• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kiwis Squad named for the RLWC

^Agreed. I've always thought Khoder is the bigger issue - it seems that it's taking advantage of whatwe hear about Sonny being a good guy. Maybe SBW's too trusting /naive/laid back - enough for a character like Khoder to take over?

Tis might have been implied in ur post but lets not forget also that SBW is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

so it turns out he had planned to take a holiday but since the final hes decided he does want to be involved.

I personally can actually understand that.

I mean hes not like any other player in the fact that he played a full super season including finals and winning the final, test matches for the AB's, then a season in Japan before a training camp and boxing fight then straight into a full NRL season again including going through the whole finals series again with basically no down time at all - winning the final.

kinda puts things in perspective.

Id challenge anyone to find an athelete who has done anything similar to a similar level and had that much success. I doubt anything like that has ever been done.

so it turns out he had planned to take a holiday but since the final hes decided he does want to be involved.

I personally can actually understand that.

I mean hes not like any other player in the fact that he played a full super season including finals and winning the final, test matches for the AB's, then a season in Japan before a training camp and boxing fight then straight into a full NRL season again including going through the whole finals series again with basically no down time at all - winning the final.

kinda puts things in perspective.

Id challenge anyone to find an athelete who has done anything similar to a similar level and had that much success. I doubt anything like that has ever been done.
I'm glad he's come out and explained. Makes sense I guess. Here are his comments:
"After a few tough seasons topped with an amazing one with the boys at the Roosters, I was then faced with the opportunity to have a long awaited break and go on holiday with my family. "Without thinking the whole situation through thoroughly, I eagerly jumped at the chance to chill out and rest.
"After having some time to really think about how much representing my country means to me, I decided to then put my name forward for selection.
"Now I know the squad's already picked and I understand if I can't be a part of it, but I'm here and ready to help the brothers if they want me."

It's a shame he didn't have the foresight to think it through a little quicker (like 8 hours quicker) but anyway.

Good luck to him and the Kiwis!

official word, SBW has replaced Tohu Harris in the Kiwi squad for the world cup

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9262490/Tohu-Harris-makes-way-for-SBW-in-Kiwis-squad

Fantastic to see Sonny in there. I wish he played for the Samoans but there was never any rumours of that happening.

You gotta feel for the rookie Tohu Harris whos gone about his work steadily and has impressed many. I think this may fuel the fire for Tohu to really put his hand up for the Kiwi jersey next year as he's still young. It is a big ask for a rookie player to perform at the international level but considering what you would expect Harris to play like judging from his games with the Storm, you'd find he wont let anyone down as he's a basic hardworking forward with none of the shenanigans you would get with forwards like Pritchard and Sonny.

Sonny will bring a lot to the Kiwi camp on and off the field. They're all professionals but with Sonny there I think brings an aura to their camp which I'd only imagine to be positive.

Compared to Harris, Sonny offers a lot more..obviously offloads, experience, running and sound defence. His D has been quite unusually sketchy lately (some may beg to differ) but Im sure it will be fine as it was with the last few Roosters games that he played in.

At this time, I'd pick Sonny over Tohu. I think it was a very hard decision for Kearney to turn down Sonny, something some people who are furious at Kearney should consider. I mean how do you pick Tohu over Sonnys form after looking at both players season overall??..

Last edited:
At this time, I'd pick Sonny over Tohu. I think it was a very hard decision for Kearney to turn down Sonny, something some people who are furious at Kearney should consider. I mean how do you pick Tohu over Sonnys form after looking at both players season overall??..

You don't. You pick the player who made themselves avalible during the time you needed to make yourself, and not change your mind when a guy who chose not to be avalible because he wanted a rest - changes his whims. I'd potentially understand putting Williams as an injury option - but to take away the chance for a kid to represent his country because the other guy was reminded that he wanted to is criminal - and I think at the heart of what I hate most about SBW and - more importantly - the people who are willing to throw the loyal guys under the bus in order to get him for a year.

You don't. You pick the player who made themselves avalible during the time you needed to make yourself, and not change your mind when a guy who chose not to be avalible because he wanted a rest - changes his whims. I'd potentially understand putting Williams as an injury option - but to take away the chance for a kid to represent his country because the other guy was reminded that he wanted to is criminal - and I think at the heart of what I hate most about SBW and - more importantly - the people who are willing to throw the loyal guys under the bus in order to get him for a year.

Well Stephen Kearney did. Everyone must remember Stephen Kearney is the Kiwis coach and not Sonny. Sonny didn't pick himself into the Kiwis. You got to pick the best available and that's what Kearneys done. All the other arguments will be in vein cos come World Cup time everyone will be watching Sonny play for the Kiwis.

Sonny Bill Williams needs the nickname "180" that much is for certain. It's good for the tournament though.

Latest posts