• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London Scottish

Melhor Time

Bench Player
Two World Cup Pumas have been signed by London Scottish. Apparently (can someone confirm this) the club wants to win promotion to the Aviva Premiership. Scrumhalf Alfredo Lalanne joins from London Irish after three years there but not too much game time. Winger Agustín Gosio joins on his first professional contract. he had a great season for Los Pampas XV in the Vodacom Cup as a centre.

Neither Puma is likely to feature in internationals in 2012 and maybe never again but its a pretty good coup d´tat for London Scottish.

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2011/10/alfredo-lalanne-signs-for-london.html

Two World Cup Pumas have been signed by London Scottish. Apparently (can someone confirm this) the club wants to win promotion to the Aviva Premiership.

All the Championship teams say they are building to get into the Premiership but all those teams such as London Welsh/Cornish Pirates etc have the same problem that the Premier Rugby say that their grounds aren't good enough

Neither Puma is likely to feature in internationals in 2012 and maybe never again but its a pretty good coup d´tat for London Scottish.

I don't rate Lalanne highly at all, during the two losses to Scotland in 2010 he was one of the main problems, Vergallo and Figuerola who both play in Top 14 are so much better, and I have no idea why Lalanne went to thee World Cup when he was third choice at London Irish (Darren Allinson was preferred) and didn't start a match all season

I also don't know why they took Gosio, he's not good enough for international and I would have taken Bustos Moyano ahead of him, players who play for a second division English side shouldn't be good enough to play for a side who are about to join the Tri Nations

it shows that the Pumas could do with more centres who aren't converted 10's that Gosio got called up, but hopefully Bosch, Tiesi, Rodríguez and Fernández will be enough in the short term

maybe the coaches should look at trying to convert one of their wingers or full backs into an outside centre perhaps?

I agree that Gosio is unlikely to appear much for the Pumas in the future, but Lalanne has more chance but hopefully Phelan finally sees that Figuerola is much better

All the Championship teams say they are building to get into the Premiership but all those teams such as London Welsh/Cornish Pirates etc have the same problem that the Premier Rugby say that their grounds aren't good enough

That and Scottish just aren't good enough at the moment.

bunch of wankers. Scots have used my club (Richmond)'s ground for years. We both took advantage of the professional era and got our way into the Premiership. We both went bust and dropped down 9 tiers in the English league system.

For the first five years or so, Richmond were on the same level as Scots, getting promoted every season. Richmond, in light of lessons learnt from the 90s, have a strict amateur policy. We currently sit in National 2 South, and this season me and the club are very proud of a record of Played 8, Won 8, Bonus Points 8. Still without paying any players.

Scots, on the other hand, began paying players a few years ago, which accelerated them up the divisions. They also poached our head coach, Brett Taylor, right at the beginning of the season a few years ago. It was nice to see him on the sidelines coaching lowly Barnes as we spanked them 36-13 away from home in early September.

Anyway, Scots are trying to buy their way back into the top league, and it's ****ing pointless. They're a nothing club, their mini and youth section is weak as. Richmond have produced two Armitage brothers, Joe Simpson, Dominic Waldouck and Tom May among others. They won't be able to sustain a Premiership team, they have neither the fans nor the actual club to back it up with.

it shows that the Pumas could do with more centres who aren't converted 10's that Gosio got called up, but hopefully Bosch, Tiesi, Rodríguez and Fernández will be enough in the short term

maybe the coaches should look at trying to convert one of their wingers or full backs into an outside centre perhaps?

Benjamin Urdapilleta is looking good at 13 for Harlequins. He´s a 10 playing 13 for them. Also, Santiago Fernández played a season at 13 for Hindu in 2009 so with Tiesi and Bosch I think its okay. They are the best guys for 13. Miguel Avramovic is doing the job for Agen at 13 but is not of international quality. Bosch played 10 for Biarritz on Saturday. He should be back at 13 soon though.

Clearly, Lucas González Amorosino has got to be the fullback for Los Pumas. Move Martín Rodríguez to 12 or put him on the bench. His form at the World Cup was well off his best. Hernández´s recovery is encouraging and he´s doing well so far for Racing Metro. If Argentina continue to lack a goalkicker then Martín Bustos Moyano needs to be in the team. Bosch has shown to be better than Rodríguez while Hernández is also a better kicker.

