• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Latham vs Cullen

I've enjoyed reading both sides of this debate...

I would tend to agree with the call that Latham is the better defensive player, he's a hard man to beat in the last line! But I can't help but feel that his outstanding Super rugby form never fully crossed over into the test arena. Yes he's had some amazing moments of magic just like everyone else... but he's also botched up in crucial situations more than most fullbacks at international level.

Therefore Cullen to take it... over the 10-12 years I've been watching Rugby after converting from League he has been the more consistent performer of the two at all levels of the game, although he's been known for a good brain explosion or two as well (Hurricanes vs Tahs when he went over untouched and tried to ground the ball one handed and lost it cold anyone?)

Cullen was the best full back in the world.
I just can't believe that John Mitchell dropped him.

Its a shame, because he's retired now.

Some here are talking about Cullen like he was one dimensional...and lacked skill as an all around player...
Thats not the case... Cullen was Balanced, Fast, Strong(pound for pound the strongest player tested in Hurricanes and All Blacks camps), a great defender and had a good kicking game...
His sheer brilliance won many a game for province and country..both on defense and offence...i have videotapes of many of his provincial games and most of the tests he played in .... at the top of his game and injury free he was unstoppable....his timing in support, power, blistering acceleration, speed and the ability to swerve and step off either foot at pace left defenders stranded......
also his positional play and fearlessness in defense was without par...he pulled off some of the greatest try saving tackles i have ever seen...and one on one he always got his man...his pace allowed him to show anyone the sideline and bundle them over.
I even played against Cristian Cullen at high school and got smoked by him more times than i care to remember.....

Growing up i loved watching Serge Blanco...he was a great player and had many awesome qualitys...also Latham is a great player....but CC at his best was unrivalled....and is the G.O.A.T

Some here are talking about Cullen like he was one dimensional...and lacked skill as an all around player...
Thats not the case... Cullen was Balanced, Fast, Strong(pound for pound the strongest player tested in Hurricanes and All Blacks camps), a great defender and had a good kicking game...
His sheer brilliance won many a game for province and country..both on defense and offence...i have videotapes of many of his provincial games and most of the tests he played in .... at the top of his game and injury free he was unstoppable....his timing in support, power, blistering acceleration, speed and the ability to swerve and step off either foot at pace left defenders stranded......
also his positional play and fearlessness in defense was without par...he pulled off some of the greatest try saving tackles i have ever seen...and one on one he always got his man...his pace allowed him to show anyone the sideline and bundle them over.
I even played against Cristian Cullen at high school and got smoked by him more times than i care to remember.....

Growing up i loved watching Serge Blanco...he was a great player and had many awesome qualitys...also Latham is a great player....but CC at his best was unrivalled....and is the G.O.A.T [/b]

The Truth^^^^^

Latest posts