit of a challenge and if used properly dosn't ruin the realism of the game.

It's also a lot longer than in WCR.

If you are running out really fast, don't use it until you have open space. Even then, just tap it over and over (you get a split second before it starts to run down) to get some distance then power it all the way when defenders start getting close.

Also, don't use it when you fend or sidestep. When you fend, the player moves reasonably quick anyway, no point in wasting your bar.
When you step, it's an animation so you can't control the speed. No point in wasting it there.

It's also a waste to use it when you're not past the gain line. Clearing from the ruck, don't use it at all. You'll just get closer to the defenders quicker giving you less time to find a gap and go or it.

Just use the sprint meter sparingly and intelligently willa add heaps to the fun factor.

exactly, but what i like is the variation in sprint lasting, for example forwards or people in from TRF in career mode don't run very fast but then again the metre fills up quickly again, if you are a good sprinter it will take longer to fill up.

Just thought you might want to see this from Simon on OPS2. Blocking my thoughts on the game.

Quote:
Not sure whether this will be the last.

I'll make it the last if you want to post more topics on the game. I've warned you before, so delaying the period between posting topics on the game won't change anything. How many locked topics does it take to sink in.

You've stated your thoughts over and over again on a game none of us here care about. If this was a Rugby forum, then you might have more people interested in what you are saying, but it seems that you personally think we want to read like ten topics on the same game. It's one thing to get people's opnions on something, but you've gone over the top with it seeing we've posted them all in the past and your still posting here eager for more. Why don't you go and find a forum dedicated to the game or at least a forum with people that want to read so much about it.

Quote:
Gameplay â€" 9/10, incredibly fun and perfect in almost every way.

You have a major bias towards this game; you can't disagree with this, as you continually post topics on it. Your review in stages contradicts it's score, and obviously you've never played another PS2 game to award it a 9/10 for gameplay.

Quote:
Lifespan â€" 9/10, you’ll want to keep playing for some time.

You should have corrected that to 'I'll want to', seeing as nobody here besides you has a care in the world for this game.

You don't participate in this forum otherwise, so why are you so set on talking about the game here when the members who use this forum aren't interested in it as much as you, or should I say at all...

So many retorical questions. I will want to play this game for a long time, but if you played it once you'll want to play it again. I do not have a biased opinion about this game, I just think it is great. I doubt this Simo person has played the game and I have played many I PS2 game and I think this is one of the best. Yes I may not like war games - they seem to complicated, but hey. OPS2 have a biased opinion towards this game cos there isn't any SH licenses, thus giving it a bad score.

I have posted a number of topics because my q's were not a'ed. Now before I wasn;t giving an opinion on this game, I just want to know more, now I give an opinion and they say because I have given my opinions in so many places I have a biased opinion??? What the?

And maybe other members aren't interested, but I am that is why I posted my thoughts, but if he bothered looking I have posted in many other topics as well.

I reckon they'll block any topic I start from now on. I'm just happy this place doesn't have that sort of biased.

Oh an I am a member of a rugby forum.

So, you just showed us a post of you getting owned?

Just do the kaftka... Let it slide...Let it slide... Theres very few things that I don't let slide... Irnoicly Los Lover is one of them... everything else I let slide. Except slides. I don't like slides unless they have water down them. But I consider them more as slips. Let it slip...Slip down the slide. Waireka Hot Pools have speedy slipslides. My favourite kind... Speed down the slippery slide of steaming sister sex at sea...

no offense and this is an honest question to jacko but r u serious?

id consider myself a rugby fan also, but u sound like a one man PR campaign for rugby challenge 2006

imo the game is awful...

1. graphics r a disaster...its 2006, not 1996 and the players look terribly rendered and the way they run is fairly comppical as well

2. lol the animations when players score is ridiculous and again poorly rendered

3.sorry but the quality of the graphics get another honrouable mention cus they r so horrible, espcially when i consdered rugby 2005 had sum fairly big improvements in that department, but this is just poor...the players look so unrealistic its an instant turn off

4.sprint bar? im assuming weve all played rugby at varying levels..personally ive played wing all my life and have never, nor ever seen sumone, who when being chased, or has made a brk will not be sprinting to their max potential..no matter wot the time in the game is...im not saying a players stamina wont decrease as the clock ticks and obviously a player cant sprint as fast in the first 10 mins as the last, BUT there is NO sprintometer which wears down....when the adrenalines pumpin and u know the line is beckoning u will bust a gut to get there no matter how tired, and will only get caught if the chasing player is faster than u

5.gameplay is too simplistic...i understand that its meant to be 'arcadey and fun' but they're suposed to be competing with ea sports, not their previous ***le WCR....rugby 2005, a simulation - admittedly a flawed one, uppped the bar with regard to how rugby is really played. ie alot of the time it is fowards pummelling around the base of rucks and mauls, freeing up space in the field and then releasing us backs to find holes for greater yardage...RC2006 just seems to basic to feel like real rugby and as such i played it in fairly brief spates for 3 days till i had to uninstall the damn thing, thinking this is a waste of my hard drive

6.on a more positive note i did find the offloading ability fairly good, although it didnt come off too often, but it was a nice addition

7. the sidestepping and barging ability was better than ea's and the hand off option was so so

theres more i cud say but won't...just to end with the fact that i respect the company behind it for tryin to create a rugby game in a serverely deplted market but i feel they wasted a great opportunity to up the ante and give ea a run for their money...ea will probably end up monopolising the market and get lazy, adding a few minor improvements every year since there will be no one pushing them

I have to agree with Simpson-Daniel on this, I was going to buy RC2006 for PC, but saw it in Blockbuster yesterday and rented it to try it first.

Glad I did, I played it for about 3 hours last night and and 2 hours tonight. It's not due back until 10pm tomorrow night, but I have had enough of it already.

It's waaaay to fast, so fast that you can barely keep up with what's happening some of the time. Seems like Swordfish wanted to create the anti-thesis to EA Rugby, it's the opposite to EA's game. Maybe they should have instead tried to implement the good features of EA's game and improve the bad features rather than just going for an "arcade" game.

EA Rugby 2005 had many faults, but it was the first rugby game I have played which felt like a real game. RC2006 is blatantly arcadey, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but you don't really feel like you are playing rugby at all.

I have not tried multiplayer, so maybe I have not tried it's full potential, but I definitely won't buy the game based upon my last 2 nights play.

It may depend on your viewpoint, coz personally I always prefer realism in my games, but I find RC2006 very similar to WCR. It's like WCR but with proper team tournaments, more modes of play and offloads. If you didn't like WCR then I don't think you'll like this.

I am not criticisising people who like the game, but I have to say that my view is that RC2006 gets 1/10 in terms of realism.

I'd suggest renting before buying.

Latest posts