Adeus Gosio and Lalanne. Please!

Benjamin Urdapilleta is looking good at 13 for Harlequins. He´s a 10 playing 13 for them. Also, Santiago Fernández played a season at 13 for Hindu in 2009 so with Tiesi and Bosch I think its okay. They are the best guys for 13. Miguel Avramovic is doing the job for Agen at 13 but is not of international quality. Bosch played 10 for Biarritz on Saturday. He should be back at 13 soon though.

Clearly, Lucas González Amorosino has got to be the fullback for Los Pumas. Move Martín Rodríguez to 12 or put him on the bench. His form at the World Cup was well off his best. Hernández´s recovery is encouraging and he´s doing well so far for Racing Metro. If Argentina continue to lack a goalkicker then Martín Bustos Moyano needs to be in the team. Bosch has shown to be better than Rodríguez while Hernández is also a better kicker.

Adeus Gosio and Lalanne. Please!

None of the converted 10's who play 13 for Argentina are ball carriers, that is one thing I think Argentina need in the centre: a ball carrier

I disagree regarding Lucas González Amorosino, I think he should be the Argentine equivalent of Shane Williams on the left wing, with Imhoff on the other wing providing a balance between short and jinky winger and and lean athletic winger, a bit like Wales have at the minute

I would have Bustos Moyano at full back, I have been really impressed by him playing as a full back, good on the counter, makes few errors and is very good goal kicker

I also disagree about Hernández, I watched Racing Métro v Toulon and he was a bit anonymous as full back to be honest, it's too early to say he's doing well

I agree about Rodríguez, he can be very good and makes some good breaks, but he makes too many errors at the minute for international rugby, his up and unders during the World Cup were poor in my opinion especially compared to the ones Hernández used to do, also I think I remember he did well in the 2009 November series at 12

Melhor: is it confirmed Contepomi has retired?

15. Bustos Moyano/Hernández
14. Imhoff
13. Bosch
12. Fernández/Hernández/Rodríguez
11. Amorosino/Camacho
10. Hernández/Fernández
9. Vergallo/Figuerola

Contepomi has made no decision yet. I don´t think he´ll play again to be honest. Its similar to Pichot after 2007 when he didn´t retire until mid 2008 despite never playing another test after the World Cup.

A crash ball centre is possible but there is nobody of note. Avramovic for instance. The guys in the Pumas backs these days are all former Sevens players. Rodríguez, Camacho, González Amorosino.. They won the 2009 USA Sevens. A hard running centre can be replaced by putting a big guy in the backs in broken play or lineouts. Stick Creevy there or Leguizamón. Scotland did this well a few years ago.

González Amorosino can play wing and fullback as you know. The same is true of Bustos Moyano and Horacio Agulla. They could mount a good strategy to utilize this well.

Albacete is out for 2 months right now with a broken ankle sustained on Saturday. He´ll be back and as captain I think. He´s on contract with Toulouse until RWC 2015 then he wants to join a Japanese club.

Argentina are to host France in June 2012 in a three match series and then have the Four Nations. So, they´ll certainly be testing out different players. Its not official yet but looks like the European based players, esp the English, will have a maximum of five matches each during the Four Nations. So the team will have to swap a bit.

Martín Bustos Moyano will certainly play but maybe not initially. It´ll depend on who is in the Top 14 Semi Final and moreso the Final itself as those players will certainly miss the first French testmatch. the Top 14 Final will be on June 09 so realistically those involved will only play the third match. France could be spanked if it is a Toulouse vs Clermont final. It would mean no Vergallo and Albacete though too. They will, at best, be on the bench

Vs France for the initial match it may be something like:

15 Lucas González Amorosino
14 Gonzalo Camacho
13 Marcelo Bosch
12 Martín Rodríguez Gurruchaga
11 Juan Imhoff
10 Juan Martín Hernández
9 Agustín Figuerola
------
20 Alfredo Lalanne
21 Santiago Fernández
22 Martín Bustos Moyano

Contepomi has made no decision yet. I don´t think he´ll play again to be honest. Its similar to Pichot after 2007 when he didn´t retire until mid 2008 despite never playing another test after the World Cup.

