• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The ruck rule needs to be modified

Karel Gaman

Academy Player
Housenky zpomalují průběh hry, pravidlo rucku je třeba změnit, aby se zabránilo ostatním hráčům připojit se k rucku po vytvoření rucku.

However I'd like to go further.

Problem 1. So many penalties won at the breakdown are incorrectly given.
Problem 2. Far too often the defender wins a penalty despite having made contact with ground first
Problem 3. A correct penalty on the half way line can result in an attacking lineout on the 5m line, while if the decision is wrong the line could end up on the opposing 5m line. A swing of 90m for very marginal, often incorrect, calls.
Problem 4. Why, oh why, in this day and age are the laws encouraging defenders to go over the tackled player head first? As schoolboys we were always taught to lead with the shoulder. But if your intention is to get your hands on the balls in order to kill it, biology ensures you must lead with the head.

So I offer the following solutions.

Solution A. Make the breakdown area contested, like it always used to be. This will encourage more defenders to join freeing up space for more attacking play.

Given that the authorities will never go for that solution,
Solution B. Make all infringements at the breakdown free-kicks rather than penalties. A less severe penalty for marginal, often incorrect calls. But opting for a scrum is not allowed.

Given that the authorities are unlikely to go for that I offer
Solution C. Ensure any penalty decision at the breakdown is the correct one. Use the TMO every time. The sanction is too harsh if it not going to be called correctly.

Last edited:
Housenky zpomalují průběh hry, pravidlo rucku je třeba změnit, aby se zabránilo ostatním hráčům připojit se k rucku po vytvoření rucku.
I put this through google translate for Czech to English and it came up with this:

Caterpillars slow down the game, the ruck rule needs to be changed to prevent other players from joining the ruck after the ruck is made.
😀. Haven't seen too many caterpillars 🐛 playing to be fair. 🤔

Latest posts