• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

Very true, hopefully it continues to grow. Would an increase in teams lead to a dilution of the brand or is there the talent available to fill that increase?

That topic was raised in the interview with the Commissioner and he said that there was plenty of local talent. I guess only time will tell on that. Some of the cities that may add a MLR team in the next couple of years are Columbus (Ohio), St. Louis, Vancouver, Halifax (Nova Scotia) and Miami.

That topic was raised in the interview with the Commissioner and he said that there was plenty of local talent. I guess only time will tell on that. Some of the cities that may add a MLR team in the next couple of years are Columbus (Ohio), St. Louis, Vancouver, Halifax (Nova Scotia) and Miami.

Will be fantastic to see it cross the border into Canada like the NBA and NHL.

Will be fantastic to see it cross the border into Canada like the NBA and NHL.

There's already a MLR team in Toronto and I agree with you that more expansion into Canada would be great. :cool:

What cities in Canada would be best suited for a MLR team?

That's a good question. Toronto already has a team (as we know) and Vancouver and Halifax are in the mix. I'd definitely go with Vancouver first and foremost. They've hosted International events and have drawn big crowds. And they're not too far from Seattle, so they'd have an automatic rival waiting for them. I don't know if rugby is popular in Montreal or not? If so, I'd put them on the list as well. Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg are too far north IMHO, you'd have some serious weather issues. The games in Utah and Toronto already get snow, but it would be much worse in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, etc. I remember reading that 90% of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of the American border.

Last edited:
That's a good question. Toronto already has a team (as we know) and Vancouver and Halifax are in the mix. I'd definitely go with Vancouver first and foremost. They've hosted International events and have drawn big crowds. And they're not too far from Seattle, so they'd have an automatic rival waiting for them. I don't know if rugby is popular in Montreal or not? If so, I'd put them on the list as well. Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg are too far north IMHO, you'd have some serious weather issues. The games in Utah and Toronto already get snow, but it would be much worse in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, etc. I remember reading that 90% of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of the American border.
There doesn't seem to be any interest coming from the Vancouver area though. The ever increasing joining fees surely aren't helping either.
I've tried to send you a private message but I think you've disabled them or something.

DALLAS JACKALS ANNOUNCE HEAD COACH FOR INAUGURAL SEASON

The Dallas Jackals are excited to announce the Head Coach and Director of Rugby, Allen Clarke. Clarke has over 30 years of rugby experience with a proven track record as a player, coach and providing high performance pathways. He won eight International caps for Ireland, played over 100 games for Northampton Saints and was a key member of the Ulster team that won the European Cup in 1999.

"I'm delighted to be appointed Director of Rugby for the Dallas Jackals. When I spoke with Phil Camm and Elaine Vassie, I was impressed with the club's vision, their plans for the development of rugby in the area and their personal integrity," said Clarke.

Growing up in Dungannon, Ireland, Clarke was first introduced to the game at the age of eleven at Royal School Dungannon. Seven years later, he gained his first International honors for Ireland U18s, and then represented Ireland U21s two years later. Focusing on his rugby career after college, Clarke played for Northampton Saints in England and Ulster, his home province. During this time, he earned his first senior International cap in 1995.

After retiring from playing, Clarke transitioned into coaching. In 2001 he was named Director of Elite Player Development for Ulster, establishing Ulster's first academy program. Clarke was then named Senior Assistant Coach in 2004 and guided Ulster to a first Celtic League ***le in 2006.

Following a successful five years with the IRFU, Clarke returned to his native province as Director of Elite Player Development. There he further expanded the scale and success of the province's age grade programs before being appointed Assistant Coach in 2014. Clarke was then named Ospreys Forwards Coach in 2017 with a subsequent promotion to Head Coach. He led the Ospreys to a number one ranking in Wales and a qualification for the Heineken Champions Cup.

Rory Best, Clarke's former player, said, "throughout my career I had many different coaches, but Allen Clarke helped me succeed as a professional rugby player. What sets Clarkie apart is his ability to identify and develop young players, then his attention to detail and an unparalleled appetite for work to continue their development into their professional playing career. Clarkie will never settle for anything less than his best and instills his work ethic and drive into whoever he works with."

In 2007, Clarke was appointed High Performance Manager for the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) overseeing a talent pathway which would develop players for the professional game and International XV. His coaching abilities are recognized internationally for the development of a number of Ireland players. He is renowned for his great knowledge, love of the game, work ethic, and embodiment of the core values of rugby.

At an international level, Clarke has been Head Coach for Ireland U20s, Ireland A and Emerging Ireland; leading the Emerging Ireland team to victory in the 2015 Tbilisi Cup. The draw of an international opportunity in the U.S. led Clarke to his position as the first Head Coach & Director of Rugby for the Dallas Jackals.

"After an extensive search, we are proud to have attracted and secured a Director of Rugby of Allen's caliber. Development of domestic talent is a key priority for the Dallas Jackals. Allen's passion and expertise in this area coupled with his elite level coaching made him the standout candidate for us." — Phil Camm, GM of the Jackals

This role will combine his elite level of coaching experience with the opportunity to create high performance pathways. Passionate about the growth of domestic talent, Clarke said, "Rugby is a growing sport in America," and, "the quality of the MLR is improving at a rapid rate each year."

Clarke continued, "I'm looking forward to immersing myself in the culture of Texas, building connections with the community and playing my part in the growth of rugby in Dallas. We have a lot of work to do, but everybody is determined to work tirelessly to achieve success on and off the field."

The Dallas Jackals are proud to welcome Allen Clarke, his wife Kerry and their two children Ariane & Alexander to the pack!

Major League Rugby and The Rugby Shop announce an apparel sales partnership.

Is there anyway I can watch the MLR in the UK?

ESPN+ streams MLR games, as well as Super Rugby & Pro 14. The good thing about ESPN+ is it's inexpensive and if you miss a game Live you can watch On Demand later.

@RugbyUSA
I'm looking to pick a team to follow in MLR this coming season, any cub got a good Irish connection? I think m brother is going for SD Legion so I can't follow them is all!

@RugbyUSA
I'm looking to pick a team to follow in MLR this coming season, any cub got a good Irish connection? I think m brother is going for SD Legion so I can't follow them is all!
RUNY has tonnes of Irish players (at least 10), their chariman is an Irish businessman and they are linked very closely to the New York GAA team. Shane Horgan and Eddie O'Sullivan are aso involved as advisors in some capacity.

Latest posts