• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Justin Marshall Joins Ospreys

L

loratadine

credit:bbc.co.uk

Ospreys 'in swoop for Marshall' 

Marshall asked for a transfer when the Tykes' drop was confirmed 
Justin Marshall is to join the Ospreys following Leeds' relegation from the Premiership, according to reports.
The former All Blacks scrum-half, 32, will sign for the Swansea-based outfit after rejecting an offer from Wasps, said the Daily Mail.

The paper claimed Wasps were prepared to pay Marshall around a third of the £160,000 a year he received at Leeds.

Wasps chief executive David Davies said of their failed swoop: "We did our best but it wasn't to be."

Marshall had a year to run on his two-year deal at Leeds but asked to be released after their relegation was confirmed earlier this month.

The Kiwi, who won 81 international caps, joined the Tykes at the start of last season.

He has also been linked with moves to French club Bourgoin and newly promoted Harlequins. [/b]

I cannot beleive it, Wasps want him as well as Harelquins but if he goes there it wil bea tremendous steal.

it sure would be a big coup, and as an ospreys fan i really hope they get him, and send spice back.

Spice is a good scrum hlaf though, he may not have played well but having both of them will mean that you will haev 2 very good srcum halfs

With Marshall being confirmed for the Ospreys on a 2 year deal, rumours are that the club are going to widen all their entrances over the summer.

No chance of fitting both Marshall and Henson's massively inflated heads through at the same time.

I'm sure Jason Spice is thrilled about the news...

credit:bbc.co.uk

Marshall completes Ospreys switch

Marshall asked for a transfer when the Tykes' drop was confirmed
The Ospreys have completed the signing of former All Black Justin Marshall on Tuesday on a two-year contract.
The 32-year-old arrives in Wales from Leeds, after the Tykes were relegated from the English Premiership.

Marshall, who won 81 New Zealand caps, is believed to have rejected an offer from Wasps in favour of the Ospreys.

"The Ospreys are a team who are going places and I have been very impressed with their professionalism on and off the pitch," Marshall said.

This season the Welsh regional side have taken up residence at the new 20,000-seat Liberty Stadium, which they share with football team Swansea City.

Last week a new Celtic League regular season record 15,183 fans turned up to see the Ospreys beat Welsh rivals Llanelli Scarlets 25-13.

I am a very ambitious, competitive individual

Justin Marshall

"They have a magnificent stadium, some of the best training facilities I've seen and a squad that I believe can compete with the best in Europe," Marshall added.

"I have recently visited south Wales with my wife and we are both looking forward to bringing our young family down to settle in the area."

As well as Wasps, Marshall had also been linked with moves to newly promoted Harlequins and French club Bourgoin.

"I was approached by clubs from England and France but I have been motivated by the Ospreys' ambitions," Marshall said.

"Once I had spoken to the Ospreys and seen the area and set-up with my own eyes, it was a simple decision in the end."

Marshall may not be the only new Kiwi recruit to sign for the Swansea-based team, as Waikato and Chiefs back-row Jono Gibbes is also thought to be close to joining.

Gibbes, 29, has won eight caps for New Zealand - his last against the British and Irish Lions last summer - but has fallen down the All Blacks pecking order after two injury-disrupted seasons.

Another back-row target is Filogia Tiatia, a former star with Wellington and the Hurricanes who has two All Blacks caps.

The 34-year-old has recently been playing his club rugby in Japan for Toyota Verblitz.

The list of excellent Welsh prospects at the Ospreys far outweighs any foreign input

From WO
Have your say on Scrum V

There is already a strong Kiwi influence within the Ospreys squad, with Jason Spice, Adrian Cashmore and Damian Karauna currently at the Liberty Stadium.

Spice is the incumbent at scrum-half and will contest the number nine shirt with Marshall.

The Daily Mail claimed that Wasps were prepared to pay Marshall around a third of the £160,000 a year he received at Leeds.

Wasps chief executive David Davies said of their failed swoop: "We did our best but it wasn't to be."

Marshall had a year to run on his two-year deal at Leeds but asked to be released after their relegation was confirmed earlier this month.

That could mean the Ospreys having to pay a transfer fee on top of Marshall's wages, meaning some cost-cutting elsewhere in the squad.

The Kiwi joined the Tykes at the start of last season.

"I have enjoyed my experience at Leeds immensely this year and I would like to thank the players, coaches and supporters for the way in which they have welcomed me and supported me throughout the season," Marshall said.

"I sincerely wish them a swift return to the Guinness Premiership next season.

"But I am a very ambitious, competitive individual and I look forward to furthering my ambitions with the Ospreys."

Well, Ospreys can't go down, so he won't have to jump ship again...

The transfer fee could be costly IMO, but his experience should bring something to the Ospreys.

hes not overrated, you dont get 81 caps for the allblacks by being overrated.

He was a good player once, but he's a disloyal, egotistical prick now who's done f*** all this season.

When I was in NZ last summer there seemed to be a big North-South divide over Marshall. People on South Island seemed to love him, but most on the North thought he was an utter tool.

All Marshall has really done is prove that he's over here for the pay cheque first and foremost. He doesn't really seem to care where he's playing (hence going to Leeds in the first place).

He thinks hes a footballer and is there for the money. He might disrubte the harmony of the team tho.

However he is a good player and now Ospreys will have 2 very good scrum halfs. Should be interesting.

Originally posted by Boy@Apr 26 2006, 09:28 AM
When I was in NZ last summer there seemed to be a big North-South divide over Marshall. People on South Island seemed to love him, but most on the North thought he was an utter tool.

All Marshall has really done is prove that he's over here for the pay cheque first and foremost. He doesn't really seem to care where he's playing (hence going to Leeds in the first place).
Why the do you think New Zealanders go overseas to play in places like England and Wales? The Weather?

Originally posted by Ripper+Apr 26 2006, 08:28 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Boy
@Apr 26 2006, 09:28 AM

Why the do you think New Zealanders go overseas to play in places like England and Wales? The Weather? [/b]
Proberby the prospect of an exciting, evenly matched, on-the up league like the GP rather than a 2 teams dominate agains a dozen **** sides, a-la the Super 14.

Plus, the prospect of them playing for the national team is f***ed as it's full of Fijians and Tongans.

Latest posts