• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Knock-out phase

Eng v Aus 5 min
Anyone ever heard of a scrum being called back because it rocks a little before going forwards?
Not "that's gone 90*" but "loosehead got a drive on before the tight head, then youy straightened the drive; so we';ll have to go again"

ETA: And eventually, England score a push-over try against Australia; all feels right with the world.

Decent enough win conditions dire for both, Ref had not her best game but that was for both sides but obviously effected the dominant team more.
Onwards to tougher matches now.

Decent enough win conditions dire for both, Ref had not her best game but that was for both sides but obviously effected the dominant team more.
Onwards to tougher matches now.
Huge understatement there IMO - she was pretty terrible; as you say, not in a way that favoured either side (beyond straight dominance); but that was a frank bad display.

On the match itself, England did what we needed to, played the weather, played the opposition, and didn't let ourselves get frustrated by the ref.
Job done - on to the next one.

And dammit - my recording for Can v USA has failed - ITV have stopped allowing smart TVs to use ITV Hub; and ITV Hub on the 'pooter doesn't want to show QF4...

ETA: ITV Hub ******* me off - look at the "Sports" category on ITV Hub, and out of 45 options, the WRWC is option 35, and it's 1 single highlights programme!
Behind such highlights as lots of Football from the 1980s and 1990s, mens' rugby from 2016 a documentary on Irish cycling, ice skating, womens' wrestling etc etc

Last edited:
Can v USA
29 min.
Ref and TMO disagree on a knock-on on the maul

For me, it goes back off the chest, then forwards off the thigh (IIRC a kick has to be below the knee, hence tap-and-go off the knee isn't allowed) - so it is a knock-on.
More to the point though, the ball then hits the foot of a player in front of USA2, so offside rather than play-on even if it does count as kicked forwards.

QF4 46 min
That's red for me. Upright tackle, no dip or step from the ball carrier, and the tackler is coming forwards into and through the tackle.

Not sure how the ball carrier moving fast is a mitigation for the tackler.

Gotta hope the weather is dry for the black ferns upcoming game
I'll go against the grain here, I think torrential rain like earlier would favour NZ more than France.
South of France just doesn't get rain like that, whilst IMO the NZ handling skills are superior.
Yes, rain tends to favour the more forward dominated approach, but in this case, and for torrential rain, I think handling skills, and being used to that weather, overcomes that.

Can v USA
29 min.
Ref and TMO disagree on a knock-on on the maul

For me, it goes back off the chest, then forwards off the thigh (IIRC a kick has to be below the knee, hence tap-and-go off the knee isn't allowed) - so it is a knock-on.
More to the point though, the ball then hits the foot of a player in front of USA2, so offside rather than play-on even if it does count as kicked forwards.
You are reading stuff into the laws that don't exist. Knock on has to be off the "hand or arm". It's in the definitions. There are things that are neither a kick or knock on.

You are reading stuff into the laws that don't exist. Knock on has to be off the "hand or arm". It's in the definitions. There are things that are neither a kick or knock on.
Fair enough, thank you.
Just the accidental offside then.

Meh.
Written communication doesn't always come off the way it's intended - hopefully we're all mature enough to accept that.

QF4 46 min
That's red for me. Upright tackle, no dip or step from the ball carrier, and the tackler is coming forwards into and through the tackle.

Not sure how the ball carrier moving fast is a mitigation for the tackler.

I'll go against the grain here, I think torrential rain like earlier would favour NZ more than France.
South of France just doesn't get rain like that, whilst IMO the NZ handling skills are superior.
Yes, rain tends to favour the more forward dominated approach, but in this case, and for torrential rain, I think handling skills, and being used to that weather, overcomes that.
Interesting point, but france has a kicking game, we don't, and trying to play our running gam in the wet will lead to a lot of errors. Are our forwards capable of contesting with france? Very hard to know. We do have mike cron as scrum coach which no doubt helps, whether that enough in the scrums. Can we defend a French maul? No idea, but we conceded a lot of mail tries last year to france and england and have been working hard on it. It will mostly come down to not giving away penalties I. Our half, which will come down to how well we can secure our breakdowns when attacking from inside our half as we do, and how strict the ref is on coming in from the side, because we do tend to come in a bit from the side quite a lot and some refs don't penalise it at all but other refs could penalise it a lot. Personally I think it's ok, but I'm biased because I think you should be able to come in from the side a bit.

I do think this quarterfinal will be the most interesting game of the tournament. Really no one knows who is going to win. Last year our fitness and strength was just nowhere near good enough to compete with france. This year we've had full time professionals, but it's hard to know how far we've come. We have still looked tired at the back end of all our games so far. But we have a pretty powerful bench

Latest posts