• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kangaroos v Wallabies?

V

Vambo

SECRET negotiations are taking place to secure an historic Kangaroos versus Wallabies match next October.

The game has been booked for ANZ Stadium, where officials have labelled it the biggest event since the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

The negotiations are in their infancy and their eventual success ultimately will depend on the delicate relationship between the Australian Rugby Union and the Australian Rugby League.

However the first dramatic chink in the seemingly impenetrable barrier that has separated the codes for 100 years has been made.

:eek:

Here

Awesome idea, but could someone explain how this game would be played in terms of rules and officiating? Would it be one half league with 13, one half union with 15? Sorry I haven't read the link so... :/

I've seen three cross code games in my life, four if you include the one I played in.

1) Wigan vs. Bath. Played at Maine Road, 80 minutes, league rules.
2) Bath vs. Wigan. Played at The Rec the week later, union rules.
3) Saints vs. Sale. Played at Knowsley Road. 40 minutes union, 37 minutes league (incompetent ref.)

So make of that what you will.

Like the games mentioned above it would be a farce, the games have too many differences in the rules and laws for it to be a fair contest. Waste of time in my eyes.

Reading further it seems the game will be set up as a charity match for various childrens hospitals rather than some emerging plan involving the two codes

I imagine its gonna be a game of mixed rules not two halves with two different rules - imagine the league players trying to scrum and contest in lineouts!

Would be a huge rating winner imo.

I don't think it will happen since there are too many politics on both sides. hybrid 12 sounds like 12 players a side plus subs which could be interesting I guess. the rules will be a major issue too, lineouts will have to be cut since they never happen in league and then there is the issue of rucks v play the balls obviously one favours the union guys while the other league. I can see there being more rules that favour the league guys than union so even if it does go ahead it will probably just end up being another cross code farce of a game.

Preliminary proposed rules:

• 12 man teams with no breakaways and no lock, constituting a five-man scrum
  • Unlimited tackle
  • No lifting in lineouts
  • In own half - Play the ball
  • In opposition half - Rucks and mauls
  • No kicking out on the full from own 22m

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Nov 24 2008, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

• Unlimited tackle
  • No lifting in lineouts
  • In own half - Play the ball
  • In opposition half - Rucks and mauls
[/b]

That will get very confusing.

The only time I can remember cross code being a success is I think Bradford did well in a 7s tournament...

course time was that league was a long way ahead in terms of attack and defence play but i think things have evened out now.

Smells like bullshit...

ARU quashes hybrid match rumours

The Australian Rugby Union said it has no interest in a proposed game between the Wallabies and Kangaroos in Sydney next year.

A report in Monday's Daily Telegraph said the game had been booked for an October date at ANZ Stadium but the ARU has denied any interest in the game.

The Telegraph's story mainly quoted promoter Phil Franks and a statement from the ARU said they had no interest in Franks' plan.

"Australian Rugby Union has no interest in a promoters plan to stage a Wallabies v Kangaroos match under hybrid laws in Sydney next October," the statement read.

"The ARU has not been approached with the idea and has no intention of altering the existing 2009 program to entertain the proposal as floated in the media this morning."

An ARU spokesman said even if the organisation was interested in a cross-code match against the Kangaroos it wouldn't need a "middle-man" to organise the fixture.

Trust me if it is going to make the ARU and the ARL money they defiantly won't be ruling it out. It would be a massive commercial success.

I'd personally like to see it go ahead.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Nov 24 2008, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

• Unlimited tackle
  • No lifting in lineouts

[*]In own half - Play the ball
    [*]In opposition half - Rucks and mauls
[/b]

Now those two in particular sound very interesting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 27 2008, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (melon @ Nov 24 2008, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Unlimited tackle
  • No lifting in lineouts

[*]In own half - Play the ball
    [*]In opposition half - Rucks and mauls
[/b]

Now those two in particular sound very interesting.
[/b][/quote]

No lifting in the lineouts would make some peeps happy, as would the unlimited tackle.

Latest posts