• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Larkham backs Lealiifano to bounce back and shine

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Former Brumby and Wallaby legend Stephen Larkham has given his backing for Christian Lealiifano to rebound from a mixed start to the Super14 season and prove he deserves the No10 jersey.

Lealiifano's game came under the spotlight following the Brumbies loss to the Force at Canberra Stadium on the weekend.

The 21-year-old's kicking game has received the most criticism while his ability to successfully direct the back line around the field has also come under fire.

Larkham however has been quick to defend Lealiifano and says that he had the ability and confidence to be one of the competition's leading flyhalves.

''Look at his kicking game during the Highlanders match two weeks ago, he's definitely got it,'' Larkham told The Canberra Times.

''His running game is on song and when he puts everything together he'll be very dangerous because he's a very talented player.

''Confidence can be an issue, no doubt, but he's definitely come a long way since I was at the club.

"He's put on size, his defence has improved a lot ... and I think he's got the goods to be a regular member of the Brumbies team.''

''It's only the second year of the ELVs [Experimental Law Variations] and everyone is still experimenting to an extent, him included.

"Everyone learns on a weekly basis, it doesn't matter how experienced you are so with time I've got no doubt Christian has the makings of a very good flyhalf.''

The veteran of 116 Brumbies caps and 102 Tests for the Wallabies praised the Brumbies forwards, who dominated their Western Force opponents in every aspect of the match.

It was the back line's performance that disappointed Larkham, who claimed there was a lot of work to be done during the bye week this week to ensure an improved performance against the Waratahs.

''It was a frustrating night for the backs, that was probably fairly obvious for everyone who watched the game and especially for those who were involved in the game,'' Larkham said.

''They struggled for quick ball which really hurt their chances of attack. The back line we've got is full of quality players, it's one of the best Australian back lines in the competition, they just need a little front-foot ball, a bit more quick ball and they'll click.''[/b]
Super14.com

Well Christian looks like a talented player, he might just need some time to settle into the fly-half position, and lets face it when you come up against Matt Giteau its hard to "shine" as he takes up all the spotlight :D .I say he should get more chances to prove himself and if he turns out to be really bad they will just have to wait to untill Giteau arrives

Latest posts