• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Luger Dies

M

munster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Tragedy struck the Winter Olympics just hours before the opening ceremony in Vancouver, as Georgian luge hopeful Nodar Kumaritashvili was killed following a horror crash.

The 21-year-old Olympian was having his second practice run when he suffered a horrific 90mph crash that saw him fly off the track and collide with a metal pole at the Whistler Sliding Centre during his second training run.

According to reporters at the scene, Kumaritashvili struck a steel pole near the finish after losing control of his sled on the final turn and clearing the ice-coated wall along the side of the track.

Kumaritashvili needed emergency CPR resuscitation treatment at the scene and was unconscious when being placed on a stretcher and rushed away towards an air ambulance.

Thoughts
"Our first thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues of the athlete," said IOC president Jacques Rogge.

"The whole Olympic Family is struck by this tragedy which clearly casts a shadow over these Games."

Vancouver Games chief John Furlong also spoke in a joint statement with the IOC and the International Luge Federation.

"We are deeply struck by this tragedy and join the IOC in extending our condolences to the family, friends and team mates of this athletes, who came to Vancouver to follow his Olympic dream," read the statement.

The IOC said doctors tried to revive Kumaritashvili in hospital, and added that an inquiry into his death would be launched.

"This is a terrible accident. This is the very gravest thing that can happen in sport, and our thoughts and those of the 'luge family', are naturally with those touched by this event," added International Luge Federation President Josef Fendt.

The Georgian National Olympic Committee later confirmed their seven athletes would compete at the Games and, at the opening cermony later on Friday, the Georgian flag included a black fringe and their team members wore black stripes as a mark of respect.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,18006_5945548,00.html[/b]
R.I.P. from Ireland...

Freak accident, my thoughts are with his family, friends, countrymen, and fellow athletes.

R.I.P

R.I.P

I think it's odd that the metal girders had no padding/protection on them. At 90mph it would've probably made no difference, but still...

R.I.P

Terrible news for the sporting world

(when I saw the thread ***le I though it was referring to Dan :huh: )

Well this young boy died in a terrible way

Speed is huge there and even if Iron constructions were cushioned with special coverings he had no chance

Some say this was his fault due to low skill (but he was quite experienced guy not to give himself to death just for trainings standings)

Ans some argue it was the lack of safety measures on path that took his life

anyway terrible news

Saw a bit about this on CBS news (my dad was watching BBC News 24 last night and they show CBS on there at some points) and the American reporters were making it sound like the Canadians planned for this to happen, it was ridiculous =/

Apparently the Canadian authorities restricted access to the site before the Olympics to allow their Bobsleigh and Lugers extra time to practice.

This meant that when Kumaritashvili and other foreign althetes began their day there they had not had much experience on the Whistler course.

The American lugers are calling the final turn "50/50" because thats apparently the chances of you coming through alive. The course is lightning fast and very difficult.

This is basically the sport's "Ayrton Senna" moment and like F1 circuits we could see a move away from ever faster and tighter courses in future.

That is the biggest pile of crap I have ever heard.

It was just a freak accident and Nodar lost control. It's terrible. but no one should be pointing any fingers.

No one got seriously injured on it, but during practice runs, tons of people wiped out.

some of the idiot minds has created a group on facebook, as if this group was dedicated to Nodar Kumaritashvili's name

later this freak uploaded some photos which no more than bring this young athletes name down

So many freaks run world wide web :) :) :)

God damn, this is the first time I envy hackers <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 14 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Apparently the Canadian authorities restricted access to the site before the Olympics to allow their Bobsleigh and Lugers extra time to practice.

This meant that when Kumaritashvili and other foreign althetes began their day there they had not had much experience on the Whistler course.

The American lugers are calling the final turn "50/50" because thats apparently the chances of you coming through alive. The course is lightning fast and very difficult.

This is basically the sport's "Ayrton Senna" moment and like F1 circuits we could see a move away from ever faster and tighter courses in future.[/b]

well it played into the Germans hands alright as the faster starters were always going to come out on top like they did yesterday.

As for restricting access, they had plenty of access as there were world cup races at the venue, they knew what was facing them heading into the games.

Latest posts