A crash ball centre is possible but there is nobody of note. Avramovic for instance. The guys in the Pumas backs these days are all former Sevens players. Rodríguez, Camacho, González Amorosino.. They won the 2009 USA Sevens. A hard running centre can be replaced by putting a big guy in the backs in broken play or lineouts. Stick Creevy there or Leguizamón. Scotland did this well a few years ago.

González Amorosino can play wing and fullback as you know. The same is true of Bustos Moyano and Horacio Agulla. They could mount a good strategy to utilize this well.

Albacete is out for 2 months right now with a broken ankle sustained on Saturday. He´ll be back and as captain I think. He´s on contract with Toulouse until RWC 2015 then he wants to join a Japanese club.

Argentina are to host France in June 2012 in a three match series and then have the Four Nations. So, they´ll certainly be testing out different players. Its not official yet but looks like the European based players, esp the English, will have a maximum of five matches each during the Four Nations. So the team will have to swap a bit.

Martín Bustos Moyano will certainly play but maybe not initially. It´ll depend on who is in the Top 14 Semi Final and moreso the Final itself as those players will certainly miss the first French testmatch. the Top 14 Final will be on June 09 so realistically those involved will only play the third match. France could be spanked if it is a Toulouse vs Clermont final. It would mean no Vergallo and Albacete though too. They will, at best, be on the bench

Vs France for the initial match it may be something like:

15 Lucas González Amorosino
14 Gonzalo Camacho
13 Marcelo Bosch
12 Martín Rodríguez Gurruchaga
11 Juan Imhoff
10 Juan Martín Hernández
9 Agustín Figuerola
------
20 Alfredo Lalanne
21 Santiago Fernández
22 Martín Bustos Moyano

why does the Top14 have to go on so long?:mad:

that means that the matches could be a farce like in 2008 when France sent a pathetic side to Australia due to the Top 14 going on so long, so that means Argentina must hope Montpellier don't get to the final!, at least it looks like Biarritz, Stade Français won't make it

as you say France would struggle if it is Toulouse v Clermont with Biarritz and Perpignan in the semis

that English player rule would only really effect Ayerza, but I think every effort should be made to keep ALL players as Argentina can't afford to be even one or two of their best players short against the level of opposition they'll face

as for the running centre, is Ascárate good?

Bloody hell, it's weird to find an actual local on the site. Thinking of joining Richmond once my uni applications are all done, good to see they've got a sense of team spirit.

London Scottish never struck me as a side with much of a fan backing, Cornish Pirates deserve to be in the premiership over anyone else in my, admittedly quite ignorant, opinion.

why does the Top14 have to go on so long?:mad:

that means that the matches could be a farce like in 2008 when France sent a pathetic side to Australia due to the Top 14 going on so long, so that means Argentina must hope Montpellier don't get to the final!, at least it looks like Biarritz, Stade Français won't make it

as you say France would struggle if it is Toulouse v Clermont with Biarritz and Perpignan in the semis

that English player rule would only really effect Ayerza, but I think every effort should be made to keep ALL players as Argentina can't afford to be even one or two of their best players short against the level of opposition they'll face

as for the running centre, is Ascárate good?

Ascárate is another Sevens player. He is in the team in the Pan American Games this coming weekend in Mexico. He´s in the same boat as Gozio.

The Top 14 final is, to be fair, due to the World Cup. Unfortunate but canpt do much about it now.

Yeah, Ayerza is the key as you point out. Assuming the English rulings go ahead.

BTW Leo Senatore is about to sign for Toulon!

Last edited:
Aedaphon, you'd be very welcome at Richmond. Check the website for more info, but they run mini/ youth sides from U7 to 18, then there's colts sides and a Heavies side for those a bit longer in the tooth. Then there's a Richmond Barbarians team which is more casual in terms of training, plus 3 standard senior sides.

The one thing the scots could be thinking about in terms of fans is their Scottish moniker - London Welsh and Irish attract exile fans in the same way. However, London Irish have been a top flight club for years and still don't manage large crowds.

In fact, Irish are the only London club not to have taken games to Twickenham/ Wembley. And Sarries and Wasps also have some success to motivate fans with. Scots will have to market themselves seriously hard if they're going to make it worth their while.

Latest posts