Llanelli v Munster - HEC ¼ Final

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
21.gif
Llanelli Scarlets v Munster
22.gif
</div>

Llanelli resisted the urge to cash in on their quarter final appearance and decided to stay at Stradey for their quarter final, and rightly so. No point in giving up any possible advantage by giving Munster twice the amount of tickets.

Llanelli will have an anxious wait this week to see if Stephen Jones is fit to take his place following his broken wrist while Paul O'Connell's broken thumb at Murrayfield sees him miss out as.

Both sides have enjoyed decent wins in the Magners League prior to this game despite Munster fielding a second string side at Ravenhill but there's the risk that the internationals will be cold coming back into the side for such a massive game. Given their experience you'd expect that not to be the case.

The loss of O'Connell is a massive blow for Munster's aspirations of defending their ***le and strengthens Llanelli's stance as favourites. If they repeat their form of the pool stages then Llanelli should overcome the champions and secure their semi final birth. The only possible concern is that their best performance all came away from Stradey Park. So how much of a factor will that be???

Damn it I'm uneasy about this game. The Scarlets backline, Regan King in particular, could cause problems. Still, Munster do best with their backs to the wall!

The big thing is that Llanelli haven't been tested up front so far in the tournament, and with Toulose and Irish, they played teams that gave them acres of space by trying to play an open game. While Ulster were clearly a less talented team than Munster.

Regan King is a fantastic player however, and with Murphy's defensive frailties he could cause real problems if the game gets wide.

How he isn't in the NZ setup I have no idea, nothing I have seen has suggested to me that Conrad Smith is a better 13.

nz have a policy where they dont select over seas players i believe

which is a shame because he is the most talented centre, to come from nz at this moment!

This is gonna be a great game. I really love to see the Scarlets win it, but Munster is never an easy game. Munster are the current champions, so they will be up for it greatly, but everyone tries that little bit harder to beat current winners of a tournament.

Ironic how we are 'rewarded' with a home quarter final draw against the current European champions.

Deal with it, Leinster were no 1 seeds in 2005 and they got Leicester in the quarter finals, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I shall be supporting the Scarlets for this match. I admire the way they've been playing in Europe, I'm a big fan of Regan King, and if I'm honest I'd quite enjoy seeing the defending champions crash out.

Deal with it, Leinster were no 1 seeds in 2005 and they got Leicester in the quarter finals, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
[/b]
I am dealing with it ;) And I'm sure the scarlets will too.

Stephen Jones is playing, and Llanelli have all their other danger men in place: Popham, Peel and King. Their defence will be solid as well.

Munster haven't played their full team for months, so if Llanelli don't dominate the opening quarter it's goodnight to the hosts.

Plus Munster's backline attack may burst out of the blocks with ROG named as captain. But then their defence might fall to bits as well. Or will it be the slower, solid guys who line out at three-quarters? I'm always looking for something a bit flash, but a lot of people will be calling for Munner ball into the corner to drive the maul, while the backs stand in tackle position with grumpy looks on their faces.

Looks like a great match.

Barry Davies; Dafydd James, Regan King, Gavin Evans, Mark Jones; Stephen Jones, Dwayne Peel; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees, Deacon Manu, Vernon Cooper, Scott Macleod, Simon Easterby ©, Gavin Thomas, Alix Popham
Replacements: Ken Owens, John Davies, Inoke Afeaki, Dafydd Jones, Liam Davies, Ceiron Thomas, Matthew Watkins

IMO, apart from having Inoke on the bench instead of at #4, that's probably our strongest line-up. Could be a cracking game, or it could equally be a bit of a damp squib. Either way, I'm gonna tip the Scarlets for a narrow win.

Just have a sneaky feeling that Munster will shade this one, they just have the knack for the big occasion and it's always when it's least expected of them that they strike and that's certainly the case with this match.

<div class='quotemain'>
shot deacon MANU!!
[/b]
What's wrong with Deacon?
[/b][/quote]
Indeed, what is wrong with him? He's brilliant. (I suppose) :)

Llanelli are at full strength for tomorrow's game after wing Mark Jones passed a fitness test yesterday. For the defending champions Mick O'Driscoll replaces Paul O'Connell in the second row after overcoming his rib injury picked up in Rome.

Llanelli Scarlets: Barry Davies; Dafydd James, Regan King, Gavin Evans, Mark Jones; Stephen Jones, Dwayne Peel; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees, Deacon Manu; Vernon Cooper, Scott MacLeod;6 Simon Easterby (capt), Gavin Thomas, Alix Popham.Replacements: Ken Owens, John Davies, Inoke Afeaki, Dafydd Jones, Liam Davies, Ceiron Thomas, Matthew Watkins

Munster: Christian Cullen; John Kelly, Lifeimi Mafi, Trevor Halstead, Ian Dowling; Ronan O'Gara (capt), Peter Stringer; Marcus Horan, Jerry Flannery, John Hayes; Donncha O'Callaghan, Mick O'Driscoll; Alan Quinlan, David Wallace, Denis Leamy. Replacements: Frank Sheahan, Federico Pucciariello, Donncha Ryan, Anthony Foley/John O'Sullivan, Tomas O'Leary, Jeremy Manning, Barry Murphy

Kelly is the right man to defend the wing for Munster, but I was looking forward to having Carney on the bench. As it stands, I guess Mafi will move to wing, Murphy on at centre, if tries are needed late on.

Munster pack looks good. John O'Sullivan was crucial in two Munster tries against Ulster, so a bit surprised he's 50/50 with the walking wounded Foley.

Mark Jones was 14 for Wales, wasn't he? Some tackler.

some finnisher too!!

but he dnt need me to talk for him, he'll do his talking on the pitch tommorrow!!

Yeah, the Scarlets will be talking a lot: "Ah ref, it's Munner rugby - we can't beat that!"

Tough.

Latest posts