• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League to Union advice.

R

Redox

Hello good folk of The Rugby Forum.

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I'm 25 and off to Uni in London in september. Now, they only appear to play league down south, not that I have an issue with it, I've always wanted to play union as it looks so much more fun for forwards.

I'm 6'2" and 17 stone. I intend to try and put a bit more weight on and hit the gym much harder as I realise the physicality involved in playing as a union forward.

I have no experience in real scrumming or scrimmaging but have watched union all of my life so am reasonably well up with the rules and have an idea of what I need to be doing in terms of the breakdown and in mauls. I'm sure that and scrumming can come in training.

My concern really is what to do during free play and not involved in a ruck. What exactly is the aim for a prop (although perhaps 2nd row might be a better bet, I'm not sure I'm tall or fast enough!) Should they aim to be at the breakdown every single time? It's not often I see a union prop being asked to nail it through the middle to gain a bit of ground.

I would really appreciate any advice or tips on the matter in hand. In the mean time I'll continue doing nothing but watching exactly what props are doing in the six nations!

Thanks

Red

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redox @ Feb 17 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello good folk of The Rugby Forum.

I was hoping for a bit of advice. I'm 25 and off to Uni in London in september. Now, they only appear to play league down south, not that I have an issue with it, I've always wanted to play union as it looks so much more fun for forwards.

I'm 6'2" and 17 stone. I intend to try and put a bit more weight on and hit the gym much harder as I realise the physicality involved in playing as a union forward.

I have no experience in real scrumming or scrimmaging but have watched union all of my life so am reasonably well up with the rules and have an idea of what I need to be doing in terms of the breakdown and in mauls. I'm sure that and scrumming can come in training.

My concern really is what to do during free play and not involved in a ruck. What exactly is the aim for a prop (although perhaps 2nd row might be a better bet, I'm not sure I'm tall or fast enough!) Should they aim to be at the breakdown every single time? It's not often I see a union prop being asked to nail it through the middle to gain a bit of ground.

I would really appreciate any advice or tips on the matter in hand. In the mean time I'll continue doing nothing but watching exactly what props are doing in the six nations!

Thanks

Red[/b]

Welcome.

I'd reccommend anyone who plays prop in League to play number 8 in Union. The position requires ball-carrying ability, handling and tackling... which you'll probably have if you've been a forward in league.

Then, just brush up on the rules surrounding the ruck, get in new habits when you're tackled/ make a tackle, and you should be fine.

Latest posts