• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lineouts

J

jimmy44

Is it possible to win a lineout against the head versus the AI? I find the AI does it regularly to me but I can't seem tom pull it off. Does anyone have any tips??

Cheers

I seem to have better luck stealing the ball at the front with better lineout jumpers, The timing I use is just anticipate when they are likely to throw and jump when they do, well thats how I get it most

I think it depends on the stats of your second rows. I hardly ever used to be able to steal any, but having recently aquired Martin Johnson I find that if timed correctly stealing the ball is much more succesful.

the default locks in world league are just pure pants, especially the guy who jumps at 2. I call him mister invisible cos he never shows up around the pitch. At least Crossland arrives at rucks and makes himself available for the pick and go. I can't even remember the other guy's name he's so anonymous for me. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've taken one of the opposition throws against the AI, but that was more luck than judgement.

I think that was when I was playing as New Zealand. Must be, cos all the other games I've played except one have been as Wales - and we know that they're sh*t at lineouts!!!
<

I've been playing as Bath and England and can never win a lineout against the head. Even when my timing is spot on it doesn't work. Its cr$p because it makes the benefits of tactical kicking void. The game seems to encourage you to run the ball from every part of the pitch which is v one dimentional, much like league!

Any other tips on winning lineouts gainst the head would be great!

Cheers

Usually the IA have a predifined pattern when it comes to throwing lineout
if you manage to see it, you'll be able to steal more balls.

If, on the first lineout, the IA throws on 1st, there's a great chance the next will be on second (it's not 100%, but there's a great chance).
Just try to get the timing on the first two lineouts and try to steal on the 3rd and after.

On you're own throws, it goes down the same way.
Usually if you throw on 1st on you're first throw, the IA will tend to jump on 2nd the next lineout, so try to mix your throws and you won't lose that many balls .
i usually use patterns like 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 and so on.........

Then again, it's not exact science here but some stuff i've noticed while playing.
not a 100% garanteed formula.

i still haven't hit a jumper at the back of the lineout yet. Sometimes I just don't bother trying to win it, just throwing long and gambling 50/50 that my backrow or flyhalf will gather it.

The AI has scored off the back of the lineout against me. Seems to me that if you do hit your jumper at the backline on a 5metre lineout there is nothing you can do to stop him diving over.

i hardly ever lose my own lineout. I snaffle maybe 1-2 lineouts every 4 matches. Technically in real rugby you should never lose your own throw.

Originally posted by cavan@Mar 21 2005, 08:35 PM
unless you're Steve Thompson
<
Ha ha ha........interesting figure - I think he missed something like 1 out of 15 throws against Scotland, a team whose strongest area is probably their lineout. Just something to think about.

Originally posted by cavan@Mar 22 2005, 07:29 AM
i still haven't hit a jumper at the back of the lineout yet. Sometimes I just don't bother trying to win it, just throwing long and gambling 50/50 that my backrow or flyhalf will gather it.

The AI has scored off the back of the lineout against me. Seems to me that if you do hit your jumper at the backline on a 5metre lineout there is nothing you can do to stop him diving over.
You have to send the last man running at the same time you throw in the ball... get a lot more of them that way.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Mar 22 2005, 08:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Webby @ Mar 22 2005, 08:06 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-cavan
@Mar 21 2005, 08:35 PM
unless you're Steve Thompson 
<
Ha ha ha........interesting figure - I think he missed something like 1 out of 15 throws against Scotland, a team whose strongest area is probably their lineout. Just something to think about. [/b]
Scotland were strong in the lineout maybe a couple of years ago but in up to and during the WC his throwing was a disaster.