• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kiwi firm turns Jackass into video game

W

woosaah

Kiwi firm turns Jackass into video game
22 May 2006 
By REUBEN SCHWARZ

Jackass, the American TV series featuring young men doing dangerous, disgusting and bizarre stunts, is being made into a video game by a Wellington games studio.

Sidhe Interactive, based in Willis St, is best known for its rugby league games and the puzzle-racing game GripShift for Sony's PlayStation Portable handheld console.

But Jackass: The Game could change all that. The series had a three-year run on MTV and quickly became a cultural phenomenon.

Since being cancelled in 2002, the show has been kept alive in reruns, including on New Zealand music station C4.

A 2002 movie based on the series grossed more than $NZ95 million and a sequel is expected out later this year.

Sidhe expects the new game will be its best-selling ***le yet, but managing director Mario Wynands said it would have "slapstick violence" rather than blood and gore.

Jackass director Jeff Tremaine helped design the game's levels, which include driving a golf cart wildly across a mini-golf course, rolling down a hill in a garbage can, and a chariot-style race in shopping trolleys.

The TV series attracted widespread criticism that it encouraged young men to imitate its often dangerous stunts.

Mr Wynands said it was possible the game would also become a target of conservatives in the United States too.

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3675495a1860,00.html

cricky good stuff mario

if they do this well it should sell well...

thats a big IF

Originally posted by Wally@May 22 2006, 10:43 AM
They won't do it well. This shouldn't be a game.
Exactly. Everyone they have should be concentrating on not F**king up their next version RL.

I really cant see how this game would be done??! but if it is done well then good on ya!

How about they concentrate on actually finishing the games they already have in development? Like Melbourne Cup Challenge for instance?

They'll half-ass it up. Then they can turn around and say "thats what makes it such a jackass game".

I guess this means the end for RL3. I hope that sidhe realise that the international consumers who buy this wont be nearly as forgiving as league fans.

Originally posted by CeeJay@May 22 2006, 01:17 PM
I guess this means the end for RL3. I hope that sidhe realise that the international consumers who buy this wont be nearly as forgiving as league fans.

Agreed. Sure they copped a bit of a roasting here, but Jackass better be an A grade game because with extreme this and extreme that crap being released all over xbox and ps2, they'll get lost in the crowd of Lame Idea City.

:blink:

its going to be sh*thouse

and

add a year onto the release date

Sidhes PC clocks say 2005.

oh and the budget

all $3.00 of it

If they were gonna make a Jackass game, they should have done it years ago when jackass was popular. Sidhe should stick with RL, it is their biggest regular payday, they hav established a fan base, and they are surely not to far off getting it right, but ALL their time needs to be spent on it if they are going to get it right.Theyll being going down he tubes if they put all their eggs in the jackass basket.

Well sidhe have shown that even if they make a poor league game they'll still sell a lot of them

Exactly, so why switch to jackass, its old news, and if it sucks no one will ever buy it again, not like league.

I just ghope they dont make a game as bad as American Chopper the game. I cant believe they let them even release that!

to EVOL - I really would like your sig to be true but, isnt that a bit premature?

sidhe do have over 50 staff now. it is not uncommon for a dev studio to work on more than one ***le at once. I am fairly certian that a third league game will be made as the first 2 sold quite well.

this game will proabbly sell well too if it is done right. jackass I don't think is dead yet either. there will be demand for this game without doubt.

This will be ****, like RL2. Yay, we can drive a golf cart through a golf course. OH THE EXCITEMENT. As long as I can somehow kick that ****** Steve-O's arse I will probably at least rent it.

The fact SIDHE are doing it kind of shows how much demand there was to make such a game, i'm sure if there was serious demand a deent developer/publisher would've snapped up the rights.

The thing is, they are getting asked by the publishers (the same guys that published Gripshift I think) to develop this game. This means that the publishers believe there is a market, and that Sidhe are being hired to do it. Its not as if they just woke up and said, "Hey, let's make a Jackass game"...

I see potential in it as well though. If done correctly, it could become a great party game. The best thing they can do is to make it very party-game based. Filled with fun factor. It would have to be fun first and foremost, otherwise they will never sell, not necessarily a long or deep game, but with great multiplayer, and with graphics decent enough to disgust you. Hell, I'd play that. Swimming round in an oxidation pond.
Also, if they have a substantial ammount of Jackass footage to go with it, it would be alright, and add quite a bit if you get bored. Never been a huge Jackass fan myself, but I respect what they do.... HA!! No, I don't, but it could be a very funny game if they make it right.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@May 22 2006, 08:22 PM
We could always give them a chance, guys?
I somehow doubt that will be happening anytime soon. sidhe are based soley on rl 2 and that game only.

it doesn't matter that gripshift is one of the best psp ***les out there at the moment. people overlook that because of rl 2.

red mile entertainment the guys sidhe are making the game for aren't exactly small fry either. they published heroes of the pacific and signed a publishing agreement with sony online entertainment. I somehow doubt sony would pick some nothing developer for one of their games.

Originally posted by esoj+May 22 2006, 09:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@May 22 2006, 08:22 PM
We could always give them a chance, guys?
I somehow doubt that will be happening anytime soon. sidhe are based soley on rl 2 and that game only.

it doesn't matter that gripshift is one of the best psp ***les out there at the moment. people overlook that because of rl 2.

red mile entertainment the guys sidhe are making the game for aren't exactly small fry either. they published heroes of the pacific and signed a publishing agreement with sony online entertainment. I somehow doubt sony would pick some nothing developer for one of their games. [/b]
Exactly. Gripshift got decent reviews all round. At last years E3, IGN were very impressed with it and gave it the wildcard in the best of show... Only about 5 or 6 games were mentioned. I haven't played it myself, but it shows that they do have enough talent to make a decent game. I think they'd want to make this game as it would put them even further on the map, and adds something else to their CV... If they make a decent go of it... Meaning they'd get even better and bigger jobs.

Thing you have to remember, it's a business, and potentially, this could be a better move. I think they will still make RL3 though.

Latest posts