• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lelia Masaga

I've heard is defence is quite weak. Anyway, tis a bit close to the world cup at this stage for new players to breaking into the national setups.New Zealnad will have about 15 games before the world cup. I just don't know if there is time to get all the now boys sufficant experiance to have faith in them for a WC. But I guess sometimes risks have to be taken.

Anyway he's a great runner.

Him and Hosea have been the two best wingers from New Zealand the last two seasons, at least in terms of try scoring and running. Too bad Henry would rather go with the safe option, however if the breakdown rules for the WC are the same as in the Super 14, I'd say both of them have a very good chance.

i think he could be in the AB's but still has to prove himself, he's fast and a strong runner, but in the past he has often made mistakes.

But right now the player to watch is Crusaders winger Zack Guilford, he's a future star.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Mar 1 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe so, but I know who I'd rather have on my team...[/b]
Spot on. Masage reminds me of Christian Cullen or Joe Rokocoko in there prime. Exciting, remarkable and can score tries that wouldn't seem possible to others (Hosea Gear also fits in here). Guildford reminds me of Howlett. Fast, solid and bound to finish off tries, reliable in all situations, however he isn't going to turn a team inside out and score something amazing, he'll essentially just be the last pass before the try, which that is a good trait and he is a very talented footballer for that. But out of the positions in rugby, where I feel a certain risk should be taken for that extra bit of magic, it's the wing. It's also important to note that Masaga is only 23-24, so he's still got a big future.

Between Jane, Guildford, Sivivatu, Masaga and Gear NZ can't really go wrong. It all depends on the applications of the laws. Jane and Guildford would be my picks if laws are applied the same as in 2009 at test level but if not, the other three are probably better options as you seek to retain posession and run it. Personally, I prefer the more complete wingers but all 5 are quality finishers and would walk into any other natioanl team.

Might be a good idea to have a balance. It also depends on who the fullback is.

Jane is too slow for a winger. Yes he has good ability and all, but i believe in faster wingers first and foremost. I think he is putting his foot down as a 15, and should start there ahead of Mils...

Guildford is doing pretty well, and i have always rated Masaga. That's my pick for the back 3 so far. I don't think Gear is quite up there in terms of test rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Mar 1 2010, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jane is too slow for a winger. Yes he has good ability and all, but i believe in faster wingers first and foremost. I think he is putting his foot down as a 15, and should start there ahead of Mils...

Guildford is doing pretty well, and i have always rated Masaga. That's my pick for the back 3 so far. I don't think Gear is quite up there in terms of test rugby.[/b]
I have to agree with you on Jane. It's not so much he can't be useful as a winger, as the skill he has seems to compensate for raw pace, however he is better suited as a fullback and if he dosn't get a start ahead of Mils, he should at least get a permanent spot on the bench as a cover for wing and fullback. I'm hoping Joe Rokocoko has an amazing turn-a-round however I think I'm ganna be unlucky in that regard. Lelia Masaga, Hosea Gear, Zac Guildford, Sitivini Sivivatu, Cory Jane and Joe Rokocoko...hard for anyone to pick, nice problem to have though. I just hope Ben Smith isn't in the squad. He may be a good player, but he is not in the same league as the others.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I don't think Gear is quite up there in terms of test rugby.[/b]
The problem is he has never been given a chance to prove it. What appearences he has made, he has had less then 30min on the field and touched the ball 5 times in dead end positions. From the Super 14 and Air New Zealand Cup he has dominated and shrugs off 4-5 tackles every run and seem to all ways cause danger. I'd say he is very over rated. However, keep an eye out for him during Hurricanes games and I'd think you'd come around ;).

i've noticed when it comes to the all blacks, wingers don't do as well, they hardly get any ball and when they do they run into touch, except for Sivivatu of course who always plays well for the ab's :p though he has gotten fat this season.

but thats what happened with Hosea Gear, he plays so well for the Hurricanes and Wellington, but when he never did anything special for the AB's suddenly he gets dropped. i think with Masaga he also just finishes off tries, i've never seen him turn a game around either. i hope Guilford can prove himself to be more though, he already has great defence and has just as much speed as Masaga

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muzzy @ Mar 2 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i've noticed when it comes to the all blacks, wingers don't do as well, they hardly get any ball and when they do they run into touch, except for Sivivatu of course who always plays well for the ab's :p though he has gotten fat this season.

but thats what happened with Hosea Gear, he plays so well for the Hurricanes and Wellington, but when he never did anything special for the AB's suddenly he gets dropped. i think with Masaga he also just finishes off tries, i've never seen him turn a game around either. i hope Guilford can prove himself to be more though, he already has great defence and has just as much speed as Masaga[/b]

What, have you never seen him play before or something?

The way I look at it is what wingers do I hate too see lined up against the Springboks. With Masaga, good runner that he is, I would actualy be relieved. Same with Rock. Guys that I would be nervous about: Jane (even without blistering pace), Sivivatu and Gear in that order. Mills too good too leave out and Siv and Gear too similar (runners not footballers) while Jane complements Mills. NZ has such great options for the backline its insane. Good thing we have the forwards to dominate if PdV makes the right selections and a better scrumhalf. Can't see Aus or the NH teams consistantly worrying the Blacks and Boks in the near future.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Mar 2 2010, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muzzy @ Mar 2 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but thats what happened with Hosea Gear, he plays so well for the Hurricanes and Wellington, but when he never did anything special for the AB's suddenly he gets dropped. i think with Masaga he also just finishes off tries, i've never seen him turn a game around either. i hope Guilford can prove himself to be more though, he already has great defence and has just as much speed as Masaga[/b]

What, have you never seen him play before or something?
[/b][/quote]

I have to agree. Guildford nowhere near the pure defence beating running of Gear, Sivi or Masaga nor the skills of Jane. Falls into the same category as David Smith, Rene Ranger and on current form, Rokocoko for me; good but not an All Black.

Why did Roko get so ****? He was a 'revelation' not too long ago and people were saying he is better than Habana (LOL). But seriously though, he was brilliant! What happened? Injury?

Latest posts