• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lomu playing for Cardiff???

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Dec 9 2005, 01:36 PM
lomu lays down for no one!!!
what about vinnie diesel?

dont think they can do it, coz on PES they havent got the real classic players audio, for the ones they dont have liscenses for, eg Beckenbauer

On a side note, they can hypothetically, create a generic player called Joseph Lomu, for the unliscenced comps, and just have the surname in the audio.

Pretty sure Lomu isnt copywrite with anyone....when u have Andrew Lomu in RL2, i dunno how u can get exclusive rights to the name 'Lomu'

i think he might be, when someone went to swordfish and said about the roster bath had a player who signed very recently, lomu signing has been done for a while..keep the faith. You can guarantee he'll be in a classic match or 2 aswell anyway.

Lomu signed for Cardiff on 30th September. Bath signed Salesi Finau on 8th September and he's in the game. Lomu might just have missed out.

Then again, Swordfish may have included his likenesses and stats like they did in WCR, and because of the delay they may have taken the time to just pop him into Cardiff while they wait. Surely that wouldn't have been too much hassle... Although thats a lot of maybes.

Besides, I don't know how this sort of thing works but, they may have done all of the final code by that time and it may have all been sitting on Ubis desk so to speak, meaning they couldn't do anymore...

If I remember rightly, the original JLRugby had real names and commentary for every player in the game - although the list of licenses was very short, and probably only even limited to Jonah himself.

Excuse my ignorance, but what has changed since then, that means displaying a name or someone saying 'George Gregan' now has to have someone's permission, that the original JLR didn't need?

Are those of us from the forum who are in the game receiving a licensing fee for allowing our names into the game, or did it say somewhere on the thread that adding your name consitutued an agreement???

If so, could I have got my "mates" Tana Umaga and Joe Rokococo to have put their names on the list to be have been used?!!?

Good point, Quin. I really don't see why you need a licence to use a name in a video game. I mean in Cricket 2004 (Ea) they put Warne's name into the player creator so that he could be made. What's the problem with putting Lomu in even if he isn't in the original agme?

Coco

Commentary name... fine. The only problem is having it written down.

With rugby in the professional era we have to realise that licensing will become more and more expensive. Players must be licensed for the name to be written down and for likenesses to appear, otherwise there may be an invasion of rights or something.

Yeah he probably will be in the new EA game.

But what would you rather have, a good looking game graphically wise with dodgy gameplay, or a quality playing game with decent graphics where the creators have asked for what we want etc?

I know which one I would choose, but I might get both of them.

Coco

OK ... don't want to spoil the fun ... but I can't believe that none of the 4 people who came to our studio to play RC2006 checked to see if was in the Cardiff squad.

Maybe he is?

Not going to confirm it thought, it would spoil an entertaining thread ... lol.
<

Okay guys, betting is now open.

I have 'Yes' for $1.40, and 'No' for $1.60

Yes is the slight favourite, however, in recent weeks, 'No' has been popping up everywhere and is gaining momentum, so could be good for a nice 10er...

Originally posted by MightyQuin@Dec 10 2005, 12:24 AM
If I remember rightly, the original JLRugby had real names and commentary for every player in the game - although the list of licenses was very short, and probably only even limited to Jonah himself.

Excuse my ignorance, but what has changed since then, that means displaying a name or someone saying 'George Gregan' now has to have someone's permission, that the original JLR didn't need?
Things have changed an enormous amount since then. Codemasters took a flyer on JLR. They had no team licenses and at the end of the day the players were pretty unrecognisable. Brian Moore would have found it difficult to prove that the bunch of pixels on the screen was actually him.

There is a sort of reasonableness test that we use. If you took the player graphic out of the game and showed it to someone with a reasonable knowledge of that subject (ie. rugby), would they know who it was. If the answer is yes, then you need a license. That's not a 'letter of the law' test but it's a good guide.

The actual laws surrounding player images, player names (written and audio) and competition/location/events copyright is a total minefield. It's unbelievably complex and frustrating.

Generally the players rights are owned by their respective RFU ... so Tana is owned by the NZRFU, but his image rights are owned by him. But whether we could use an image of him on the box by doing a deal direct with him will depend on the exact terms of his deal with the NZRFU.

Remember WCR was going to have Howlett on the box in NZ. A deal was done and the artwork produced - I saw it. But the RFU complained and I believe it actually went to arbitration in the end (I do not know all of the details). Acclaim lost and we ended up using ZZB because he was no longer an international player. Nightmare!

And that's just a tiny taster of the crap that goes on in the background where licenses are concerned.

EA have us totally locked out of SH too - we can't get diddly down there.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Dec 10 2005, 10:55 PM

I will have £100 million pounds on yes please.

<

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish+Dec 10 2005, 11:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trev@Swordfish @ Dec 10 2005, 11:04 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Dec 10 2005, 10:55 PM

I will have £100 million pounds on yes please.

<
[/b]
There goes any chance of a profit.... *sigh* Oh well, back to Mime College I guess...

------------

And on the ZZB thing. That peeved me off. We got the game pretty late because of that, and he wasn't even in the game...We still had to put his name in ourselves.

------------

Back to the Lomu thing, are you going to have a Team Lomu again?

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Dec 11 2005, 12:15 AM
And on the ZZB thing. That peeved me off. We got the game pretty late because of that, and he wasn't even in the game...We still had to put his name in ourselves.
lol - so true. i was like, where the f*** is zinny? you would think that they would at least make him in the game, even if he has retired ages ago.

good for him though - how i would kill to get my name in a game
<

Latest posts